Chapala.com Webboard

Say it isn’t so....?

I just received a photo showing the police / authorities yellow taping a path up the mountains...is this perhaps a plan to forestall some of the Easter festivities...? As I have been thrown off the malecon three times this week and then the soccer field  ( west Ajijic  ) this morning , My usual routine is the mountains once or twice a week...the malecon and the soccer field   the remaining days (with my dog ) ....does anyone have any info on the possible mountain closures ...

The mountain trail that's starts at the top of Juarez in Ajijic is closed. There is yellow "police tape" there saying closed or do not proceed or something like that. The point is the yellow tape blocks the entryway to the trail

The mountains are deserted  as are the rest of the places I walk...how is it O K to go to Walmart with a hundred people or more , yet to get exercise for a couple of hour’s  (solo ) everyday which is  at present allowed in most  countries.. that’s  what builds up your immune system  duh..! . The two cops that stopped me this morning were sat less than two feet apart without masks . imagine.. ?  Don’t worry about my plaque my lifestyle takes care of that.. I would  imagine most of your plaque is in your ### ...see you in the mountains....probably not it’s far easier to type

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Ian Greenwood said:

yet to get exercise for a couple of hour’s  (solo ) everyday which is  at present allowed in most  countries.

The problem is, that things like the Malecon get closed down because there are those who refuse to practice social distancing, like the 2 cops sitting right next to each other. So while of course getting out for exercise in the fresh air is fine, and necessary, the responsible people who understand not to come in close contact with others end up having to abide by rules that have to be made to deal with the ones who are either clueless, in denial, or just refuse to do the right thing.

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

The problem is, that things like the Malecon get closed down because there are those who refuse to practice social distancing, like the 2 cops sitting right next to each other. So while of course getting out for exercise in the fresh air is fine, and necessary, the responsible people who understand not to come in close contact with others end up having to abide by rules that have to be made to deal with the ones who are either clueless, in denial, or just refuse to do the right thing.

Exactly.

And I think they are being especially tough on this because of the holiday weekend.  You SHOULD be able to walk the Malecon and it is easy there to keep your distance.  But too many won't.

This is the fire season for our mountains.  Maybe they are trying to protect the firemen  From having to work during this virus.  If they want you to stay out of the mountains they must have a reason.  Buck up and do what they ask. Count your blessing ,you have a home, money coming in and not having to worry about how to feed your family.  Things could be a lot worse!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Same issues in US and other countries.  Cities kept parks, hiking trails and beaches open so people could exercise, keeping good distance.  But groups would show up to party, picnic, play basketball, etc.  Rather than expend police resources dispersing groups, they closed these open spaces to everyone.  With Semana Santa, it was the right thing to close the malecons, parks, plazas and hiking trails.  

The majority of our Semana Santa visitors are from Guadalajara, where it seems some are not following government recommendations.  

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/quarantined-tourists-in-nayarit-slip-away-in-helicopter/ 

At least four vacationers at a luxury resort in Nayarit escaped a government-imposed coronavirus quarantine via helicopter on Wednesday, says César Guzmán Rangel, head of Civil Protection in that state. 

The tourists from Guadalajara were among some 220 visitors at the beachfront resort Los Veneros. The quarantine was imposed when government officials learned that two of the guests at the luxury condominium development had tested positive for coronavirus before arriving at the resort, and the remaining residents refused to be tested.

Los Veneros — where rentals go for around US $1,400 a night — is located on the road to Punta Mita and under normal circumstances, guests are drawn to its “37 enchanted acres along a stretch of almost 1,500 feet of white sandy beach frontage at renowned Playa de Estiladeras,” the resort’s website reads.

Governor Antonio Echevarría Garcia did not hide his contempt earlier this week for the two tourists who decided to continue with their vacation plans — it is Easter Week in Mexico — after testing positive for the virus. Tourists “are always welcome,” he said, “but not if they infect our people.”  

In a Facebook post, the governor stated that he intended on winning what he called a war against coronavirus, and he would ask the state’s attorney general for help in dealing with those who refuse to abide by social distancing measures. 

“If we have to bend the law a little to save the lives of the residents of Nayarit, I am going to risk it,” he said.

At some point, though, the system is going to have to figure out a better approach.  The economic damage is rapidly becoming far worse than the virus, which studies seem to indicate will infect about a fifth of the population and the actual death rates are below one percent when one stops assuming everyone who had the virus and died was automatically killed by it and not by other causes. 

Just read that PV has 42,000 hotel rooms, only three hotels open and only 29 rooms rented.  The economic damage to the businesses and workers is catastrophic by any measure.  People are going to die from this in substantial numbers if they haven't already.  Remember there is basically no safety net in this country.  Mexico is also being hammered by a steep drop in remittances in addition to the literally overnight shut down of its huge tourism business.

In the longer time frame, a vaccine seems to be the answer for returning to normalcy.  There are at least several of these already in clinical trials.  Until then it will soon be a matter of deciding which is worse, death by virus versus death by starvation.

We shouldn't Overlook the psychological impact for many people of being confined to their home 24/7. For some, the resulting depression can be as much of a killer has the virus.

this is especially true  for people who are living alone, and sometimes even for couples.

This too shall pass.

I doubt that whomever put up the tape will remove it after the weekend, at which point there will almost zero chance of encountering anyone else on the trail. I myself still plan on hiking the trail simply because ample distancing is easily achieved. If someone is coming in the other direction just give them plenty of space.

14 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

I just received a photo showing the police / authorities yellow taping a path up the mountains...is this perhaps a plan to forestall some of the Easter festivities...? As I have been thrown off the malecon three times this week and then the soccer field  ( west Ajijic  ) this morning , My usual routine is the mountains once or twice a week...the malecon and the soccer field   the remaining days (with my dog ) ....does anyone have any info on the possible mountain closures ...

Please stay home! The Jalisco government is asking all residents to PLEASE stay home.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

I doubt that whomever put up the tape will remove it after the weekend, at which point there will almost zero chance of encountering anyone else on the trail. I myself still plan on hiking the trail simply because ample distancing is easily achieved. If someone is coming in the other direction just give them plenty of space.

Please stay home! The Jalisco government is asking all residents/tourists to PLEASE stay home.

14 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

The mountains are deserted  as are the rest of the places I walk...how is it O K to go to Walmart with a hundred people or more , yet to get exercise for a couple of hour’s  (solo ) everyday which is  at present allowed in most  countries.. that’s  what builds up your immune system  duh..! . The two cops that stopped me this morning were sat less than two feet apart without masks . imagine.. ?  Don’t worry about my plaque my lifestyle takes care of that.. I would  imagine most of your plaque is in your ### ...see you in the mountains....probably not it’s far easier to type

I agree with you Ian, about being outside while practicing safe social distancing, is not considered dangerous by most of the pundits I've read but the governor of Jalisco's mandate includes closing all pools, parks, beaches, trails.  I am physically suffering from not being able to get in the pool for non weight bearing exercise, I live in Raquet Club and in my opinion, the pool could easily be safely used and provide us shut ins with some mental health time.  I read that the trails are for the most part so narrow and steep that safe social distancing isn't possible but it's possible that it's for the Semana Santa shrine visits.  I feel your pain....