Chapala.com Webboard

Food Bank Lakeside

Chapala has given out 1550 food baskets and all top level politicos are giving 30-50% of their salaries to feed the poor presumably through DIF which already administers programs for the poor, i.e. cash reimbursements for keeping kids in schools, milk allowances.......

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Using credit card very high fee.  Paypal only set up for Canadian dollars.  How to donate pesos or in dollars?

Its automatically converted to dollars in paypal

Chile Verde restaurant in Ajijic (across from Plaza) has been providing provisions to local families in need due to loss of work.  While they are closed today (Monday) they will be preparing boxes for families and accepting donations from the public.  FB post indicates they will be there from around 2pm.  

I would prefer another way to donate rather than in person, but I will wear my mask and drop off an envelope.  At least this way my contribution is not diluted by PayPal's horrific exchange rate and fees.  Though, registered charities with PayPal are not charged the fee (my experience with other local charities here who I donate through PayPal.  

3 hours ago, #HarryB said:

Chapala has given out 1550 food baskets and all top level politicos are giving 30-50% of their salaries to feed the poor presumably through DIF which already administers programs for the poor, i.e. cash reimbursements for keeping kids in schools, milk allowances.......

Not what I heard from the DIF director, but I am seeing her this morning.  I will ask her again.

With all due respect, Harry, but your post indirectly sends out the message that foodwise everything is under control.  It isnt. Far from it

I am trying to set up a food project program for Chapala

More about that in a few hours

.....EDITED,... a few hours later.  Here is what I just found : actually there will be 3000 food bags, but : not yet distributed AND divided over 8 municipalities, which is less than only 400 per municipality.

How, what, how many, when, where,....dont matter much.

Important point is : not nearly enough for what is needed ( see my separate thread about how to help more )

Rony

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

The Paypal fee is even more excessive, over $8.00 U.S. on $140 Canadian.  I'll use the credit card.

Done.  Very easy but it would be nice to be able to donate without these fees.  Rather have the money go to the food bank.

They should try to change the paypal to  "family or friends" to avoid the fees