Chapala.com Webboard

A Modern Day Telmex miracle in Chapala Hcdas?

Over the weekend, I received several text messages from Telmex that basically acknowledged we had a problem in our area and that it was being addressed, no need to report it. This morning, I did a speed test for grins and giggles and nearly wet myself and then did the test several more times. We're getting (today)  between 33+ to 40+ mbps downloads and nearly the same for uploads. Before all of the outages, we were getting 15 or so and felt lucky. Now, I nearly want to genuflect at the shrine of technology. Will it last? Is it genuine or just temporary to shut us up? Stay tuned, boys and girls, for the next exciting chapter!

Lol...ok, on a serious note, I hope this is permanent (duh) and am very pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

We had sporadic service last week just like Chapala Haciendas.  We are happy for your "improvement".  Nothing has changed in Brisas de Chapala, just across the street from you.  Perhaps we will see improvement soon.  But, I won't hold my breath!

My speed is 19.7 down by 5.02 up  (MB/sec) as usual in upper West Ajijic. Telmex tells me that they don't have the backbone to give me higher speeds but says that when they can, I will have no problem getting the higher speeds

That is really fast for lakeside.JRPJR And I am really happy with my 20 down by 5 up. I remember the old days in 1997 when internet first arrived lakeside. We had Lagunanet dialup which limited their speed to 28.8 KB/sec down by slightly faster up. Rod Collins, the owner had to pay long  distance to Guadalajara for his dial up backbone.  Each telephone/internet backbone line was at 64 KB/sec up and down. And he could have up to 20 customers per backbone line. Obviously only a small % of the customers were all on line at the same time. (You have to remember that in those days, one paid long distance for regular phone calls from Ajijic to Joco and of course from lakeside to Guadalajara. How things have changed)

In those days, we, the customers thought that this  dialup internet speed was pretty fast. Little did we know what was coming. :) 

5 hours ago, johanson said:

My speed is 19.7 down by 5.02 up  (MB/sec) as usual in upper West Ajijic. Telmex tells me that they don't have the backbone to give me higher speeds but says that when they can, I will have no problem getting the higher speeds

We got the same as you for about a week after they dropped off a new modem and after that it went back to the same 5-6 down but up is now around 4, vastly faster than before.

6 hours ago, Tingting said:

Over the weekend, I received several text messages from Telmex that basically acknowledged we had a problem in our area and that it was being addressed, no need to report it. This morning, I did a speed test for grins and giggles and nearly wet myself and then did the test several more times. We're getting (today)  between 33+ to 40+ mbps downloads and nearly the same for uploads. Before all of the outages, we were getting 15 or so and felt lucky. Now, I nearly want to genuflect at the shrine of technology. Will it last? Is it genuine or just temporary to shut us up? Stay tuned, boys and girls, for the next exciting chapter!

Lol...ok, on a serious note, I hope this is permanent (duh) and am very pleasantly surprised.

We also reported to Telmex from CH and although the intermittent connectivity issue has seemingly been resolved, we've dropped from a steady 14-15 to half that. 

You reported a day before us, I believe, so maybe they're "working on it".

We now have Telmex fiber (after over 18 months with nothing from Ilox).

We have had only one outage since installion in February. Telmex sent us text messages when the problem occurred and told us there was no need to file a report. Several hours later, we got another text that all was ok.

Unfortunately we had to pay for installation, which Carlos Sim can afford  much better than us normals.

But once everyone in our fracc knew Telmex was coming, everyone signed up, something they wouldn't do with Ilox.

Personally I am happy I didn't waste any more time with Ilox and am very happy with Telmex fiber so far.

I hope they keep up the effort to advise customers of problems and what to do about them.

We're in West Ajijic.

I didn't mention speeds so as not to aggravate too many people. But I pay for 150 Mbs down. Right now, depending on the speed tester, I get between 180 and 210 down and 70 to 100 up. I'm sure this won't last as they do more installs, but it sure is great after years of 8Mbs or less with frequent, sometimes daily, interruptions of service on DSL.

7 hours ago, johanson said:

That is really fast for lakeside.JRPJR And I am really happy with my 20 down by 5 up. I remember the old days in 1997 when internet first arrived lakeside. We had Lagunanet dialup which limited their speed to 28.8 KB/sec down by slightly faster up. Rod Collins, the owner had to pay long  distance to Guadalajara for his dial up backbone.  Each telephone/internet backbone line was at 64 KB/sec up and down. And he could have up to 20 customers per backbone line. Obviously only a small % of the customers were all on line at the same time. (You have to remember that in those days, one paid long distance for regular phone calls from Ajijic to Joco and of course from lakeside to Guadalajara. How things have changed)

In those days, we, the customers thought that this  dialup internet speed was pretty fast. Little did we know what was coming. :) 

I had that has well when we first bought our place here and kept it he until he finally gave up the ghost. I started using a Telcel cellular modem about 2 years ago and was getting and still am about 40 down and 10 up since I have line to sight to a cell tower. I have kept it for a backup but the fiber optic service has been so reliable for both phone and verse I’m thinking of getting rid of it.

We are in chapella haciendas number 2. number 2.

It has now been one week send the internet and phone went out. The phone has been back for a few days but the internet is still down. I was told today when I went into telemax in ajijic that they are working on the problem and internet should be restored in the next two days.

Did someone say that they are giving new modems in Chapala haciendas? Maybe that comment related to another area.

10 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

We are in chapella haciendas number 2. number 2.

It has now been one week send the internet and phone went out. The phone has been back for a few days but the internet is still down. I was told today when I went into telemax in ajijic that they are working on the problem and internet should be restored in the next two days.

Did someone say that they are giving new modems in Chapala haciendas? Maybe that comment related to another area.

We  all received new modems three years ago after the new wiring for the hotel across the way included the Haciendas.

I doubt they're going to give us all new ones this soon after the last distribution.

Heck, we didn't get a new modem...hmmmm....but we did receive the bennies of the better speed because of the hotel. At this point, I'm about to go sacrifice a keyboard to the tech gods and see if that will help. We have internet, but the buffering is still bad (and yesterday now feels like a dream. It probably gave someone in Telmex a good belly laugh to know my hopes had been lifted and then crushed.).

Some of the Telmex techs are better than others. I wish I could remember the name of the one a local friend called. It is not too clear, but your landline must be plugged into the modem. He sorted everything out quickly, we have the modem and a wifi router. He had a new modem which is much larger than the older, but latest modem. He said this had features which were not needed fof home use. He performed a series ot online diagnostics with Telmex.

So in Chapala haciendas number two, Kitty recorded phone call. If your internet is working now please press one, if not call customer service. Will call customer service twice hang on Soutel Mex in ajijic once.

Call customer service and they said soon come. That is the Caribbean equivalent of we will take care of this quickly.

But at least I know that telmex will give us a discount on the months feel for the squeak of Internet we lost.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Tingting said:

Heck, we didn't get a new modem...hmmmm....but we did receive the bennies of the better speed because of the hotel. At this point, I'm about to go sacrifice a keyboard to the tech gods and see if that will help. We have internet, but the buffering is still bad (and yesterday now feels like a dream. It probably gave someone in Telmex a good belly laugh to know my hopes had been lifted and then crushed.).

They had a "giveaway" event in the pavilion at the office. I don't recall how the information about the event was disseminated, but most likely by email. All you had to do was give them your address and they gave you a brand new Infinitum modem.

At the time, our house was still being rehabbed and we certainly didn't know why this was such a big deal. I do now.