Chapala.com Webboard

Tianguis to Re-Open

Here’s my observation.   Although well meaning, not one comment was concerned about the vender and their plight.  Unlike the Expats, they have no income or unemployment insurance or a safety net.  Of course if you’re uncomfortable, don’t go.  But give them a chance to feed their families.

• Thanks 1

I met with the expat liaison and the Ajijic Delegado this morning and discussed the dangers of local busses, Guad busses and the tianguis. They will take the issues to the mayor. Today at noon they are giving out 50 dispensas in Ajijic. There are plans for distributions in the various villages of the municipality.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Golfguy said:

Here’s my observation.   Although well meaning, not one comment was concerned about the vender and their plight.  Unlike the Expats, they have no income or unemployment insurance or a safety net.  Of course if you’re uncomfortable, don’t go.  But give them a chance to feed their families.

Lots of Gringoes face this. Our house sitter has had all her jobs pretty much cancelled because of the virus.  I offered her 500P to help compensate.  I agree with the posters point just trying to point out some Gringoes are losing money also.   Help where you can folks both Mexican and Gringo is my point.

• Like 1

I live near the tianguis in Ajijic and shop for food there, but I hadn't heard this news and saw no obvious signs of the tianguis being open - such as traffic and cars around my house.  I thought it might be a good idea if the tiaguis was open only for food vendors, after all, everyone has to eat!  There would be plenty of space for them to spread out and not crowd eachother.  The produce shops on the Carretera have been doing big business since the tianguis was shut down.  One across from Oxxo, and another one next to Lupita's Roast Chicken joint.