Chapala.com Webboard

Expats and stimulus check

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Also just checked "Get my payment" and scheduled 4/29.

Based on that, I checked "Get My Payment" website and it is now saying that "I do qualify, it will be direct deposited into my bank account, they don't know just when yet but I should check back later"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunnyvmx said:

Received the deposit into my B of A account this morning by direct deposit. I haven't filed a tax return for the past 8 years.

22 minutes ago, RickS said:

Did you do anything 'proactive' or just sit back and wait?

According to the U.S. government websites that we have researched, those that do not have to file because income is lower than 22400 , joint (I may be wrong on this amount), do not have to do anything IF THEY ARE Currently receiving S.S. payments by direct deposit.  Those individuals should be receiving a 1099 each year and that information is what is required to issue a check.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#eligibility   Please refer to section Q1, Q2. and if you are not receiving S.S., Q5.

I get my monthly S.S. check deposited every month in my Seattle of B of A account. And I did file a 2018 Tax return. I am yet to receive my stimulus check. Oy well, I guess that it will eventually come. :) 

6 hours ago, #HarryB said:

we got ours direct deposited to the band account my tax payments come out of and this was weeks ago. Our deposit was reduced $400 without notice. Perhaps the reason is in the mail, even though they have our email. Perhaps we'll know by Christmas!

The only reason that I know that you would get less is if your 'earning' were over the limit and then they deduct 'some' the higher your earning were....

If you are a US citizen resident in Mexico and you receive your monthly Social Security payment as a direct deposit to an account in a Mexican bank and you have not filed a tax return with the IRS for 2018 or 2019, you will NOT receive a recovery stimulus payment by direct deposit.

Instead, at some indefinite time in the future, the US Treasury will MAIL you a paper check to the Mexican address on file with the SSA. 

More here at this link:

Americans Overseas and access to recovery stimulus payments

Am I reading this wrong? From your link: 

ACA notes that the IRS requires the use of a U.S. based bank account for direct deposit of the recovery rebates with an exception made in the case of an individual receiving U.S. Social Security benefits, in which case the individual will have created an account with the Social Security Administration and personally inputted the information allowing direct deposit into his or her foreign account.

From this I would be receiving a deposit to my Mexican account.

• Like 1