Chapala.com Webboard

New car warranties in Mexico

Mainecoons

2 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

So does that mean no one that buys a new car in Mexico needs to take it to the dealer for any service? Or did you just get lucky?

We had two Chevrolets before that and another Lincoln SUV and all had warranty work and none were serviced at the dealer. I have new Cadillac XT5 and again not serviced at dealer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sonia said:

We had two Chevrolets before that and another Lincoln SUV and all had warranty work and none were serviced at the dealer. I have new Cadillac XT5 and again not serviced at dealer.

Again what does the  Manufacturers warranty say is required to keep the warranty in effect?  That is what determines warranty coverage, not one individual's experience. 

Dealers want to do warranty work. The manufacturer pays them very well. In the USA it is the same rate as a retail customer pays, don't know about Mexico. 

On 4/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, Sonia said:

You're living large there Sonia.  :D 

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

You're living large there Sonia.  :D 

Lincolns two years old, which we had, depreciate about 50% and are about the price of a new Honda CR-V. The Cadillac is a demo with huge discount :-) Neither cars are popular here.

7 hours ago, Sonia said:

Lincolns two years old, which we had, depreciate about 50% and are about the price of a new Honda CR-V. The Cadillac is a demo with huge discount :-) Neither cars are popular here.

I'd be surprised if either can take the pounding of these lousy roads.  I had a Caddie up north and loved it but I don't think I'd risk one here.

You get much better used car prices in Mexico (city) than we do over here in GDL.  Seems the "stealers" totally dominated things and fix the prices.

When buying used just remember that it is very easy to turn back the odometer on any late model car. The equipment to do this can be purchased on Amazon.

I watched a video about this a couple of years ago.... eye opening!  Some of the cheats got caught by simply leaving the service record in the car ( dumb )and of course the odometer didn't match the records.

2 hours ago, Mitch said:

When buying used just remember that it is very easy to turn back the odometer on any late model car. The equipment to do this can be purchased on Amazon.

I watched a video about this a couple of years ago.... eye opening!  Some of the cheats got caught by simply leaving the service record in the car ( dumb )and of course the odometer didn't match the records.

Are you sure this is easy on newer cars ?  I bought an expensive data link system which allows me to change certain things on my 2016 VW, but it won't even allow changing of the odometer. Hard to believe it would be easy.  Have any more info on this  ?

58 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Where is Autocheck in Riberas ?

In Riberas, south side of the street right next door to the Telecable (IZZI) office. Small narrow driveway down. Hidalgo #90A  (331) 464-2324    Felipe Morales

2 minutes ago, RickS said:

In Riberas, south side of the street right next door to the Telecable (IZZI) office. Small narrow driveway down. Hidalgo #90A  (331) 464-2324    Felipe Morales

Thanks. BTW I watched multiple youtube videos on the rear differential oil change process and they all just drain and refill. Hopefully Autocheck will do it correctly

34 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Thanks. BTW I watched multiple youtube videos on the rear differential oil change process and they all just drain and refill. Hopefully Autocheck will do it correctly

If you aren't having a 'grinding' noise with your CR-V you will probably be OK with just a drain-n-fill. A drain-n-fill is actually 'child's play'... no real expertise required. 

BUT, regardless of what you may find on YouTube about refills, this was a serious problem/solution for some CR-Vs. The 'procedure' was straight out of a Honda TSB which warned that if one was having the grinding noise when turning right and/or left....audible at low speeds..., a simple refill would NOT solve the problem. The double-refill solved mine. 

P.S.  You can't go wrong using Felipe!

EA93105  Yes, it's simple with the newer cars with digital odometers. I just googled it and watched another video ( sorry don't know how to link video to watch)

It was explained that with all newer cars with digital odometers one only has to search on google and buy a device that plugs into the car's computer port. These items go for about $300.00 and leave no trace.

36 minutes ago, RickS said:

If you aren't having a 'grinding' noise with your CR-V you will probably be OK with just a drain-n-fill. A drain-n-fill is actually 'child's play'... no real expertise required. 

BUT, regardless of what you may find on YouTube about refills, this was a serious problem/solution for some CR-Vs. The 'procedure' was straight out of a Honda TSB which warned that if one was having the grinding noise when turning right and/or left....audible at low speeds..., a simple refill would NOT solve the problem. The double-refill solved mine. 

P.S.  You can't go wrong using Felipe!

Yep that was exactly the case with my last CRV.  As soon as the problem surfaced I had it done and it fixed it immediately.

I have had nothing but great results for car service on my current, and probably last, CRV using Autochek next to Izzy Cable (Telecable) in Riberas.  I say last because their headlong pursuit of the last mpg has resulted in a car with an inferior engine and transmission.  One drive in a droning and sluggish CVT with a puny 1.6 liter engine on what is a fairly big car was enough to lose me.  Damn thing can't get out of its own way.

Too bad, we've been driving CRVs for 14 years.  Frankly I thought the earlier 2006 were the best of them.  Unbreakable and never required anything.  My 2012 has required a brake job and steering rebuild thus far.  Both were done quickly and flawlessly by Autochek.  They speak English too.