Chapala.com Webboard

Say it isn’t so....?

4 hours ago, Beebee said:

I agree with you Ian, about being outside while practicing safe social distancing, is not considered dangerous by most of the pundits I've read but the governor of Jalisco's mandate includes closing all pools, parks, beaches, trails.  I am physically suffering from not being able to get in the pool for non weight bearing exercise, I live in Raquet Club and in my opinion, the pool could easily be safely used and provide us shut ins with some mental health time.  I read that the trails are for the most part so narrow and steep that safe social distancing isn't possible but it's possible that it's for the Semana Santa shrine visits.  I feel your pain....

According to the CDC chlorinated pools are okay.

There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools, hot tubs or spas, or water playgrounds. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g., with chlorine and bromine) of pools, hot tubs or spas, and water playgrounds should inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.

“While there is ongoing community spread of COVID-19, there should be appropriate care taken both in and outside the pool,  to protect yourself and others. Owners and operators of community pools, hot tubs, or spas should follow the interim guidance for businesses and employers to plan and respond to COVID-The World Health Organisation recommended chlorination level of 15mg.min/litre is sufficient to kill non-enveloped viruses such as poliovirus, rotavirus and coxsackievirus, and an enveloped virus such as Covid-19 would be inactivated at even lower levels, the document says.”

And yet people get sick all the time from communal pools at the best of hotels, because truly, who knows how well they maintain them. Just happened to a family member a few months ago on the east coast of Mexico. Sure, someone here will say it wasn't the pool. We say it was.

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

And yet people get sick all the time from communal pools at the best of hotels, because truly, who knows how well they maintain them. Just happened to a family member a few months ago on the east coast of Mexico. Sure, someone here will say it wasn't the pool. We say it was.

There's a lot more involved in going to a public pool than just the water. All the flooring, of whatever kind, that people are walking around on in their bare feet, the bathrooms, the dressing rooms, door handles, etc, etc. It's a public place where people congregate. Whether the water is chlorinated to the point that viruses and bacteria can't live in it is only part of the equation.

I've also been reading about the dangers of being around water that gets splashed up into the air, as it does in the ocean and at a pool. Someone could be infected, and simply breathing hard, as people do when and after swimming, sends that infected breath out into the air and the fine water droplets carry it further than it would travel normally.

58 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

There's a lot more involved in going to a public pool than just the water. All the flooring, of whatever kind, that people are walking around on in their bare feet, the bathrooms, the dressing rooms, door handles, etc, etc. It's a public place where people congregate. Whether the water is chlorinated to the point that viruses and bacteria can't live in it is only part of the equation.

I've also been reading about the dangers of being around water that gets splashed up into the air, as it does in the ocean and at a pool. Someone could be infected, and simply breathing hard, as people do when and after swimming, sends that infected breath out into the air and the fine water droplets carry it further than it would travel normally.

You just proved my point.

I saw a group of six Bombaros (firefighters) on the street in front of my house with Yellow police tape checking the trails leading up into the mountain at the top of Juarez in Ajijic.  The last time I looked the tape was already put up blocking the trail near the  beginning of the month. However there are several trail up here and I guess they were up checking them all and ensuring that they had blocked the trails with yellow police tape.