Chapala.com Webboard

Road blocks

A friend told me he heard  from a local that a road block on the Chapala Guadalajara highway  was set up to keep cars from Guadalajara coming to lakeside during the shutdown.  I realize this is second hand info at best but wondering if anyone can comment and or confirm this.

There are 3 roadblocks and that's official...from the new FB page by Hector, directed to expats.

Residents may not be aware that the police have maintained three check points to reject tourists and casual vendors from the Chapala area. The check points are at Sorianas, the liberamento and west Ajijic (near the recycling center)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Guadalajara yesterday. In front of Plazas Outlets mall was a stop point. There were people in Hazmat suites. There were a lot of officials. Orange cones and I was directed to a lane where they squirted gel in my hand and shot in the forehead with a thermometer. I was normal as I new and waved me on. Very polite and treaded well. No problem. 

• Like 1

Went thru that same "road block" yesterday on my way back from my 3 month Costco run at around noon time. Took about an hour because of the traffic back up. But there was in fact 2 check points. I was pulled over at the first one which was to check if I had been drinking. I was not pulled over at the second one (about 20 meters further) which was a temperature check. So luckily I had no Corona in my system. There was 4 tow trucks and all 4 had cars. Talking to my Mexican neighbor, the fine for drinking over the limit runs between 20,000 to 30,000 pesos plus the costs to get your car back plus 36 hours is prison. 

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Curious. Did anything close to this happen in the U.S.A. or Canada? Maybe Mexico is ahead of this more than worldwide critics give us credit for.

On interstate 10 in Texas at the Louisiana border for about 2 weeks.  Non Texas plates stopped & checked.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Curious. Did anything close to this happen in the U.S.A. or Canada? Maybe Mexico is ahead of this more than worldwide critics give us credit for.

Actually some state adjacent to NY closed access, but NY complained so much, that governor gave in. That, by law, is a local decision for mayors/governors to make. Florida, evidently, stopping those from NY and NJ from going to Florida.. This happened some time ago. States have a Lot of rights by the US Constitution and the Feds cannot impinge on those rights. Here in Mexico, the Feds are more powerful, if they care to be, which it looks like they do not.

In Hawaii, Big Island, they are ticketing for being on the road unless for an essential trip somewhere...mandatory home quarantine and not allowed to arrive with no accommodations or returning home...then just be in 14 day self quarantine.  Tough but they have low , low  numbers so far.

The fever comes a few days after you have been contaminated if you are going to be sick so just because you have no fever does not mean you do not have the virus.. There are lots a people with the virus who are asymptomatic..my sister in law is one of the, .. Her husband has it and she has zero symptoms although she has been tested now and is testing positive for the virus.

The temperature test does not eliminate many people who have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have lots of pictures of long care lineups all over, of people leaving Guad last week to get to PV and other places, and photos of residents blocking beach towns. I don't know if our municipality advertised in Guadalajara against coming here for their holidays, but judging by the number of Tapatios in town, those ads would have been ignored by a large number of people. Trouble is, we have all those ticky-tacky boxes out in the Senderos area, and lots of "weekend homes" lakeside, to which owners are entitled whether they are vacationing or not. So the retens are an enforced measure to try and keep people from gathering and being stupid by telling Easter vacationers to go home. This hasn't stopped families and groups in Riberas from throwing almost nightly get-togethers.

• Sad 1

In Riberas, yup. One was going on very close to me last night. If I had full gear... mask, gown, goggles, booties, gloves and hair covering... I would have gone over and knocked on the door and told them to disperse because this was a heavily infected area and that they were taking their lives into their own hands just by breathing the air. I hoped I also wouldn't get trampled in the stampede to leave.

• Haha 1

Channel 4 Guad news this afternoon had live report from outside Ixtlahuacan where police were checking all vehicles and turning those back with no proof of permanent local residence. This included people with weekend homes here. Also got Presidente of Chapala on the phone for an interview, who stressed malecon, restuarnats and all tourist attractions here CLOSED and go back where you came from like the State Governor has asked you to. Some drivers were mightily ticked off, but they WERE being turned away.

Then they showed same situation happening in Colima.... a measure to keep people from getting to the (closed) beaches.

Informador on line today posted the following Jalisco check points out of Guad:

• Carretera a Morelia (a la altura de las Plazas Outlet)
  • Autopista a Zapotlanejo (a la altura de la caseta La Joya)
  • Carretera a Chapala (a la altura de Ixtlahuacán de los Membrillos)
  • Carretera a Nogales (Venta del Astillero)
  • Carretera Las Palmas- Puerto Vallarta (Km 66)
  • Carretera a Mazamitla (Crucero Tuxcueca)
  • Tapalpa (al ingreso a la población)

If you have FaceBook, here's exactly what's been happening this afternoon at the split coming into Chapala from Guadalajara, by the Ch. Haciendas retorno. Lots of cars being turned around, some then just parking on the side of the highway to ponder their next move...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3524904010858791&id=100000176810278

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In British Columbia more things are shut down than here. But very few roadblocks to restrict movement. On the road to PV this week serveral checkpoints. They were turning back cars loaded with people going to the beanches.