Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus, SARS, COVID-19

31 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Once again:

You could always point out where you think the errors are in his post and back up your assertions with citations from credible sources.  You do have more than the one you posted, yes?  I did some reading up on that one and it leaves me with a feeling that's a bit marginal.  

Let me clarify.  I find the site a bit marginal.  Please read the second and third sentences again.  

There is a pretty broad range of opinions in the academic community these days.  Far from universal agreement.

You are once again welcome to share your analysis of the errors you see in the OP and why you think those things are wrong.  

16 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

Good info, but are these the only locations where people from every pueblo in Jalisco are to be tested? If so, we have a Big problem. Also, remember the criteria for testing, Mild Symptoms are NEVER tested and a doctor must certify that he thinks there is a strong possibility you have the virus. 

Much like the rest of the world living away from population centers means you need to travel to population centers for testing. 

As of today there is only testing in GDL because that is where 90+% of the cases in Jalisco are.   If you have the symptoms call the number the state has provided. If you have no symptoms then act like you have the disease in your daily habits. If you are following stay at home directions after 14 days you are ok. 

those interested can make an appointment through line 33-3540-3001, which can answer up to 1,400 calls a day, 24 hours a day.

• Like 2

And that is why I only go out every two weeks for necessities like people food, dog food, meds and to pay bills. I am currently trying to use UnoDosTres to pay Telcel and Telmex... car tag, simapa and house taxes can wait. I've been in self quarantine since the middle of March. Boring but safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Much like the rest of the world living away from population centers means you need to travel to population centers for testing. 

As of today there is only testing in GDL because that is where 90+% of the cases in Jalisco are.   If you have the symptoms call the number the state has provided. If you have no symptoms then act like you have the disease in your daily habits. If you are following stay at home directions after 14 days you are ok. 

those interested can make an appointment through line 33-3540-3001, which can answer up to 1,400 calls a day, 24 hours a day.

Come on, Mostly ! Tell me again that these cities are not pop. centers. :D  All at, near, or more than 100,000: PV,, Lagos de Moreno, Tepatitlan, Cuidad Guzman, Hacienda Sante Fe, Ocotlan. Most cases in Guad ?:D How many do you think they have tested in those other pop. centers? :D

It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. :D  We are talking Mexico here, ok?  :D

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Let me clarify.  I find the site a bit marginal.  Please read the second and third sentences again.  

There is a pretty broad range of opinions in the academic community these days.  Far from universal agreement.

You are once again welcome to share your analysis of the errors you see in the OP and why you think those things are wrong.  

Saying it's marginal is being kind.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Come on, Mostly ! Tell me again that these cities are not pop. centers. :D  All at, near, or more than 100,000: PV,, Lagos de Moreno, Tepatitlan, Cuidad Guzman, Hacienda Sante Fe, Ocotlan. Most cases in Guad ?:D How many do you think they have tested in those other pop. centers? :D

It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. :D  We are talking Mexico here, ok?  :D

You are right there needs to be more testing. 

Luckily in Jalisco  there is at least a start.  Give it a little more time to make tests available in other locations.  I does make sense that GDL metro with a population of well over 5 million would be the first. 

Luckily for us it's a 45 minute drive to the testing center in GDL. and if we have the symptoms we can call the hotline for an appointment.   

In a perfect world, anyone with mild symptoms would be tested. Anyone who tests positive would provide a list of all recent contacts who would themselves be tested and so on. Anyone who tested positive would self-quarantine. People would be advised to watch for common early symptoms such as sudden loss of smell and taste.

Since testing never reached anything approaching this in the States, and testing there is now (for reasons unknown) being scaled back, one can hardly expect Mexico to do significantly better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

In a perfect world, anyone with mild symptoms would be tested.

In a perfect world, everyone would be tested, because according to more and more that is being found out, it's the asymptomatic, but infected people who are passing this around the most. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

In a perfect world, everyone would be tested, because according to more and more that is being found out, it's the asymptomatic, but infected people who are passing this around the most. 

That is why this virus is so bad. They say the incubation period is about 5 days (between the time you are infected and the time you have symptoms) But the incubation range is between 1 and 14 days and it has been as long as 27 days. (estimates) Ya some people could be walking around for weeks infecting people and not know it. That is why this virus is so contagious. And they call it very efficient. Compared to most other viruses. The symptoms are fever, tiredness and cough. 

7 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Regular flu victims infect less than one other person on average. Covington-19 averages infecting 3-4 other persons.  With isolation those numbers come down.

That is the best way right now, for sure. I wonder since it is such a stealth operator if it is going to be able to mutate more efficiently and make it harder to come up with an effective vaccine? Our own body is the best defense but the immune system really gets compromised with age. I definitely would like to see new immune boosting therapies. They are out there but you know how that goes..... Don't ask your Doctor.

12 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Zinc supplements.

The Zink is gone NOB. Sold out. Good ideas though. Something I read yesterday is interesting and what would help this is HGH which is prescription and controversial

"The thymus gland is located at the top of the breastbone and is where the majority of T cells are produced by the immune system. One can think of the thymus as being like an army camp where new soldiers are trained and given their weapons to fight invading forces; in this case, the T cells are those soldiers, and the battlefield is your body.

As we age, the thymus begins to shrink, and fewer numbers of T cells are created and trained to fight. This structural decay of the thymus is one of the main reasons why we become increasingly vulnerable to infectious diseases, such as influenza and pneumonia. The other reason is immune cells becoming senescent."

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

You are suggesting testing 5 billion with a B people.  How many years would you think that would take? 

• Thanks 2

Good news for some of you:

This will conclude my postings on this topic. I have raised an issue, and in two days  it has been discussed to

my satisfaction. I took the temperature of the community online here. A very diverse group, and generally speaking,

quite well informed. To those who are locked into their cynicism and name-calling habits, I wish the best for you.

You are slowly stressing yourself to the limit. It harms your body and mind. Take a breath, and as my grandmother used to say,

" Taste your words carefully before you spit them at people."  Wise words.

To those who are well informed, non-dogmatic and civil, I say good job, keep it up, cause you will live a happier life.

I am pleased that as of yesterday an on-site test for the deadly virus, developed by Abbott laboratories, has hit the

market and the US will have tested 5 million people by the end of this month, just under 2 weeks. We have now tested

a little over 3 million in the USA, and will begin to establish sentinel populations ( in public health we used sentinel flocks or animals),

to check the prevalence of the virus in the population at large. This is good news; good public health. Some states will begin to restart

some operations today and over the next week. Others will follow, monitored and controlled by data and state, local, and

federal officials.

One final question to all of you: Will Mexico test 1, 2 or even 5% of their population in the next month, using labs and field testing, to see what

measures need to be taken to protect all of us here ?  If the new test, lab tests, and subsequent tests, cannot be obtained and administered

quickly, both randomly and targeted, by the Mexican central government throughout the states here, we may see a CV19 wave hit like the one

that hit my state of WA, and the one that is still breaking in New Jersey, New York and elsewhere.

ADIOS for now, and hope to hear from some of you, perhaps on another posting    :)  !!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

You are suggesting testing 5 billion with a B people.  How many years would you think that would take? 

No, I said "in a perfect world". In a perfect world, I'd have a brand new shiny car to drive every year, unlimited quantities of disposable income, I and my family and friends would always be healthy, there would be world peace and no pollution. But we don't live perfect world. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crynoutloud said:

The Zink is gone NOB. Sold out. Good ideas though.

That's an all-encompassing statement that is not true.  Weeks ago.... when everyone was hoarding TP etc..... we found that all the Zinc Therapy tablets were gone.  Fast forward a couple of weeks and it was back. I bought 2 small bottles. Looked last week and it is still available. Krogers store.

6 hours ago, crynoutloud said:

The Zink is gone NOB. Sold out.

There aren't a whole lot of foods that are high in zinc, but some that are, are pumpkin seeds, which are readily available here, meat, legumes, nuts, many vegetables, and oysters, crab and lobster. If you can't get zinc tablets, eat a couple handfuls of pumpkin seeds every day, and try to make sure you eat a lot of some of those other foods, too.

Vitamins and minerals consumed in food are actually more readily absorbed by the body than supplements in pill form, anyway. Not to say it's a bad idea to do both, if available.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crynoutloud said:

The symptoms are fever, tiredness and cough. 

Not everyone has the same symptoms. A friend of mine had it, but never had a fever. There are more symptoms besides the ones you mention, too. A couple of nurses posted somewhere a few weeks back a symptom they saw in every one of their COVID patients, that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere- red eyes. Not the whites of the eyes, but the eyes encircled with red, as if you had applied red eye shadow to the skin all around your eyes.

Most diseases can vary as to the symptoms, depending on the patient. I had dengue a few years ago, but I never had a fever. Had chills, every bone in my body felt like it was broken, even my skin hurt to touch, and I had the classic dull headache right behind the eyes. But never had a fever and never lost my appetitie, as many dengue sufferers have reported.