Chapala.com Webboard

Parking ban/block

Situation :  Very narrow street. If someone parks their car in front of the gate on the other side of the street it makes it practically impossible to exit the garage. We've tried leaving notes and it has worked up to now but a new local resident claims they have the right to park there. I believe it is possible to have the local authorities make it illegal to park there. Has anyone gone through the process of getting such a ban ? If so what was invlolved ? Does it have to be the owner of the affected house that has to make the claim ? Thanks

This is in San Antonio btw

You can stop people from parking in front of YOUR house/gate. Is the new local resident the owner of the property opposite your gate ? If not then talk to the owner of the property.
If he/she is the owner then you may not have much recourse other than taking your vehicle out when you can. Have you tried backing into your parking area?

How is your "practically impossible" more important than the perceived need of the other person to park there?

If it is in front of a gate, one would assume it is the gate and residence of the person parking and they have a right to do so.

When leaving, give yourself an extra minute or two to maneuver out of your parking space and keep a peaceful relationship with your neighbor. They could be doing something(s) far more disturbing to your peace. 

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Maybe every time you need to leave go knock on their door and ask them to temporarily move their car so you can get out.  After several times maybe they will get tired of moving their car and park somewhere else if possible

The owner of the car lives inside a narrow alley with multiple homes which has a gate. We don't know exactly where they live but leaving a note asking them not to park there was removed and ignored twice and yesterday it resulted in an argument when they finally came out to move their car . They are just refusing to not block our gate. Yesterday   it took 15 minutes before they finally relented, we are tired of having to deal with the situation. Being friendly has to be a two way street ( no pun intended )

Last year in the middle of the night a huge load of boulders was dumped on our street. The boulders prevented parking and I was the one who eventually paid to have them removed even though they did not affect us.

37 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Situation :  Very narrow street. If someone parks their car in front of the gate on the other side of the street it makes it practically impossible to exit the garage. We've tried leaving notes and it has worked up to now but a new local resident claims they have the right to park there. I believe it is possible to have the local authorities make it illegal to park there. Has anyone gone through the process of getting such a ban ? If so what was invlolved ? Does it have to be the owner of the affected house that has to make the claim ? Thanks

This is in San Antonio btw

I have to wonder if this situation existed when you bought or rented the house.

1 minute ago, geeser said:

I have to wonder if this situation existed when you bought or rented the house.

Its always been this way  but our little street has turned into a mini pueblo. Pretty sure an illegal house was built at the end of it now housing multiple families. 

53 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Its always been this way  but our little street has turned into a mini pueblo. Pretty sure an illegal house was built at the end of it now housing multiple families. 

Eric I can understand your frustration . You would think the person would park in his house or at least have the courtesy of not blocking you. I have seen spaces opposite a garage painted yellow and have some number painted on the curb. Maybe check with City Hall or Transio 's office, also consider a "facilitator" to make the approach as some mordia may be necessary . Good luck and let's know what happens

Maybe there is no easy solution and you should consider a up and over door which would give you more space. Many of these streets were constructed before car parking was a issue. With prosperity comes "other" problems

Sadly parking is a major problem in all the town's and villages in Lakeside  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Eric I can understand your frustration . You would think the person would park in his house or at least have the courtesy of not blocking you. I have seen spaces opposite a garage painted yellow and have some number painted on the curb. Maybe check with City Hall or Transio 's office, also consider a "facilitator" to make the approach as some mordia may be necessary . Good luck and let's know what happens

Maybe there is no easy solution and you should consider a up and over door which would give you more space. Many of these streets were constructed before car parking was a issue. With prosperity comes "other" problems

Sadly parking is a major problem in all the town's and villages in Lakeside  

Yes, I've seen the same situation in many narrow streets in Ajijic where the opposite side of the street from a gate is painted with a number from the government. This is what I want to do. 

Oh and btw, there is ample street parking about 100 feet away for the local residents who don't have off street parking

3 minutes ago, Willie said:

Yes, those with numbers have to be "purchased" from city hall....not sure what it would take for your situation but for mine, there were a lot of hoops.....

Sounds like fun 🤕

I am sure you are not going to do this but all of our mexican friends say in mexico if people park in places not respecting others they puncture their tires.  The cost of repair is not worth parking there anymore........I would not do it and I'm sure you will not do it.  Just thought I'd tell you what alot of them do, so we are told.  They say No Parking signs are too expensive for them and puncturing the tire is the "mexican way".....lol

We also live on a very narrow street in Ajijic.  We often experience a situation similar to yours where someone attending a meeting in the AA Clubhouse has parked partially in our driveway.  There's a power pole located on the opposite side of the street from our driveway.  At the best of times, it's difficult to get into or out of the driveway due to the narrow nature of the street and location of the pole.  When one or more have parked us in, it's impossible.  

Many times we've had to interrupt AA meetings to ask someone to move their car.  Other times, we've parked a block away and waited for the meeting to end.  We've prepared a flyer in English and Spanish and leave it on the windshield of the offending car. 

Most are apologetic but some don't seem to understand that if we had a life-threatening emergency and needed out of the driveway to get to the Clinic or Hospital, we don't have time to locate whose car is blocking our exit.  

We approached CFE and asked if they could move the power pole and got a strong "NO!"  After asking again, we were told for a very high price, they would relocate the pole.  So, we continue the dance.  Wishing you luck with getting your neighbor to be more considerate.

Cheers!

Val  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shag said:

I am sure you are not going to do this but all of our mexican friends say in mexico if people park in places not respecting others they puncture their tires.  The cost of repair is not worth parking there anymore........I would not do it and I'm sure you will not do it.  Just thought I'd tell you what alot of them do, so we are told.  They say No Parking signs are too expensive for them and puncturing the tire is the "mexican way".....lol

I'm pretty sure that would backfire and is too extreme of a measure for me , plus  my car is worth a lot more than theirs. I sometimes park on the street in front of our gate for brief periods, too much stress to worry about consequences.

Its never good to have enemies in Mexico is say

I once had a problem like that, with a certain gringa visitor to a neighbor's weekly event. She felt really entitled to park as close as possible, which was right across from my garage door on a narrow Ajijic one way street. When all else failed, I simply taped a small note to her windshield, right at eye level, with lots of very, very sticky packaging tape. It was hard to remove, and left adhesive to be removed with solvents. It worked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The permits require an application, photos, and payment of a fee. The office is in Chapala. The more convincing the detail of your application and documentation, the easier it is to approve. Once approved, you have to do the yellow curb painting and post the permit number. They do come and verify.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I once had a problem like that, with a certain gringa visitor to a neighbor's weekly event. She felt really entitled to park as close as possible, which was right across from my garage door on a narrow Ajijic one way street. When all else failed, I simply taped a small note to her windshield, right at eye level, with lots of very, very sticky packaging tape. It was hard to remove, and left adhesive to be removed with solvents. It worked.

I suggest RV it worked because the culprit was not a Mexican

3 hours ago, ea93105 said:

I'm pretty sure that would backfire and is too extreme of a measure for me , plus  my car is worth a lot more than theirs. I sometimes park on the street in front of our gate for brief periods, too much stress to worry about consequences.

Its never good to have enemies in Mexico is say

yes, i would never ever do that and never recommend anyone doing it.  Just thought it kind of 'funny" what they do.....really not funny...just could not think of another word

Perhaps, someday when you have time, pull out as far as you can and then go back in your house and wait.  Traffic will back up as will the noise.  If someone comes and asks that you move your car, sweetly answer that you will when they move so you can get out.  That will have someone else asking for you and will make the social cost to them much higher without doing any damage.

Repeat as required.

• Like 1

Just now, Colo-Rick said:

Perhaps, someday when you have time, pull out as far as you can and then go back in your house and wait.  Traffic will back up as will the noise.  If someone comes and asks that you move your car, sweetly answer that you will when they move so you can get out.  That will have someone else asking for you and will make the social cost to them much higher without doing any damage.

Repeat as required.

Then maybe some one will call the Transios and they will call the tow truck and remove the offending car....perfect.......... problem solved...or not?

2 minutes ago, Colo-Rick said:

Repeat as required.

I did just that yesterday and someone knocked on our door but the owner of the offending car was hiding and didn't come even with all the commotion. LOL  So I moved my car to let traffic through. I think the message got though to the offender, until the next time that is.

1 minute ago, lakeside7 said:

Then maybe some one will call the Transios and they will call the tow truck and remove the offending car....perfect.......... problem solved...or not?

Once we have the no parking permit that will be the next step