Chapala.com Webboard

Face Masks, price gouging or not

This week we shopped for Face Masks. Hearing that the Ladies in SJC were making them we purchased a couple for 100 pesos each.

Later my wife Mexican friend a dress maker etc said she was making them and the cost 30 pesos each, and a "better" quality/design. Vicky can be contacted at 3318321434 she lives on Consititucion

Please support the local Mexican community

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

What "ladies in San Juan Cosala"?  The sewing group of Operation Feed, which is compromised of local Mexican ladies working together to make items they can sell to have some income,  was selling them for 50 pesos each.  For another 50 pesos you could buy one to be given to a resident if the village.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Wow, lakeside7. A new low in your never-ending stream of complaints. The mask making is a charity: "an organization set up to provide help and raise money for those in need." In fact, you can't even get them right now, as they are devoting all their energy to helping lakeside villagers, not greedy, self-important, bloviating gringos.

So go spend your 30p and feel really good about yourself. I'm disgusted.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

You haven't BUT the San Juan Cosala group have been providing help to the less fortunate for a very long time. The masks were another of their efforts and the masks were sewn by those that they help. Win/Win. It was always a matter of choice as to whether you paid 100 pesos for a mask for yourself and another for someone who couldn't afford one at all OR just a flat 50 pesos for a mask for yourself. It would have been more than sufficient to just name Vicky as a source for masks WITHOUT your unfortunate comment about gouging. Spend your 20 peso saving wisely.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Wow, lakeside7. A new low in your never-ending stream of complaints. The mask making is a charity: "an organization set up to provide help and raise money for those in need." In fact, you can't even get them right now, as they are devoting all their energy to helping lakeside villagers, not greedy, self-important, bloviating gringos.

So go spend your 30p and feel really good about yourself. I'm disgusted.

Since I don´t have any emojis left all I can do is repeat your post and say that I´m double your DISGUST.   UNBELIEVABLE!!!

2 hours ago, bmh said:

The Indigenous in Chiapas have dropped the zapatista dolls and are now selling fabric masks for 20 pesos but they are very few people on the streets and not many wearing masks neither  so, so far  it is not a booming busness..

While I'd like to see them able to make money, I hope it doesn't become a booming business due to a leap in infections. I'm sure they could be selling them online somewhere or to Mexican hosptials if someone helped them organize that. A woman who was making them here for private sale isn't anymore, because she is busy filling orders for medical personnel.

9 hours ago, Sturdley said:

What is wrong with personal stuff?  Does it offend you?

Read the board rules.  Making personal comments about another poster whose post you disagree with instead of just addressing the content of the post creates animosity and divisiveness.  Personally attacking someone with whom you disagree also shows a lack of ability to make your own argument clearly and competently.  If you need to resort to that maybe it is time to review your position and see if it is really valid.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bmh said:

The Indigenous in Chiapas have dropped the zapatista dolls and are now selling fabric masks for 20 pesos but they are very few people on the streets and not many wearing masks neither  so, so far  it is not a booming busness..

I'm looking forward to the time I can visit San Cristobal again, one of my favorite places ever!  For me, that won't be until it is completely safe to fly, no more CV to worry about, etc.  BTW, how is the CV problem there?  Cuidate!

We are waiting for it.. I was at the market this morning as it is one block from my house.. It was not busy like it is usually but there are plenty of people and no masks on anyone.. There is a lot of flu...in the communities but it is flu season here so who knows..

I think there are 80 cases in CHiapas  and one death  in independencia which does not seem to appear on most reports..

My doctor who lives next door tells me it will be a disaster when it hits but so far  it is tranquilo as they say..  guess it is the calm before the storm. Artisans are suffering as there is no tourism and no business.. I am going to try to get out driving  next week to get back to Ajijic as April May is the season toget stuff from the air and with the virus around o point tempting fate..

Some villages are shutting the access to their village down to outsiders but those are few.. for the other life goes on as usual..Tuxtla has the most cases  as it is to be expected and Tapachula has seen the power of the virus.. no migrant crossing to go to the US.. Everyone is quiet happy about this one.