Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus, SARS, COVID-19

27 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

So you're not interested in everything that will affect the low end of the totem pole?

Totem pole?    Hockey stick?     What are YOU doing to help, Mr. Bucket List dirty hockey stick spearing guy?    

Why don't you sell that moto in da foto, and your hockey duds, and donate the proceeds, and stop blabbing, you know nothing about the people you are talking to on this board.

• Like 1

Come on people, knock it off with the personal sniping.

Not to stay sidetracked here but I believe the military voting by mail requires the participant to send a post card in via free military mail to request a ballot.  That is not the same as just mailing out ballots to the voting rolls given how inaccurate those are. 

Also I suspect the military also is better at keeping track of its people than the multitudes of state and local vote agencies with their known variability in accuracy of voting rolls.

The military system sounds to me like what we do to get our absentee ballots.  We have to request them, they are not automatically sent just because we are on the voting rolls.  We request a ballot request form, that is sent to our U.S. location, we pick it up, fill it out and have the ballots sent to us.  We then mail them in.

So the military are dealing with 3,000,000 or so people they pretty much know where they all are at.  And the states are dealing with roughly 130,000,000 whom they probably aren't able to track nearly as well as the military can.

This comparison feels like apples and oranges to me, both due to the scale involved but also the difference between sending out unsolicited ballots to a huge and hard to maintain mailing list versus sending ballots in response to a request from the voter(s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Then how come the US military has been voting by mail for over 100 years? 

Are you advocating that the US military be disenfranchised? 

Not good, man. Not good. Bad patriot. 

I am saying there are exceptions to everything...I am sure that the military has devised a failsafe system to do this sin fraud. I am for those incapacitated or those in nursing homes to participate with the correct precautions in place. My concern in widespread mail-in voting is that it is an invitation to fraud, notwithstanding Constitution concerns.

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

New scenario for Lily:

You have been sick for several weeks. Your cupboards are bare and you are hungry and weak. The local utilities have failed and you are without phone, power or internet. No stores are open and it is dangerous to go out un-armed, if at all, as law enforcement has also failed. 

What now?

Have you heard people  surviving in the mountains or western Nebraska that no other people miles away?

This's only my family situation:

I'm always prepared to feed family of 6 for 2 - 4 months without crises situation. Even more prepared now. Stuff we may not like but enough protein, carbs and fiber to survice. There is creek water, generator, huge gardens, fruit trees, wild mushrooms, wild onions, wild dandelion plus deer around if we are desperate. No water department and utility company needed.

Mentally healthy. Never feel sorry for myself whatever got thrown my way.

Lucky to be in the woods.

In that case, you are one of the lucky ones, and I envy you. Hopefully, you also have youthful good health.  I have all those skills, but no longer have the ability. So we are stocked up, but stuck in place. If that weren't the case, I would rather be at sea, in a sailing vessel with a couple of year's provisions aboard.......

1 hour ago, Lily H said:

Have you heard people  surviving in the mountains or western Nebraska that no other people miles away?

This's only my family situation:

I'm always prepared to feed family of 6 for 2 - 4 months without crises situation. Even more prepared now. Stuff we may not like but enough protein, carbs and fiber to survice. There is creek water, generator, huge gardens, fruit trees, wild mushrooms, wild onions, wild dandelion plus deer around if we are desperate. No water department and utility company needed.

Mentally healthy. Never feel sorry for myself whatever got thrown my way.

Lucky to be in the woods.

You must be from the "sand hills, Cherry County"...….more cows than people …...big time.  :D

Dear Amigos,

I have read the comments since I stopped actively being a part of what started out

as a discussion of Coronavirus, COVID-19, SARS and relevant information.

I would like to express congratulations to MAINECOONS for remaining steadily

non-dogmatic and civil. There are several others as well, and I am sure that MAINECOONS

could list them faster than me, from memory. 

As for the way this topic changed, I guess it was inevitable since many people obviously

just wanted a place to vent and show the world on this web-board who they really were.

---------------------SO.................Way to go, MAINECOONS. and the rest who resisted the tidal wave

of extraneous jibberjabber and ad hominem insults. If I ever meet any of the constructive folks

after this virus passes, I would like that.

I know I said I was done with this topic after 2 days of comments, but the urge to say thanks

to some of you was too much for me, and likewise the desire to give others a "Time Out" was

also a motivating factor.

Keep it civil and intelligent, always.

Adios

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, Ferret said:

And that is why I only go out every two weeks for necessities like people food, dog food, meds and to pay bills. I am currently trying to use UnoDosTres to pay Telcel and Telmex... car tag, simapa and house taxes can wait. I've been in self quarantine since the middle of March. Boring but safe.

I don’t go out to pay bills here in Ajijic. I am on auto-pay. So very nice.