Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Covid19 hotspot on route to Eagle Pass

26 infected with coronavirus at Mexico hospital; doctor dead in Montclova

Montclova is a stopping point for nortenos heading up into Texas through Saltillo to Eagle Pass. It is a steel town with both iron ore and coal and steel furnaces. The reason for the cluster in Monclova is probably the large number if Asians we see at the hotel Fiesta Americana when we stop there who seem to be on business in the steel or coal sector. You might want to avoid this route if this is your usual stop over.

Article Here

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, geeser said:

The reason for the cluster in Monclova is probably the large number if Asians we see at the hotel Fiesta Americana when we stop there who seem to be on business in the steel or coal sector.

One fairy tale deserves another.

que-le-corten-la-cabeza-81686.gif

The news story I read attributed the outbreak to a Mexican truck driver who entered Mexico from Texas.  He entered the emergency room in a Monclova hospital and promptly infected more than two dozen of the hospital staff.  Either way, the horse is out of the barn.

33 minutes ago, geeser said:

The reason for the cluster in Monclova is probably the large number if Asians we see at the hotel Fiesta Americana when we stop there who seem to be on business in the steel or coal sector. 

More likely is the fact that thousands of Japanese immigrants came in the late 19th Century seeking jobs in the new Coahuila coal and steel plants. Many of their descendants still live in the area and probably even have some Asian friends who visit and stay at your Hotel Fiesta Americana. 

So I doubt the Covid cluster have anything to do with them being there, but good try.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

More likely is the fact that thousands of Japanese immigrants came in the late 19th Century seeking jobs in the new Coahuila coal and steel plants. Many of their descendants still live in the area and probably even have some Asian friends who visit and stay at your Hotel Fiesta Americana. 

So I doubt the Covid cluster have anything to do with them being there, but good try.

I have been at the Fiesta Hotel when sprinter buses pick up  groups of 12-20 of 25-35 year old male Asians to take them to what sounded like a tour or class. The groups were met and managed by a what appeared to be a Mexican national interpreter. They probably weren't going to visit cousins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geeser said:

I have been at the Fiesta Hotel when sprinter buses pick up  groups of 12-20 of 25-35 year old male Asians to take them to what sounded like a tour or class. The groups were met and managed by a what appeared to be a Mexican national interpreter. They probably weren't going to visit cousins.

In any case, assuming that those were the people who introduced COVID to the area is a monumental and seemingly racist leap of logic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! Give me a break!

Yes, jumping to the conclusion that some Chinese visitors brought COVID to the area, without one shred of proof, rather than it being brought by a Mexican, American, or anyone else is the definition of racism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, jumping to the conclusion that some Chinese visitors brought COVID to the area, without one shred of proof, rather than it being brought by a Mexican, American, or anyone else is the definition of racism.

After all it is the CHINESE VIRUS. Now, if in fact it was surmised that it was brought by a Mexican or an American and someone made a comment about that, would this also be RACIST. This whole "movement" about making everything RACIST is in fact racist itself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, johanson said:

Some have posted that the name and/or term "gringohombre" is racist. Is that possibly true?

You are making my point precisely. If anyone can see RACIST in anything, it vastly diminishes the original meaning of the word, making it meaningless...does "crying wolf" still have meaning?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Growing up in Geneva, Switzerland we could buy marshmallow candy covered in chocolate  from the local grocery store. They were called "tete de negre" which translate to "nigger head" and no one ever blinked an eye. (The packaging had the name on it as well). 

Hopefully the world is more enlightened now.  Sometimes I think and other times no.  When I was a child, my parents took me to a KKK rally in Texas.  At the time, I was too young to know what it was all about.  Now, it is something I will always feel bad about.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Growing up in Geneva, Switzerland we could buy marshmallow candy covered in chocolate  from the local grocery store. They were called "tete de negre" which translate to "nigger head" and no one ever blinked an eye. (The packaging had the name on it as well). 

Another example of political correctness misinterpreting reality. Direct from Wikipedia:  In the French-speaking part of Switzerland as well as France they are known as Têtes Choco ("chocolate heads"), or and more commonly as Tête-de-nègre. Where does it use the N-word? A similar thing happened in certain parts of the US when liquor stores refused to carry Negro Modelo Mexican beer because of the name...political correctness run amok.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Another example of political correctness misinterpreting reality. Direct from Wikipedia:  In the French-speaking part of Switzerland as well as France they are known as Têtes Choco ("chocolate heads"), or and more commonly as Tête-de-nègre. Where does it use the N-word? A similar thing happened in certain parts of the US when liquor stores refused to carry Negro Modelo Mexican beer because of the name...political correctness run amok.

You remind me of my parents.

23 hours ago, mudgirl said:

In any case, assuming that those were the people who introduced COVID to the area is a monumental and seemingly racist leap of logic. 

What is racist about it? What a steaming pile to hide behind! The reason I posted this post was to advise those who normally drive that route to the USA to be extra cautious. My post are only there to help those who need information, what was yours there for? So far most cases had a China connection. The Chinese have a large presence in the Montclova area. I guess you knew that because you travel that route regularly?

3 hours ago, geeser said:

The reason I posted this post was to advise those who normally drive that route to the USA to be extra cautious. My post are only there to help those who need information

And that part was fine. The speculation about what race of people you consider could be responsible for it appearing there was completely unnecessary and best kept to yourself. 

On 4/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, RickS said:

That sounds very interesting; thousands of Japanese immigrants-------. Who told you the story?  It can not be correct!  Japanese immigrants in 1897, with the first thirty five arriving to Chiapas  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mexicans  

Actually, they are not the first; there were two Japanese who lived in the center of Guadalajara around 1675.