Chapala.com Webboard

COVID19 Chapala food emergency program

Rony

The situation here at Lakeside is and will stay bad for A LOT of Mexican people.  Therefore, this week, a friend and I are starting a COVID19 FOOD EMERGENCY PROJECT. No money, only food, and what you bring in the morning will be handed out to ONLY needy people the very same day ( Tepehua, abused women and older people that usually go to DIF ). Nobody has to go hungry here.... and in the end, we all want to avoid a higher crime rate.
How it works ?

This coming Friday, GOOD FRIDAY, April 10th,  at 11 am SHARP, bring to DIF centro Chapala :
A bag with :
- one kilo of beans
- a big white loaf of Bimbo bread
- 3 apples
- a small package of cookies ( preferably Chokis... they sell them at OXO )
For the time being, plse, NOTHING else, as we want to start simple, easy, and give the same to every person.

It is a gift of max 100 pesos, and if we all chip in, it will make a world of difference for a lot of people in these difficult times.
I will monitor the waiting line, to help people respect SAFE DISTANCING ( Mexicans will also receive leaflets about this.... and only one member of the family can come, and we will have hand sanitizers there ).
If you want to avoid going out, maybe one person can collect the bags on behalf of several people, and bring it all to DIF that morning.

Show your good heart.  It is only a small effort.  If it becomes a success, we will continue this on a regular basis.  The leaflet points out that this is the expat community helping our Mexican neighours in need.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I would be very happy to give a volunteer 1000 pesos to go shopping and make up 10 bags but since I am high risk from the corona virus (old and with COPD and asthma) I won't be able to go shopping.  They can come to the front door and we will put the money through it for them.

Maybe you can find some younger folks to handle donations like this.

• Thanks 1