Chapala.com Webboard

Expats and stimulus check

41 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Why?  I paid US. taxes ..last year I spent thousands in the US and will do so again this year....what does it matter where I live.

I guess if you're in need then it will be a wonderful support for you. If you aren't in need, I don't think it's an entitlement. This is a time when everyone is giving to everyone else who can't survive without the generosity of our fellow man - the government is taxing the "general man" in order to help those in need - that is why I am glad I pay taxes and contribute to what needs to be done in order that everyone has food and roof 

16 minutes ago, Seren said:

I guess if you're in need then it will be a wonderful support for you. If you aren't in need, I don't think it's an entitlement. This is a time when everyone is giving to everyone else who can't survive without the generosity of our fellow man - the government is taxing the "general man" in order to help those in need - that is why I am glad I pay taxes and contribute to what needs to be done in order that everyone has food and roof 

Thank you ! 

1 hour ago, artsnob said:

I was told by a friend who works in consulate in Mexico City, it will be put in your bank account where social security goes, otherwise mailed..

Not exactly. If one does NOT receive SS but HAS filed a 2018 or 2019 AND paid their taxes electronically out of their bank account, the stimulus will be deposited into THAT bank account.

Otherwise, yes a check 'is in the mail'. Just don't look for it anytime soon. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RickS said:

Not exactly. If one does NOT receive SS but HAS filed a 2018 or 2019 AND paid their taxes electronically out of their bank account, the stimulus will be deposited into THAT bank account.

Otherwise, yes a check 'is in the mail'. Just don't look for it anytime soon. 

Thank you . that is what I read as well ..

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Why?  I paid US. taxes ..last year I spent thousands in the US and will do so again this year....what does it matter where I live.

And that is what it is for, to spend on the US economy. You will do that.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

If they put it where the social security check goes that really simplifies thing.

Mexico could use a little stimulus too.  :D 

Don't expect anything from AMLO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the IRS web page under who is eligible, the first line states US residents.   I read it all and it did not mention any exceptions. I am a non resident. I pay tax. I get SS. I am not expecting a deposit. I am going to try to paste the link but if it's not here, google IRS stimulus and go to the government website.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

12 minutes ago, liquipure said:

On the IRS web page under who is eligible, the first line states US residents.   I read it all and it did not mention any exceptions. I am a non resident. I pay tax. I get SS. I am not expecting a deposit. I am going to try to paste the link but if it's not here, google IRS stimulus and go to the government website.

But then there is this...  

https://www.hrblock.com/expat-tax-preparation/resource-center/tax-law-and-policy/coronavirus-stimulus-checks-faq/

I received mine Tuesday. It was deposited into my US checking account. It was $1,200.  I didn't ask for it and don't think I should have gotten it since I don't live in the states anymore.Not going to help the US economy much.  Another example of the US government not spending tax dollars very carefully. The next few month are going to be interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liquipure said:

The website is referring to legal residents of the USA. If you haven't renounced your citizenship you are a resident. If you are a green card holder that hasn't been out of the country more than 6 months of the last year you are a resident

1 hour ago, catbird said:

I received mine Tuesday. It was deposited into my US checking account. It was $1,200.  I didn't ask for it and don't think I should have gotten it since I don't live in the states anymore.Not going to help the US economy much.  Another example of the US government not spending tax dollars very carefully. The next few month are going to be interesting.

If you really think you shouldn't have received it, and have no way to spend it in the US then you can always give it back. Or donate it to a charity. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

If you really think you shouldn't have received it, and have no way to spend it in the US then you can always give it back. Or donate it to a charity. 

Thanks for sharing you views Mostly, you missed my meaning. If the US gov wants to help their economy they should be more selective in who they send it to. Kind of wasteful to send it to Mexico. But, I'll probably put it to better use than they will. Think I'll just keep it.