Chapala.com Webboard

Mercado Libre

I signed up for Mercado Libre recently.  When I try to purchase with a credit card (USA) it rejects the card and sends me to a link where they want me to upload my Mexican voter ID (which I don't have of course).  Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks in advance

Not me.... because I will NOT give my   (Canadian) credit card to any Mexican website. Opt to pay with cash.... easy at any Oxxo.  They will send you a form to print and take to Oxxo. Oxxo credit is transferred immediately to  ML and order is processed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, All Day said:

I signed up for Mercado Libre recently.  When I try to purchase with a credit card (USA) it rejects the card and sends me to a link where they want me to upload my Mexican voter ID (which I don't have of course).  Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks in advance

I guess it depends on the vendor. I ordered a Firestick on Mercado Libre on Tuesday afternoon, using my US credit card. It arrived yesterday. Less than 24 hours!

I use cash at OXXO sometimes, but the problem is that if the purchase is cancelled or returned, there is no way to get your cash back. It remains as a credit on Mercado Pago.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, All Day said:

Thanks in advance

I have bought Scotch and Bubbly white wine and vitamins a half dozen times with no problem with my US credit cards, It is worth using Cards for gasoline as well if you have the Citi card with 4% back which can be 15¢ to 20¢ a gallon back at year end. Never been asked for voter ID as I don't have one.

4 hours ago, CalGal said:

I use PayPal when  shopping on Mercado Libre - easy peasy!!!!!

Perhaps you can explain how you are able to use Paypal 

Mercadolibre uses their company Mercadopago to process the payments. I see options for payments by CCard, Debit card, Money in my Mercadopago account, My Mercadopago c card, Cash payment in stores or banks, and electronic transfer. Nothing regarding Paypal. 

5 hours ago, Natasha said:

Not me.... because I will NOT give my   (Canadian) credit card to any Mexican website. Opt to pay with cash.... easy at any Oxxo.  They will send you a form to print and take to Oxxo. Oxxo credit is transferred immediately to  ML and order is processed.

Mercadolibre is an international company that has a 26 billion dollar market cap. Their division Mercadopago processing of the payments is protected. They process millions of transactions monthly. Your credit card is as safe or safer than using it in a store assuming that your internet connection is secure.

And as mentioned if you have to file a claim the money can be returned to your card.