Chapala.com Webboard

Mr. Mayor...

While the majority of elderly expats here are doing their very best to stay home as per THE GOVENOR OF JALISCO ORDERS, you reopen the Tiangis!! You are putting the community at risk not only by your actions but more importantly by sending a message to the community that physical distancing is not that important. We are all trying to do our part to save the lives of both our Mexican community, our elder community, and the healthcare workers. MR.MAYOR, CLOSE DOWN THIS TIANGIS PLEASE and do more to send the message to our community to STAY HOME! The expat community does so much for this area, you owe it to us to help keep us safe ,when we need you the most.

Good plea, but we expats and Mexicans do have the choice of going to the tiangus.....or not. This is true of all the venues in lakeside.

It is a good thing, IMO, that Superlake finally closed since our last visit  showed a mob scene with little personal protection or distancing, but all those customers (including us) made a free choice in going there.  It is up to us to use good sense in looking after ourselves.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gringal said:

Good plea, but we expats and Mexicans do have the choice of going to the tiangus.....or not. This is true of all the venues in lakeside.

It is a good thing, IMO, that Superlake finally closed since our last visit  showed a mob scene with little personal protection or distancing, but all those customers (including us) made a free choice in going there.  It is up to us to use good sense in looking after ourselves.

You completely missed my point.🙄

29 minutes ago, Guiness said:

The expat community does so much for this area, you owe it to us to help keep us safe ,when we need you the most.

You really believe this would affect how he proceeds?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Guiness said:

While the majority of elderly expats here are doing their very best to stay home as per THE GOVENOR OF JALISCO ORDERS, you reopen the Tiangis!! You are putting the community at risk not only by your actions but more importantly by sending a message to the community that physical distancing is not that important. We are all trying to do our part to save the lives of both our Mexican community, our elder community, and the healthcare workers. MR.MAYOR, CLOSE DOWN THIS TIANGIS PLEASE and do more to send the message to our community to STAY HOME! The expat community does so much for this area, you owe it to us to help keep us safe ,when we need you the most.

Many expats here think the world revolves around them.. Everyone has a personal choice to make, take precautions or not.  

If you felt so strongly about this issue why didn’t you take it to the Presidente of Chapala in person instead of ranting on a web board that very few local Mexicans read....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, gringal said:

With respect, Gringal, it is not just a matter of "free choice in going there". If the choices you or I make affected only us as individuals, I would agree. People who go into "mob scenes" in the current environment risk not only their own health but that of everyone they may come in contact with subsequently and everyone those people interact with, and so on. Your choice becomes my risk.

• Like 2

Saw a photo of a very empty tianguis on Facebook, with very few, but critical vendors. In VERY locked down Ontario Farmers' Markets have been declared  essential services, with a whole bunch of physical distancing requirements. Only the food vendors are to open  (no flowers, dry goods, jewelry, etc) . Many village Mexican families depend on THEIR tianguis, they don't have a car or much refrigeration. Poncho's, Walmart, the Organic Market, etc. are out of reach for them  physically as well as financially. We're not in Ajjic right now, so I don't know if the small, corner produce shops are still open? My suggestion would be if you have other options for your shopping use them and limit the number of people so that the Mexican families that have no other choice can shop in as safe an environment as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cookj5 said:

With respect, Gringal, it is not just a matter of "free choice in going there". If the choices you or I make affected only us as individuals, I would agree. People who go into "mob scenes" in the current environment risk not only their own health but that of everyone they may come in contact with subsequently and everyone those people interact with, and so on. Your choice becomes my risk.

Did you actually read my post?  If we have not been physically prevented from taking actions, we make free choices to do what we do. Hopefully, people will make responsible choices.  Some are; some aren't.

Hopefully, this quarantining will not cause more nitpicking and general crankiness.🙃

10 minutes ago, gringal said:

Since no one has been cuffed or chained before taking any action...or not, it  IS a matter of free choice whether one is willing to risk their own health and/or that of others.  Why is that so difficult to "get"?  Some former choices have been removed by official edict.  That is good, as far as it goes, but it doesn't replace making responsible choices in other matters.  Had we known what was going on in Superlake before parking and entering (masked), we would not have gone there.  We got out as quickly as possible.  It is a good thing that it is closing, since the management CHOSE to have that kind of shopping environment.  Walmart is now being much more responsible about shopping conditions.  Some small retailers are; some are ignoring the entire matter.

Soriana is reacting responsibly.

pedro kertesz

For the most part. But two days ago, one of the managers was on my cash, and stubbornly had his mask under his chin, even while I questioned, poked and prodded him to act more safely. With a lineup behind me of people not distancing, and not wearing masks, he finally pulled it up over his mouth... but not his nose, never once looking me in the face, ignoring any more of my comments. I asked the line in general "Correcto? Verdad?" and got that deer-in-the-headlights" stare.

When I recently shopped at Superlake, I saw a reasonable degree of compliance with the new regs.  However, today at El Torito I saw no compliance at all from other shoppers or workers, few of whom had masks.  The bag boy was touching a lot of things and then scratching his own face, no mask, of course.  This is not good.  If you go in there, be sure YOU are protecting yourself.

The good news is that Chapala has been keeping out the GDL visitors and weekenders.  Friends with first hand experience told me how the local cops (or whoever?  National Guard?) were turning away people from GDL if they could not prove they lived or worked here in an essential job.  The traffic was backed up 5 KM according to one friend, a doctor who will only be here twice a week.  He also said he saw at the GDL open fish market hordes of people, no one wearing masks, lots of family groups.  This is serious.  There are many known cases in GDL at this time, it's only a matter of time before the CV spreads around if everyone is not complying with the regs.  

This is no time for anyone to let down their guard!  Here is a small documented example of how easily the CV can spread:

https://abc7chicago.com/health/cdc-report-shows-how-1-person-spread-coronavirus-in-chicago-in-feb/6089490/