Chapala.com Webboard

Bring a hat/sunblocker to Walmart

1 hour ago, bmh said:

beg to dffer, the vegges were rotten and not thrown out untl the big stores came in 

Oh, I wasn't contradicting you on that- I was saying the nasty butcher shop in my town cleaned up their act not when the big box stores came in, but when other butcher shops opened in my town. It was local competition, in that case, with no gagging rotten meat smell and clean interiors that drove the change in the original shop. The big box stores came in long before that, and it didn't lead to any changes in the original dirty one.

Fickle pie ..although ...I  seldom shop at Walmart ...I find you and your post sad and pathetic not to mention :...obnoxious and naive..  When  I moved here over 10 years ago.so many items now sold at reasonable prices  in Walmart  were just not available  or affordable for the local  Mexican population .  Now although I don’t necessarily agree with all of the companies policies or business models.    etc ..the competitive pricing that they have brought lakeside has enabled so many locals  to buy appliances , essentials and so much more   at prices they obviously can afford .

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

the competitive pricing that they have brought lakeside has enabled so many locals  to buy appliances , essentials and so much more   at prices they obviously can afford .

Well, I don't live Lakeside, but in Sayulita. And I can tell you that when I have gone appliance shopping, that I found a couple mom and pop appliance stores that had better prices on the exact same stove and fridge I bought, than the prices at any of the big box stores, or places like Tio Sam's. Not only that, they did free delivery. And they were lovely to deal with, and because I've bought several things from them over the years, they give me some good deals. And when I replaced my fridge about a year ago, partly because the seal was getting bad and couldn't be replaced, and also because it wasn't big enough, although it still functioned just fine, one of the young delivery guys from that mom and pop store asked what I was going to do with the old fridge, which I was wondering myself- I figured I'd put an ad up for it, or give it away to anyone who was willing to haul it away. I told him I would sell it for 800 pesos and he bought it off me then and there, saying he and his wife needed a better fridge than what they had, and took it away. You don't get any of that when you buy a fridge at Walmart.

Also, people often just have the idea that things are going to be a better deal at the big box stores, and don't bother to do comparison shopping. There's a little shop in Bucerias that has every kind of nail and screw and that kind of hardware that you could imagine. Their prices are way less than what they sell the same stuff for at Home Depot.

Absolutely, the average Mexican who I see in droves at Walmart have access to products that were never available and at prices they can afford. 

Would anyone care to make a guess at how much the weekly sales at the Walmart in SAT is Mexican and how much is the foreigners.  I would guess that over 50% is Mexican and this is a heavily populated area by foreigners.  Now go to all the Walmart stores in Guad. and all around Mexico where there aren´t a lot of foreigners and see if they exist because of sad pathetic gringos.

edit....I was responding to Ian Greenwood´s post.

• Like 1

Mudgirl......as I have spent plenty of time in sayulita and the surrounding beach communities and still do ......please tell me where within  fifty miles ..you  can buy  a selection of...sheets , towels  , cookware , crockery ,small appliances.....I could go on the list is so long....On a recent visit  (  due to a lack of  at  my rental. ). I couldn’t find a decent can opener....thankfully I never travel without a wine key , a sauté pan and a couple of my knives. .

I agree on the subject of Walmart providing services to local Mexicans. They can buy appliances using monthly payments. Before (and possibly still ongoing) other stores like Elektra charged ASTRONOMICAL interest rates for purchases over time. So did other stores. In San Miguel, our housekeeper's son bought a bed from a local "mom and pop" type store when he got married. When I ran the numbers, he would have ended up paying five times as much for the bed. I went in with his wife, paid for the bed and cancelled the contract and he paid me back without interest. This is ongoing in very poor communities where these guys go door to door with enticements because "It's only going to cost you 50 pesos a week to buy THIS". Disgusting thievery.

• Thanks 1

Not really . No 1...walk into an open space  .i e  courtyard / wine cave ...mostly empty..  No .2 lift bottom  of mask  maybe an inch or so  sip or gulp ..lower mask . No 3 go get a refill   No 4 ..wonder why your cart is mostly full at checkout...No 5 bring your own straw  from now on .

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:58 AM, TelsZ4 said:

Just like timjwilson she has no concept of living here..  Walmart has done do much for the economy of this town.. And I know this because I was here before opened...

I never said that 800 per week was great did I? However, perhaps you can explain what  " has done do much for the economy of this town" means.