Chapala.com Webboard

Shopped at Soriana

Yesterday.They were well set up,blocking off the south inside entrance,so only the north to go in and then leave through the cashiers where there were yellow X's for distancing. The employees all had masks and gloves.Not many customers in the store, the vast majority being Mexicans who were aware enough to keep  their distance from others. Unlike Walmart almost all the shelves and meat department were well stocked with no pallets in the isles.Contrary to fake info the liquor dept. is not roped off. The bagging was done by young people because Soriana had sent the usual older women home for their safety and there is a BOX at the info desk which is for DONATIONS for them.

• Thanks 5

Good news. A family-owned business with many strengths. I'd like to see them add food-bank donation boxes, although I have no idea (apart from recent posts on this Board) if there is any reliable effort in that direction generally. Walmart, too. I would add that Sorian's fruit and vegetable department has suddenly started looking mighty fine, after years of neglect.

17 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Good news. A family-owned business with many strengths. I'd like to see them add food-bank donation boxes, although I have no idea (apart from recent posts on this Board) if there is any reliable effort in that direction generally. Walmart, too. I would add that Sorian's fruit and vegetable department has suddenly started looking mighty fine, after years of neglect.

Their fruit and veg dept is far superior to Walmart. It has been for a long time We bought some yesterday. Another thing,they have a selection of a few brands of arrechera.

The doors by the Pet Store have been blocked off for a couple of weeks.  The only areas that I have found that have not been restocked recently are the soup and some of the pasta section.  Dog food treats are missing a few items completely too.  I agree completely about the fruit and vegetables being superior to Walmart.  

Thanks for the update.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Soriana looked good today with only one cashier. 

One correction.... Soriana is not any more family owned than Walmart. Soriana has a market cap over 2.1 billion dollars,. Stock is traded publicly. It operates   Soriana Hiper, Mega hypermarkets, Soriana Super and Comercial Mexicana supermarkets, Soriana Express and Super City grocery stores, Soriana Mercado and Bodega discount supermarkets, as well as City Club membership clubs. It's headquarters are in Monterrey, Mexico.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Good points. But two brothers started it, and I believe they still own it with other board members. But the point one can take away from this is really for those people who hate everything WalMart.

It's a publicly traded company. Walmart was founded by Sam Walton, and the Walton family owns millions of shares,  over 50%,  just as the founders of Soriana own millions of shares. They are both  public corporations. 

People can hate any company. Logical or not. Imagine all the small mom & pop markets that  went out  of business when Soriana came to Chapala. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

It's a publicly traded company. Walmart was founded by Sam Walton, and the Walton family owns millions of shares,  over 50%,  just as the founders of Soriana own millions of shares. They are both  public corporations. 

People can hate any company. Logical or not. Imagine all the small mom & pop markets that  went out  of business when Soriana came to Chapala. 

It's also Mexican. A Mexican family. I like Mexican.

It's all rhetoric at this point.

My comment about hate was in anticipation of the WM haters. I have nothing against progress. I do have a distaste for corporate mismanagement of lives. Now, perhaps there are stories of Soriana underpaying, importing goods made with child labour. That would cause me to think. But...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Soriana looked good today with only one cashier. 

One correction.... Soriana is not any more family owned than Walmart. Soriana has a market cap over 2.1 billion dollars,. Stock is traded publicly. It operates   Soriana Hiper, Mega hypermarkets, Soriana Super and Comercial Mexicana supermarkets, Soriana Express and Super City grocery stores, Soriana Mercado and Bodega discount supermarkets, as well as City Club membership clubs. It's headquarters are in Monterrey, Mexico.

I understand that they also have ownership in Mega, Fresko and City Market.

Where do you get your information, or do you just make stuff up? Carlos Slim has nothing to do with Soriana (which is 100% Mexican owned, and when I say local, I mean Mexico). The brothers that started it, however, were originally from a Spanish province called Soria.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Where do you get your information, or do you just make stuff up? Carlos Slim has nothing to do with Soriana (which is 100% Mexican owned, and when I say local, I mean Mexico). The brothers that started it, however, were originally from a Spanish province called Soria.

Nothing personal

Probably the majority of stock is owned by Mexican investors. But for sure it is not 100% Mexican owned. The majority of Mexico's major  publicly traded companies have international investors.  Sometimes with controlling interests. Some Mexican companies have controlling interest in other countries corporations (ie Bimbo)

We live in a multinational world when it comes to business. Heck Saudi Arabia just bought 8% of Carnival corporation.

I get it that you like Soriana .But,  Soriana Organizacion Soriana SAB de CV is not 100% Mexican owned.  It is a publicly traded company. There are 1.8 billion shares issued. You can buy shares in the USA. Today's asking is $.75 a share.  There are many investors from various countries that own shares in Soriana. 

1 hour ago, ednet94 said:

They do own Mega. But Fresko and Citymarket are owned by the previous owners of mega not by Soriana.

1 hour ago, ednet94 said:

They do own Mega. But Fresko and Citymarket are owned by the previous owners of mega not by Soriana.

Are you saying Fresko (which was rebranded to LaComer) which Soriana bought in 2016 has ben re-sold since Soriana bought it?

They bought most Megas but not all of them. Comercial Mexicana ( Mega ) group owned 50 percent of Costco when they first entered Mexico. Got big heads and built a couple of hundred Megas with much borrowed money and started their financial downfall.

38 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Did some of you forget that this thread was just about what you may expect when shopping at the SORIANA in CHAPALA. Why not start a thread about corporate history and structure of Soriana et al somewhere else and like in General Mexico.🥱🤮😴😴😴

Still telling posters what to post Big Kahuna. 😄