Chapala.com Webboard
MtnMama

text message to the US

I have the 'regular' plan on my Telcel smartphone. Anyone know if I can send a text message to a friend in the States and what numbers I use? I found a site on the Internet that said add +1 but that didn't work.

35 minutes ago, Lily H said:

If both of you download WhatsApp 

Yes, both of you should download What’s App and you can text or use voice messaging. Check to see if the person in the US is on What’s App

• Like 1

WhatsApp has a very bad reputation for allowing third party hacks of private information. No thank you. We'll stick to phone and email.

EVERY comms app has had attacks. WA is encrypted end to end, and is just as good or bad as FB Messenger, FaceTime, Skype, all of them.

• Sad 1

I text to the states a lot and use +1. I also use WhatsApp. Works well. Or you can ask for help where you pay your bill.

Another vote for Whatsapp.  It is commonly used here in Mexico and in EU where basic cell plans have limited text and data usage.  Not yet as popular in US since many US plans provide a lot of free data/text.    

I also love WhatsApp. I use it locally for texting so I have the "when" and the "how much" in writing from contractors. My stepson in Toronto uses it to call me after telling me that he used it to call my granddaughter when she was travelling in Asia last spring. Call quality is very good.

In Mexico Whatsapp is the most popular way to communicate for Mexicans. I whatsapp my friends in the US and my family in France, Taiwan, Africa and so on and I fin it the best way to communcate and the easest to share photos as well, If I get hacked be it, but I have yet to have problems with that app.

• Like 1

I just successfully texted someone in Canada, who received it and replied, using "+1" and their 10 digit number (you know, 613-xx-xxxx).

Yes, of course, or I wouldn't have posted that note. Perhaps I should have said "successfully".

LOL. I can successfully send things that never get received. That's why I asked. Interesting because I use 001 + xxx + xxx + xxxx to send messages, WhatsApp and phone calls on my Mexican cell phone and I get replies. It works too. Go figure.