Chapala.com Webboard

Shipping a Product from the US to Mexico?

FrankyOP

Because of the coronavirus, I decided to stay in Mexico in the time being as opposed to going back to the US.  But I also ran out of certain products that I would easily get in the US via amazon.com.  I know there is amazon mexico and mercadolibre, but the issue is some item that I want to get... its not available on amazon mexico.  A while back i was able to purchase it through amazon mexico and the seller told me the item was actually coming from the US... but they would handle all the import taxes and everything in order for the product to reach me.  I received the product probably a bit under two weeks I believe.  I was surprised because I thought the product would get stopped at customs and won't go through but that seller told me don't worry because they do this shipping all the time.  This was a while back though so my memory might be off.

I also bought the same product from mercado libre as well I believe but not sure.  So basically once or two occasions I ordered it and it got to me via DHL.  This is just a face cream that cost no more than ten dollars on amazon.com but they sell it for at least three times the amount minimum on amazon mexico/mercadolibre but I just pay it.  You don't need prescription for it.  Its a basic face cream.

My issue now is they don't have this product on amazon mexico.  And on mercado libre, there was a seller that was selling it about a week ago... but now he took down the listing.  So I cannot even get this product.  What I want to know is... how are these sellers based in the US able to send these products here?  I tried adding these items to amazon.com and then put my Mexico address on it but I get an error message that says can't ship due to import rules etc.  I believe you can't send vitamins for example from US to Mexico right and liquids?  But how was that seller able to send it to me?  He told me I recall it was shipped from Texas, then gets to Mexico and he had the import papers or some words to that effect which allowed it to work.  What I want to know is... is it possible for me to have a friend in the US purchase this product for me in the US via amazon.com... its a ten dollar small face cream only... i prefer to get two or even three of them... then have him send it to me here in Mexico.  Now is that possible or not?  Does he have to fill out some documents or something and how much tax/shipping would it cost to ship it to me.  I assume anyone could send a product like that right or you need to be some special seller or something like that to allow it?  Other thing im curious is this.  If the cream only cost ten dollars via amazon.com... say i bought it off of the guy for thirty five dollars for example, how much money did the seller had to pay for import/taxes etc to get it to me? 

And if it works, how much would it cost for me to receive it?  I would obviously order the items from my amazon.com account and send it to my friend's house address.  Then ask him to drop the package off at DHL and send it to say the DHL office here.  But how much would that cost total if he could do it?  Also is it basically same price if he ships one or two or three of them?  The cream is basically one third the size of a full size toothpaste.  

Anyone have experience with this?  I know the easiest way is if someone from the US is coming to Mexico and bring it for me but obviously with the virus situation now, very few people are traveling.  Thanks.  

Sending a package via DHL, FedEx, etc. Will cost you well more than the savings you receive by buying here.

How does one import items? Depends on many factors. If it is classified as "medical" a special license is needed.

Some Mercadolibre  vendors as well as small shops here have buying trips to the US and bring products pack without paying the 16% IVA or customs inspections.

Example; The Victorias Secret store in Laredo is one of their highest volume for perfumes and creams.  

Well the item is basically a ten dollar cream that you can buy easily at amazon.com or walgreens back in the US easily.  It doesn't require a prescription etc.  Thus anyone can buy it.

So how did the seller in the Us then sold it to me a while back then?  I recalled i paid around thirty five dollars or so to have it shipped here and he told me he will handle all the import/customs fees issues and then i received it.  But now, I cannot get it anymore as that item is not on amazon mexico nor mercado libre anymore.  My issue is i cannot buy this product on amazon mexico or mercado libre now... so i want to know is there a way to have it sent from the US here.  Would a face cream that is nothing more than something you get at walgreens or amazon.com classify as medical?  Because its not some special cream etc.

How do those mercado libre vendors do those buying trips to the US and bring it back?  Do they buy a ton from the US and then drive it back in here etc?  Yea... Laredo is name of the place I recalled the seller listed the item as... but said it came from Texas.  I recalled that was the name of the location.  

SuperLake is closing or already is closed (I don't Know) because they can not get supplies shipped down from north of the border. So if they can not figure out how to get products from up north, maybe you may have to temporarily use an alternative product, unless you know someone who is coming down to our area from up north.

I sure hope things come back to normal soon

1 hour ago, FrankyOP said:

Well the item is basically a ten dollar cream that you can buy easily at amazon.com or walgreens back in the US easily.  It doesn't require a prescription etc.  Thus anyone can buy it.

So how did the seller in the Us then sold it to me a while back then?  I recalled i paid around thirty five dollars or so to have it shipped here and he told me he will handle all the import/customs fees issues and then i received it.  But now, I cannot get it anymore as that item is not on amazon mexico nor mercado libre anymore.  My issue is i cannot buy this product on amazon mexico or mercado libre now... so i want to know is there a way to have it sent from the US here.  Would a face cream that is nothing more than something you get at walgreens or amazon.com classify as medical?  Because its not some special cream etc.

How do those mercado libre vendors do those buying trips to the US and bring it back?  Do they buy a ton from the US and then drive it back in here etc?  Yea... Laredo is name of the place I recalled the seller listed the item as... but said it came from Texas.  I recalled that was the name of the location.  

If tou can not live without it then send to a friend. Have them send USPS priority to you. Declare under 50 dollars as craft supplies. Keep your fingers crossed Aduana doesn't open.

Or with the dozens of face creams available here find a new one. 

My sister in law had to have a certain dish soap from the US she had used for years. Asked me to bring for her because nothing here was the same or worked as well. I refilled a bottle with a Mexican brand that was almost the same. She never knew. I told her later. She didn't believe me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, johanson said:

SuperLake is closing or already is closed (I don't Know) because they can not get supplies shipped down from north of the border. So if they can not figure out how to get products from up north, maybe you may have to temporarily use an alternative product, unless you know someone who is coming down to our area from up north.

I sure hope things come back to normal soon

If and when his supplies start I am sure we will see a huge price hike in those products to reflect the current ex rate....maybe this is the  time to wean off those items you have been addicted to

12 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

If tou can not live without it then send to a friend. Have them send USPS priority to you. Declare under 50 dollars as craft supplies. Keep your fingers crossed Aduana doesn't open.

Or with the dozens of face creams available here find a new one. 

My sister in law had to have a certain dish soap from the US she had used for years. Asked me to bring for her because nothing here was the same or worked as well. I refilled a bottle with a Mexican brand that was almost the same. She never knew. I told her later. She didn't believe me.

Hey.  If that do that with usps, how much would it cost to send it to me?  I like to add im in the quintana roo/cancun area and not the lakeside section as you guys.  Don't they always open all packages when going through customs?  I heard that a while back.

Its the only cream that works.

9 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Ask DHL Mexico about this. Some products require import permits ahead of time. They are easy to obtain but take about two weeks to process. If DHL has anything more than a couple of days, they return to sender. They will not wait for an import permit.

Where do i ask them this?  I can't speak spanish.  Do i speak to a dhl rep on the phone on this but can i speak english?  How much does import permit cost?  Its frustrating because this is a simple otc cream that can be bought at amazon.com or say your local walgreens etc.

The thing is that seller who sold this a while back on amazon mexico/mercado libre im positive his location was laredo even though he said the item was based in Texas.  This is going by my memory of when i asked him where is the package coming from.  But of course that seller sells a lot so he knows the ins and outs.  But i wanted to know could a regular person send a cream like that similar to how he does it.  I mean he charged like three and a half times the amount when i bought it i believe a while back.  Of course now, its not available.

6 hours ago, FrankyOP said:

Hey.  If that do that with usps, how much would it cost to send it to me?  I like to add im in the quintana roo/cancun area and not the lakeside section as you guys.  Don't they always open all packages when going through customs?  I heard that a while back.

Its the only cream that works.

Check the USPS website. Aduana opens about 5% or packages that the scan shows something odd.

6 hours ago, FrankyOP said:

Where do i ask them this?  I can't speak spanish.  Do i speak to a dhl rep on the phone on this but can i speak english?  How much does import permit cost?  Its frustrating because this is a simple otc cream that can be bought at amazon.com or say your local walgreens etc.

The thing is that seller who sold this a while back on amazon mexico/mercado libre im positive his location was laredo even though he said the item was based in Texas.  This is going by my memory of when i asked him where is the package coming from.  But of course that seller sells a lot so he knows the ins and outs.  But i wanted to know could a regular person send a cream like that similar to how he does it.  I mean he charged like three and a half times the amount when i bought it i believe a while back.  Of course now, its not available.

DHL will be much more expensive than USPS Priorty mail. 

What may be over the counter in the US can still be considered a medical product by Mexico.  Getting an import permit will probably be impossible for you.

What is "over the counter" in Mexico many times requires a prescription in  the US.   Two different sets of laws.

Ferret has a very good suggestion. Read the label then do some research online. You may find there is the same item in Mexico with a different name.    

Franky, you have had all the help you are going to get. You are asking questions that no one can properly answer. This is your modus operandi. Every post you have ever made is 8 miles long, asks an interminable amount of questions, then rephrases those questions when you don't get the answers you want... instead of simply accepting the fact that you are not going to get them.

You may be a fine person face to face, but here you have developed a nuisance style. I am posting a link to all your other stuff so members here can be reminded.

You started your life here with almost exactly the same kind of post about Amazon: 

https://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/profile/55549-frankyop/content/

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, FrankyOP said:

Resorcinol 2%

Sulfur 8%.

So, basically, old fashioned Clearasil. Go in to a farmacia with the written ingredients and they will have it.

And if you really want something to work, I would suggest you switch to a Benzoil Peroxide product (also manufactured by Clearasil)...

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-617969165-clearasil-obstinada-control-del-acne-tratamiento-manchas-5en-_JM?quantity=1#position=55&type=item&tracking_id=28c1e6e5-c340-47c6-94e0-29cfaf8a36db

I'm done.