Chapala.com Webboard

Avoid Lakeside

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I got stuck behind the dreaded watering truck, but not for long, as guys were out directing us around. What struck me, though: I don't know what kind of trees they put in, but even the slowest growing is going to have roots that break apart that concrete within a few years.

They're going to croak before they can do that

pedro kertesz

• Haha 2

Surprised they didn't plant lantana.  They plant them in highway median strips in Phoenix and don't water.  They bloom in dry weather, stay green in wet weather.  Shallow roots.  Had some in a narrow patio border in Bisbee with minimal dirt (mostly rock) and they did fine with much neglect (leaving them for 9 months at a time).  

48 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Surprised they didn't plant lantana.  They plant them in highway median strips in Phoenix and don't water.  They bloom in dry weather, stay green in wet weather.  Shallow roots.  Had some in a narrow patio border in Bisbee with minimal dirt (mostly rock) and they did fine with much neglect (leaving them for 9 months at a time).  

Ah, if only the phrase "planning and research" was in their vocabulary...

11 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The road is great. The rest is unnecessary, wasteful, and problematic for traffic.

Could be M., but since it is there, I´m going to enjoy it.  But keep on tryin´, I might go negative, who knows?  LOLOLOL.  I don´t have as much time left as you do, to worry about it.

I´m in my 80´s driving. and all I can say is anyone who can´t see those dividers….shouldn´t be driving…..and that is not an LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slainte39 said:

Could be M., but since it is there, I´m going to enjoy it.  But keep on tryin´, I might go negative, who knows?  LOLOLOL.  I don´t have as much time left as you do, to worry about it.

I´m in my 80´s driving. and all I can say is anyone who can´t see those dividers….shouldn´t be driving…..and that is not an LOL!

If you are in a delivery truck headed west bound you will have a problem seeing those dividers.  If for some reason you get pushed into them by ongoing traffic you are going to climb them.   The old New Jersey style barriers would just cause you to straighten out.  These will wreck you.  It has already happened and it will continue to do so.

14 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I suppose if one has no background in design and construction of roads and barriers one might reach slainte''s conclusion.  However if one does, one notices things like:

Thanks for the rather mild insult and condescending admonishment of my qualifications to have an opinion of the project.  Of course, it is also wonderful that we have "experts in background" that notices such things, to correct such ill founded opinions. 

Thanks also for the expert opinion, but I´ll stick with my opinion.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Willie said:

CG...the ones I saw, bush type, are oleanders......all parts very poisonous and extremely problematic for those with pollen allergies.  We had them all over Arizona and they finally outlawed them.

What i saw was Ficus and Jacaranda, guess everyone sees something different.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

If you are in a delivery truck headed west bound you will have a problem seeing those dividers.  If for some reason you get pushed into them by ongoing traffic you are going to climb them.   The old New Jersey style barriers would just cause you to straighten out.  These will wreck you.  It has already happened and it will continue to do so.

It is a disaster for sure, happening or waiting to happen, people should just quit driving and walk everywhere (sarcasm alert). Since they are already installed and won´t be removed, do you have another solution.  Since I don´t have any "background", I will be interested to hear a "backgrounders" solution to the "problem", other than just a prediction that it´s going to happen, and we all (even the less qualified),  know they will not be removed.

I´ll take my chances driving so you  can tell me "I told you so".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

If you are in a delivery truck headed west bound you will have a problem seeing those dividers. 

Interesting, I know a lot of delivery truck drivers, deal with Fed Ex, UPS, DHL, Estafeta, I´ll poll as many as I can and see if they have reached the same conclusion.

Let me clarify that the visibility is nil when one is close to or along side of.  Bottom line though is they replaced effective and safe dividers of a design that is used and proven world wide with something that is neither.

One of the tenets of road engineering is the designer needs to understand and compensate for the weaknesses of the users, not magnify them.  

I think if you had an engineering background you would understand better how flawed this project is.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

SNIP...

I think if you had an engineering background you would understand better how flawed this project is.

"39" let me be the first to share my condolences to you about your obvious shortcomings w/regard to your education level.  I think that maybe we (two) will have to break off our friendship due to your obvious shortcomings!

Signed:   "41"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Very weak sarcasm.  Keep working on it.    

:D 

Not as "weak" as you think some people´s "engineering background" is. I have none, but I have an opinion that I value as much as some people´s "background".

BTW, what is your educational level of "engineering background" and diplomas from what Universities?  I know this is a rhetorical question as you can say anything. But you questioned my opinion and expertise, I am returning the favor.  As I said, I have NONE, do you want to argue with me over that?   LOLOLOL

Rick, after confessing to being a humble novice of engineering, I would hate to lose your friendship :D.  Mainecoons doesn´t want my friendship, no matter what my abilities are!!!, so please rethink your position.  Is there such a thing as "educational elitism"?  It´s sad that the upper class of such a select group has to be lowered into this pit of uneducated untouchables.

Wish I could find a forum to match my mental capabilities instead of intruding into the level of one that is above mine. Just a gluten for condescending punishment, I guess.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Willie said:

Slainte39....sure hope they are not ficus nor jacarandra...their roots systems are quite invasive and cause many problems.

I only saw a few in La Floresta and today they were planting something different in Riberas del Pilar, don´t know what they were for sure, the worker said "arboles". LOL He was right about that!  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Very weak sarcasm.  Keep working on it.    

:D 

I though it was pretty good, maybe not as good as mine ( font !) Just the right amount of believability when first read.

Hey, we're in Mexico not Denmark where almost nothing is perfectly straight.  New carretera and path/dividers are great for here. Even the new big budget macrolibriamento is pretty bumpy 

• Like 1