Chapala.com Webboard

alcohol and booze

It's my opinion based on the detrimental physical damage that it can do to a human who drinks daily ... including destroying quality restorative sleep. And people pay to do this to themselves. There is nothing more amusing, as a non drinker, than watching other people drink too much. There are very few people who can stop at the "one glass of red wine for the health benefits of resveratrol."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jeanneboo said:

They have stopped selling alcohol to try to reduce domestic violence with people kept in close quarters at home.

In Ontario, Canada (don't know about other provinces), they have kept the liquor stores open so that there isn't an increase in domestic violence or violence in general.   Different country, different viewpoint!  

52 minutes ago, Ferret said:

It's my opinion based on the detrimental physical damage that it can do to a human who drinks daily ... including destroying quality restorative sleep. And people pay to do this to themselves. There is nothing more amusing, as a non drinker, than watching other people drink too much. There are very few people who can stop at the "one glass of red wine for the health benefits of resveratrol."

Sounds like you lack self discipline.

• Like 3

There is drinking and drinking, in France we drink wine daily and we live longer than many other people,. I do not drink daily n Mexico but I did most of my life and  never had any health problems related to drinking..Of course I drank with meals only and never without food .. My mother is 98 and she drinks a glass of red wine daily on doctors ´orders and that does not cause her  any problem.  Drinking in excess  is the problem not just drinking .

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

There is nothing more amusing, as a non drinker, than watching other people drink too much.

Agreed. I'm not a non-drinker, I enjoy a glass of wine, or a cold beer on a hot day, but I can go weeks without it even occurring to me to pour myself something, even if I have some around. I've even gotten pretty drunk on occasion. It is sometimes amusing but more oftentimes incredibly boring, to sit around with a bunch of drinkers who've had a few too many, thinking they're engaged in oh so clever conversation, while they repeat themselves endlessly and laugh uproariously at their own dumb jokes.

10 hours ago, monadog said:

As of today Walmart is not going to sell any alcohol!!!!    Until May 31.

Anyone know how to make a still?

Believe me, you will do just fine without. Try water. Alcohol in this hot weather only adds to dehydration and possibly other problems. :)

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

In my youth, I never went over my limit of 2 fifths of Irish whisky per day.  No problem with self discipline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In my humble opinion this ban is another government stupid order. This virus has given governments a way to flex power over the people. I love my bottle of red wine in the evenings on my porch watching my porch tele. What a release and stress relief. Plus a great night of sleep. 

Plus time with my dog Happy. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Or WCTU???      :D

10 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Sounds like you lack self discipline.

Too funny guys! Nope. My hubby enjoyed his gin (or Canadian Club in Canada) and I used to have one Margarita for my birthday and one for New Years. Each to his/her own. Enjoy... but it's still a waste of money ;)

19 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

As far as I am aware the Oxxos and 711's are still selling.  I don't know for how much longer though.  Nor do I comprehend the reason why they would stop selling it.  Have the Jehova Witnesses finally taken over or something?

Think about it. It is alcohol. We are facing a pandemic. The worst is yet to come.

14 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I wish Winston Churchill was around to be the Devil´s advocate!  LOL

..."and in the morning, I will be sober. You, madam, will still be ugly"

WC

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Xena said:

And, will you be disappointed if no one gives a shit what you consider a waste of money?

Will alcohol help the hungry children? Their distraught fathers might think different and crave the drink to hide from the disparity of not being able to feed their family. The little money they have can’t be wasted. If you have so much cash to buy your much needed booze then spend some of it to buy food for the needy kids. Careful, no wasting!

10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Or WCTU???      :D

The Woman's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) is an active international temperance organization that was among the first organizations of women devoted to social reform with a program that "linked the religious and the secular through concerted and far-reaching reform strategies based on applied Christianity." It ...

Lots of things are bad for people and many folks who do not drink have other bad diet  habits.  I don't drink anymore (kidneys) but I don't see it as something I care about. Don't think it is a gringoes job to tell mexicans what they should do or not do.  I will tell gringoes if they have the money is buy food for the mexicans.  Our money can help a great deal.  Right now thats what I care about. Food for people.  We are thinking of turning part of our 1200 dollars into food here for people and food for food banks in our former home. I hope to be wrong about what is going to happen but to me it looks bad real bad. I can understand if you don't have the money to help but if you do please help.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ferret said:

2 minutes ago, pol2sol said:

It is so funny to watch the guzzlers blabber and relate to this as fun. Go for it, your pancreas, liver or kidneys hopefully won’t tell you “I told you so”.

19 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

As far as I am aware the Oxxos and 711's are still selling.  I don't know for how much longer though.  Nor do I comprehend the reason why they would stop selling it.  Have the Jehova Witnesses finally taken over or something?

Jehovah's Witnesses drink alcohol. Not to excess, but it is not forbidden. 

20 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Jehovah's Witnesses are allowed to drink alcohol. You may have them mixed up with Mormans or Southern Baptists?