Chapala.com Webboard

what are your thoughts on travel after the Bans are lifted?

Have some point in the medium future, social distancing will be relaxed. I personally feel the effects all of the virus are going to last for many years.

My question really is if / when travel Bans are lifted, How likely are you to go back to the airlines?

I am asking this because I feel at some point in the future, I will want / need to go back to the US for medical reasons.

Having flowing much more that I enjoy, I can only envision how the airlines will look to pack more and more people into their planes, and that worries me. It also concerns me how about how I might drive to the border of the US. safety to me is important and I don't feel that driving up to the US is really that safe.

Also as a PostScript, How likely are you to go cruising once it is available?

Thank you very much I am very interested in what your thoughts are.

What of the airlines and their schedules will be left after this?  We have all become accustomed to being able to fly almost anywhere on every day of the week.  The airlines aren't going to fly empty planes, that is even worse than parking them in the desert.  

Tourism may never be the same again and that has big implications for Mexico in the long term.

My fantasy is the U.S., Canada and Mexico working jointly to get manufacturers out of China and back here to our three countries.  Japan has taken the first step, allocating some billions to motivate and help their manufacturers to get out of China.  Our three countries should follow suit IMO.

• Like 5

If and when I fly again, I will simply choose from what's available on any given day to get to my destination in the fastest time and preferably direct, but I will always wear a mask and have sanitizing towels in a ziplock in my purse.

18 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What of the airlines and their schedules will be left after this?  We have all become accustomed to being able to fly almost anywhere on every day of the week.  The airlines aren't going to fly empty planes, that is even worse than parking them in the desert.  

Tourism may never be the same again and that has big implications for Mexico in the long term.

My fantasy is the U.S., Canada and Mexico working jointly to get manufacturers out of China and back here to our three countries.  Japan has taken the first step, allocating some billions to motivate and help their manufacturers to get out of China.  Our three countries should follow suit IMO.

I have to agree with your fantasy 110%.

Actually at this point many airlines are flying empty planes because they are required to maintain a certain minimum number of plates from point-to-point, usually including a hub airport, in order to keep that exclusive routing.

As you say, I doubt it will be  the same world during our lifetime y,

We had a Holland river cruise this April. It was canceled. We have a New England Canada cruise September. We most likely cancel that. We have an Antarctica cruise January. We may cancel that. We are not going to get stuck on a sick cruise ship. By the way travel insurance which we have does not cover a pandemic. We will have to eat some of the deposits but better than being stuck and sick. As of now cruises are on hold for the next 100 days. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

In my opinion people will be back to flying a lot sooner than you might think. Business travel may be curtailed a little because now they are learning to use video meeting and conferencing. But I think people are going to get back on the planes. A few years ago I was thinking about making disposable masks for the airlines. A lot of people catch colds and viruses flying. The Asians have been wearing masks for years.  I think they will have masks for you in the seat pouch and hand sanitizer all over the airports and planes, soon.

My question for you is will you let the snowbirds come back to Lakeside?

Emirates Airline, Dubai based, has started testing passengers with a blood test that gives results in 15 minutes. The test is looking for antibodies that would mean the person has been exposed and (maybe) has immunity.

Perhaps a sign of things to come?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Emirates Airline, Dubai based, has started testing passengers with a blood test that gives results in 15 minutes. The test is looking for antibodies that would mean the person has been exposed and (maybe) has immunity.

Perhaps a sign of things to come?

For what its worth : ( I wouldn't get on the plane)

The World Health Organization issued a warning Friday about coronavirus testing, saying there’s no evidence serological tests can show whether a person has immunity or not at risk of becoming reinfected.

“These antibody tests will be able to measure that level of serology presence, that level of antibodies, but that does not mean that somebody with antibodies” are immune,  Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, told reporters during a press conference at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva.

So-called serological, or antibody, tests indicate whether a person has had Covid-19 in the past and was either asymptomatic or recovered.

58 minutes ago, cstone said:

refunds are almost non existent and they are offering "enticing deals" if you rebook rather than lose your money on the cancelled trips. 

The Coercive Covid Cancelled Cruise experience.....wow....could be the gift that truly keeps on giving  (or keeps on being re-gifted....)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cstone said:

I think cruise lines are seeing strong future bookings because refunds are almost non existent and they are offering "enticing deals" if you rebook rather than lose your money on the cancelled trips. 

So unlike the airlines it sounds like the cruise lines are not being forced to refund bookings that THEY are canceling, now it makes sense. Hope they don't get bailed out.

But maybe the cruise companies aren't canceling the trips knowing that way they won't have to refund. They probably have no single governing body to tell them what to do

I bought "cancel for any reason insurance," and Avalon Waterways refunded 60% of what I paId, telling me that I needed to get in touch with my insurance for the rest. I did receive an email today saying they are "looking in to it." It's been 3 weeks since I contacted them to start the ptocess.

I MIGHT get some of the 40% back. I did not want to choose another date, because I am unlikely to ever cruise again. I have never been on a ship that held more than 150 passengers, and I definitely don't want the BIG BOAT experience, so it is land and air travel for me, should the travel pathways open again.

This was a European river cruise, and since Europe isn't letting anyone in, they cancelled it and offered other bookings and "sale prices + extras." Hah !

My Mom is 101, my Aunt is 96 and I have a new grandson and a granddaughter due any day. I had to cancel my trip to see them. I will not take the chance of getting any of them sick by flying. I will wait a long time after the travel bans are lifted even though I want to see them.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chapalence said:

Until there is a well proven vaccine that I have had, as well as cheap treatment that has been tried on thousands without side effects my butt will remain parked.

We cannot afford , physically or financially, to be sick, and mentally I cannot bear the thought of spreading the virus.

Us as well. Nicely stated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve long thought airplanes were a cesspool of germs.  I would like to think the impact of this virus will improve the cleaning and sanitation of airplanes and airports.  For me, I won’t be traveling until they lift the 14 day mandatory quarantine for international travel.  Once that’s lifted, I’ll be the first flight.