Chapala.com Webboard

BREAKING NEWS – Tourist Card extensions

Intercasa

Immigration has agreed to allow people whose tourist cards have expired during the period from January 20, 2020 to April 30, 2020

Preauthorization in Chapala and then interview in Guadalajara, we take you, then issuance of another 6 month tourist visa. 

Good news is that from start to finish 2-4 days to have your new document.

You need to let your tourist card lapse and your car will be illegal. 

We also have another option…

For those over 60 years old or with health issues we can extend your tourist card for up to 1 year and keep your car legal.  Also you can then apply for a temporary visa within Mexico without the need to leave when the extension is due to expire. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FMM extension should not be a problem, we are trying to use another part of the law to get longer extensions and as this is new, are trying to make each case as strong as possible, over 60 helps more and any health issues can help and we will be talking with public clinic doctors as well for guidance, in the end we want to help people and limit their need to travel during these tough times.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 9:51 AM, Intercasa said:

Immigration has agreed to allow people whose tourist cards have expired during the period from January 20, 2020 to April 30, 2020

Preauthorization in Chapala and then interview in Guadalajara, we take you, then issuance of another 6 month tourist visa. 

Good news is that from start to finish 2-4 days to have your new document.

You need to let your tourist card lapse and your car will be illegal. 

We also have another option…

For those over 60 years old or with health issues we can extend your tourist card for up to 1 year and keep your car legal.  Also you can then apply for a temporary visa within Mexico without the need to leave when the extension is due to expire. 

Extention on TIP as well? We are a senior couple with some health issues and Visa and TIP expire 24th of April... Thank you

I took a friend from San Diego, who bought a new apartment here in San Luis Potosi, to our INM office today. He is 70. His 180 day tourist FMM expires on May 2nd. or 3rd. They told him only if it expires on April 30th. or before can he apply there.

I expect them to extend the offer as new restrictions will keep people home another month as well as there are some other creative ideas we will use to help people

• Thanks 1

Not in the chapala area but in the yucatan area.  But we only have till the end of the month to renew our tourist cards if it expires this month or already did?  Do you know if they will extend the time to do this?  I just am reading this now.  So after end of April, we cannot go to the closing imm office to get a new tourst card if our tourist card expired or expire by this month?  That is very short notice they are giving though I see this was posted just two weeks ago.

Once FMM expires, apply for another at INM and once issued apply for a TIP extension at Aduana. The TIP process is the same for a tourist as it is for when one renews a temporary resident visa.

I have doubts about renewing TIPs as the tourist card expires therefore breaking continuity, I will be contacting Aduana in Mexico city to address this issue nationwide.

15 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

I have doubts about renewing TIPs as the tourist card expires therefore breaking continuity, I will be contacting Aduana in Mexico city to address this issue nationwide.

I did yesterday and confirmed. Her name is Ana Mora as per my post on this forum 18 hours ago. 

2 hours ago, Intercasa said:

Any news about INM giving FMMs to people who's 180 day FMM tourist card expires in May?

10 hours ago, Sonia said:

Once FMM expires, apply for another at INM and once issued apply for a TIP extension at Aduana. The TIP process is the same for a tourist as it is for when one renews a temporary resident visa.

Hi.  Im not in the chapala area but in the yucatan area.  I came into Mexico by air from the US.

So the process is still go to the inm office closest to me then to get a new FMM?  Do you know if they will extend the date for those whose fmm expired already?  I read in original post

Is there a reason they are giving people such short notice though?

Would you think they would extend this to May?  I just read about this recently.

Nothing official yet but we expect them to extend the period for tourists to get another 180 days.  It hasnt been easy, we have some other options and are working to get something in writing from aduana as far as cars go as transitos or police will not call aduana to check at a roadside stop.  

I am continuing to submit requests for new FMM's once a person's FMM has expired. In some places free and in some places fees. 

Also, Aduana at the Queretaro airport is providing new 180 day TIP's for those with a new FMM.  There is no fee. All of this is done without driving to the border.