Chapala.com Webboard

Portable CV killer to carry w/you

As usual, watching/reading CV news.

One thing I caught was how even w/gloves you can transmit the virus. Especially mentioned was the steering wheel of your can, which I had not thought of. So here is what I am doing.

Get an empty spray bottle and fill it with a  diluted bleach/water mix. Scale down the amount for the bottle. Use 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 USG of water.

Then carry this bottle w/you and you can spray down not only the door handles of your car, but the steering wheel.

The bottle must be opaque since light (and as I recall, heat) degrades bleach. If you don't have an opaque bottle, you can use masking tape for the clear parts, of the bottle to keep the light out.

Hope this helps someone.

26 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

As usual, watching/reading CV news.

One thing I caught was how even w/gloves you can transmit the virus. Especially mentioned was the steering wheel of your can, which I had not thought of. So here is what I am doing.

Get an empty spray bottle and fill it with a  diluted bleach/water mix. Scale down the amount for the bottle. Use 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 USG of water.

Then carry this bottle w/you and you can spray down not only the door handles of your car, but the steering wheel.

The bottle must be opaque since light (and as I recall, heat) degrades bleach. If you don't have an opaque bottle, you can use masking tape for the clear parts, of the bottle to keep the light out.

Hope this helps someone.

That's way too weak a bleach solution to do the job.  Agree with Kyle.  I carry around alcohol and on entering the car use it on my hands AND on the steering wheel.

I add 1 Tablespoon of bleach to 500 ml of water and put it in a spray  bottle. This is from the DHHS (Public Health Services)

I use mine in and around the house.  I disinfect the kitchen counter with it.  Spray groceries with it before I put them away.  Be sure to let the solution dry.  Many other things including car keys.

In my car I have a container of the Clorox wipes and a gel (to which I have a little extra isopropyl alcohol)  Every time I get in the car I wipe my hands thoroughly  with a wipe along with the steering wheel.  Then I put some of gel in my hands and rub it around until dry.  

And so forth.

5 hours ago, Natasha said:

That's way too weak a bleach solution to do the job.

Wrong. More bleach doesn't mean it will kill the virus better. the recommended amount is 4 teaspoons per litre of water. The water is essential to the efficacy of sterilization.

Eric, I'm not sure what you meant, "even gloves don't protect you". Of course you can't touch your steering wheel or anything else with gloved hands you've just touched things in a store with. That would seem to be self-evident. I've been wearing gloves in stores, then remove them carefully after I've unloaded the groceries which haven't been sterilized yet, and only then touch the steering wheel and other areas in my car. My steering wheel doesn't need disinfecting because I haven't ever touched it with anything but freshly washed or sterilized hands.

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Wrong. More bleach doesn't mean it will kill the virus better. the recommended amount is 4 teaspoons per litre of water. The water is essential to the efficacy of sterilization.

Eric, I'm not sure what you meant, "even gloves don't protect you".

Some people say/think gloves give you a false sense of security. Fact is, even "experts" sometimes have differing opinions.

Things are still in the learning stage with this virus.

I use nitrile gloves and N5 masks. Sort of belt and suspenders thinking.

When I get home, I spray the gloves completely with the solution and then wash my hands for 30 seconds.

Best to all.