Chapala.com Webboard

Avoid Lakeside

22 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

I though it was pretty good, maybe not as good as mine ( font !) Just the right amount of believability when first read.

Hey, we're in Mexico not Denmark were almost nothing is perfectly straight.  New carretera and path/dividers are great for here. Even the new big budget macrolibriamento is pretty bumpy 

What´s your "engineering" background…:D:D:D   Get ready to be exposed, (THEY are watching:ph34r:)

1 hour ago, slainte39 said:

Not as "weak" as you think some people´s "engineering background" is. I have none, but I have an opinion that I value as much as some people´s "background".

BTW, what is your educational level of "engineering background" and diplomas from what Universities?  I know this is a rhetorical question as you can say anything. But you questioned my opinion and expertise, I am returning the favor.  As I said, I have NONE, do you want to argue with me over that?   LOLOLOL

Rick, after confessing to being a humble novice of engineering, I would hate to lose your friendship :D.  Mainecoons doesn´t want my friendship, no matter what my abilities are!!!, so please rethink your position.  Is there such a thing as "educational elitism"?  It´s sad that the upper class of such a select group has to be lowered into this pit of uneducated untouchables.

Wish I could find a forum to match my mental capabilities instead of intruding into the level of one that is above mine. Just a gluten for condescending punishment, I guess.

Well there's an informed opinion and there's just an opinion.  That's the difference here.  Back when I got two degrees in civil engineering and then practiced as a professional engineer for decades I actually did have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.

And when one is writing about engineering matters it helps to have at least some background in it.  I'd suggest you do some homework but I know that will fall on deaf ears.  Just a simple review of Jersey median barriers and how the design originated and evolved would teach you enough to know why these are so faulty and dangerous.

Just like everything else, what looks good on the surface is actually only as good as what is underneath.  In this case, the underneath fails the test of good design, engineering and construction practice.  You obviously don't have the background to understand or appreciate it.  Your commenting on what you see as good work here would be like me commenting on great brain surgery.  However, I would never presume to do that.

2 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Not as "weak" as you think some people´s "engineering background" is. I have none, but I have an opinion that I value as much as some people´s "background".

BTW, what is your educational level of "engineering background" and diplomas from what Universities?  I know this is a rhetorical question as you can say anything. But you questioned my opinion and expertise, I am returning the favor.  As I said, I have NONE, do you want to argue with me over that?   LOLOLOL

Rick, after confessing to being a humble novice of engineering, I would hate to lose your friendship :D.  Mainecoons doesn´t want my friendship, no matter what my abilities are!!!, so please rethink your position.  Is there such a thing as "educational elitism"?  It´s sad that the upper class of such a select group has to be lowered into this pit of uneducated untouchables.

Wish I could find a forum to match my mental capabilities instead of intruding into the level of one that is above mine. Just a gluten for condescending punishment, I guess.

Well there's an informed opinion and there's just an opinion.  That's the difference here.  Back when I got two degrees in civil engineering and then practiced as a professional engineer for decades I actually did have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.

And when one is writing about engineering matters it helps to have at least some background in it.  I'd suggest you do some homework but I know that will fall on deaf ears as usual.  For example, just a cursory review of Jersey median barriers and how the design originated and evolved would teach you enough to know why these are so faulty and dangerous.  What was done here was to replace technology proven and used around the world with feel good pretty which is a hazard for everyone.

Just like everything else, what looks good on the surface is actually only as good as what is underneath.  In this case, the underneath fails the test of good design, engineering and construction practice.  You obviously don't have the background to understand or appreciate it.  Your commenting on what you see as good work here would be like me commenting on great brain surgery.  I would never presume to do that.  And no amount of snark will make you into a qualified judge of road engineering.  Otherwise we could have had a non personal discussion of the points I raised and you could have explained to me where you think I have it wrong.

But snark on, you are definitely well grounded in that practice.  It wouldn't be a bit surprising to me to learn you have some sort of advanced training in it.  You definitely are my superior in that regard.  

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

But snark on, you are definitely well grounded in that practice.  It wouldn't be a bit surprising to me to learn you have some sort of advanced training in it.

"Getting too personal".

So interesting, Mainecoons, how you post warnings about getting too personal or too political to others you don't agree with, yet continue to do what you warn against yourself. Did you get a degree in hypocrisy?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

"Getting too personal".

So interesting, Mainecoons, how you post warnings about getting too personal or too political to others you don't agree with, yet continue to do what you warn against yourself. Did you get a degree in hypocrisy?

Not personal at all, acknowledging superior skills in snark.  What would you say about the post I responded to?

Let me put it up here again since you must have missed it.  :D 

Rick, after confessing to being a humble novice of engineering, I would hate to lose your friendship :D.  Mainecoons doesn´t want my friendship, no matter what my abilities are!!!, so please rethink your position.  Is there such a thing as "educational elitism"?  It´s sad that the upper class of such a select group has to be lowered into this pit of uneducated untouchables.

Mentioning me by name and laying on the snark.  I would suggest  you're pretty selective in your criticism.

Now if "39" or "41" would like to question or dispute the points I have raised about this project I would welcome that discussion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Mentioning me by name and laying on the snark.  I would suggest  you're pretty selective in your criticism.

My criticism is based on you giving warnings to other posters about the things you do yourself. Those other posters don't warn people not to get personal, like you do. And everytime you do, and get called out on it, you use the childish excuse of  "he hit me first".

• Thanks 1

And you are very selective in your criticism.  When you start being fair and balanced I'll pay more attention.  I understand and accept that some of you don't care for my take on things.  I don't like yours either but the difference is I don't impose a double standard on you or anyone else.  I'm always ready to debate the difference of opinion on a factual basis without the personal stuff.

When not moderating and posting as a member I reserve the right to respond when attacked.  Get used to it.  I'm not going to start it but I'm also not going to ignore it.

You'll notice on TOB Canuck Bob moderates the board but he doesn't pull his punches either.  And he doesn't even separate the two personas as is the practice here.

I think this is at least the second time I've had to explain that to you.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 9:04 AM, Mainecoons said:

I suppose if one has no background in design and construction of roads and barriers one might reach slainte''s conclusion.  However if one does, one notices things like:

1.  After milling and before paving deeper potholes not fixed.  These will be weak spots and early failure points.

2.  Surface inadequately cleaned before repaving.

3.  Adhensive layer totally inadequate.

4.  New paving poor quality material and too thin.

5.  Barriers invite accidents due to lack of visibility and low spots in the middle.  We've already had a number of accidents with vehicles getting hung up on them.  

6.  Nothing is going to live for long in those shallow planter boxes.  Is someone really going to water this stuff for 8 months per year?  Really??

7.  Maintenance?  I direct one's attention to the thousands of unrepaired pot holes in Ajijic and the total lack of any street repair in Riberas.  You can draw your own conclusions.

These deficiencies will lead to early failure during the rainy season.  Watch and learn.

I'm going to disagree with #5

Invite accidents ? Not really,  In order to hit them the driver has to steer into them, the road is straight. The accidents that happened were all a week after being erected, now people have learned and there hasn't been one since I believe. They have since also installed reflective pieces on them and although they aren't as tall as the old style, they are clearly visible and will be even more with the lights, and trees in them. I like that they left space in between them for easier pedestrian and dog crossings

• Thanks 2

Folks, I think that we all know what we are up against here. I don't have two civil engineering degrees nor am I a psychiatrist but I can still spot that condition from a mile away.

P.S.  "39", I was only joshing you. You are a breath of fresh air!  I would not want to loose your contributions to my online sanity. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

I'm going to disagree with #5

Invite accidents ? Not really,  In order to hit them the driver has to steer into them, the road is straight. The accidents that happened were all a week after being erected, now people have learned and there hasn't been one since I believe. They have since also installed reflective pieces on them and although they aren't as tall as the old style, they are clearly visible and will be even more with the lights, and trees in them. I like that they left space in between them for easier pedestrian and dog crossings

OK, do you recall the accidents where the delivery vehicles mounted the dividers?  I believe one of them at least thought he could turn onto a circle in La Floresta but because he didn't see the end barrier he turned too soon and ended up climbing it.

Remember the visibility is different for a tall delivery vehicle than it is for a car.  It is the west bound trucks that will have the visibility issue.  Many of those can't see the Jersey barriers along side either but if they side swipe one they continue to go straight.

This won't happen with the Jersey barriers they removed.  If you steer or swerve into those they simply redirect you straight.  They are much more forgiving of driver error.  That's why they are the standard for such barriers world wide.

It is easier to get through the new ones than the Jerseys that is for sure.  Did that myself this morning.  That's definitely a benefit if it doesn't result in more pedestrian accidents.  They are better looking too, provided the plantings are maintained.   

Thanks for your comments.  We'll see what happens when all is finished.

• Like 1

Jersey barriers?  Does anyone know if they are from the small island between the UK and France or one of the original 13 colonies, in the USA, that declared Independence from England?

You see, what I lack in engineering education I made up for in other areas…..3 degrees in Geography.

No Rick, I was just joshing too.  We´ll be kindred spirits to the end…….which on this thread is looming very likely, very soon.  :D:D:D

They were first designed and installed in New Jersey in the fifties and updated in the sixties as can easily be determined with a very simple look up.  There are few designs that have withstood the test of time as well as this one has all over the world.

Three degrees in geography?  Goes with the four in economics I presume?  :D :D :D

Too bad being kindred spirits these days seems to require slavish adherence to a cult of group think that can't tolerate other points of view and whose mainstay is personal attack in response to same.  Said adherents miss out on a lot.   Not to mention poisoning the well of public discourse.  Methinks this is a much greater long term threat to civilization than any virus.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

They were first designed and installed in New Jersey in the fifties and updated in the sixties as can easily be determined with a very simple look up.  There are few designs that have withstood the test of time as well as this one has all over the world.

Three degrees in geography?  Goes with the four in economics I presume?  :D :D :D

Too bad being kindred spirits these days seems to require slavish adherence to a cult of group think that can't tolerate other points of view and whose mainstay is personal attack in response to same.  Said adherents miss out on a lot.   Not to mention poisoning the well of public discourse.  Methinks this is a much greater long term threat to civilization than any virus.  

My degree is in TV and Film but I did spend a huge chunk of my life in Southern California, the acknowledged freeway capital of the world (it seems that cumulatively one year or more on the highways and byways there) and I never saw anything near this abomination and developing disaster that has been foisted upon us on the carretera...and some here are defending it!!! I remember 2 types of designs (see photos) in SoCal both engineered to deflect vehicles not impale them. Also in addition to the freeways there are mountain and canyon roads where one mistake could result in a long tumble with a deadly end. Another example would be the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) where you could go off a 500' cliff directly into the Pacific ocean. I have seen many instances where these barriers have saved countless lives, not to mention minimizing vehicle damage. Now, NOB I am sure that there would be an investigation instigated regarding this...but, OH WELL.........

Metal divider.jpg

Concrete divider.jpg

California freeways.jpg

highway-metal-beam-crash-barrier-500x500.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure how we got on the topic of steel guardrails as there are none in this project.  However here's an interesting study done by Michigan that shows there are a number of varieties and the type of guard rail has a lot to do with the severity of accidents.  One interesting point is that when support spacing is doubled from 6 feet to 12 feet the severity goes up significantly.

Without knowing the context of Angus's pictures, other than the curiosity value there's nothing much to be learned from them.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/RR372TS_10_535383_7.pdf

My point is that California has over century of experience building modern road systems of all types. Obviously whoever designed this monstrosity did no research whatsoever since it does not comply with proven examples of what works best, common sense or financial considerations. But as someone here said I'm not in SoCal anymore. How true, and neither do I miss it, especially the gruesome traffic.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

How long did it take for Google to search millions, trillions and gazillions of sites to find this? get a life! 

Don't you know he is THE  youtube/images savant ?   we're talking seconds to find whatever.

Get a life ?    Aren't you locked up inside as well ?

21 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Don't you know he is THE  youtube/images savant ?   we're talking seconds to find whatever.

Get a life ?    Aren't you locked up inside as well ?

Yeah, I know and 99% have no relevance to the topic. 

My life has not changed a lot since I am a virtual (and happy) recluse these days anyway with my 3 dogs, streaming TV, Internet as well continuing a nice little website business I established over 20 years ago. I do take a daily walk around my area is SAT, however they have chased me off the malecon here recently. 

• Like 1

I am an Engineer but of a different flavor so not an expert on the subject.  Mainecoons is a Civil Engineer with years of experience.  I suggest we take his word for it and move on to a different subject.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I support the improvements to the bike path, just wish the design and execution is better.  A decent, continuous bike path from Jocotepec to Chapala will get significant usage and is a worthwhile addition.  Attention needs to be paid to areas like from in front of Tobolandia to the east side of Laguna Mall though.  That is a no mans land for pedestrians and cyclists to cross right now.  Also I haven't been west of Juarez for a while, is anything being done about that missing segment there?  Extremely hazardous for bike path users as it was.  An effective bike and pedestrian path needs to be clearly delineated and protected as much as possible along its entire length.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1