Chapala.com Webboard

Needing a stent and Dr Virgen

Bring cash or be able to wire to a Texas bank in their family members name

• Thanks 1

I can tell you from personal experience that 1.get a second opinion , they love to put stents in down here that may or may not be needed . 2.find another hospital or as Spencer says bring lots of money and have your lawyer on speed dial .PM me for more info if you want.

9 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Talked  to my Ajijic based Doctor about stent and  Dr Virgen was recommended. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Does he only work out of Los Angeles Del Carmen. I read reviews on it and most are not that wonderful.

First, who is your Ajijic doctor that allegedly knows as much as a Cardiologist to recommend stent? I haven't ever known a GP that has enough knowledge to make such a recommendation. You may want to change doctors right now.  Virgen is the head of Cardiology at Del Carmen  and Dr. Salas worked under him until he went off on his own. I have experience with both and my wife and I are with a different Cardiologist now.

Without getting into my miserable stent experience of last year, I later got an appointment with Dr. Briseno.  I recommend him highly as a doctor who is in no hurry to use the knife.  I would also recommended using a different hospital if you need surgery.  Your bank account will thank you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gringal said:

Without getting into my miserable stent experience of last year, I later got an appointment with Dr. Briseno.  I recommend him highly as a doctor who is in no hurry to use the knife.  I would also recommended using a different hospital if you need surgery.  Your bank account will thank you.

Most good doctors have privileges in more than one hospital and generally will give you the option[cost] as to where you want them to work on you. You do not pick the hospital, the doctor does so that chore is out of your purview. Briseno is our Cardiologist. 

• Like 1

You can pick the hospital and I have been in many of Guads best. I would NEVER go to DEL CARMEN for their financial issues. I have always told / asked my doctors which hospital is best for the current issue. Several have stent labs---there is specialized equipment.

10 minutes ago, #HarryB said:

You can pick the hospital and I have been in many of Guads best. I would NEVER go to DEL CARMEN for their financial issues. I have always told / asked my doctors which hospital is best for the current issue. Several have stent labs---there is specialized equipment.

I would suggest that it depends on what you have done there. My Orthopedic Surgeon did a spinal  intradermal on 2 of my lumbar collapsed discs and used the fluoroscopy room to the left of the entrance with 3 tech assistants present and supplies for procedure. I  got there in the AM and was out early afternoon. Del Carmen's charge was $4500 pesos.

11 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Talked  to my Ajijic based Doctor about stent and  Dr Virgen was recommended. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Does he only work out of Los Angeles Del Carmen. I read reviews on it and most are not that wonderful.

Last week at Hospital San Javier, Dr Jose Salas did angiogram on a friend and found that a stent would not help. So everything but the Stent ($2000 USD) cost under $7000 USD and went on a Visa Card. That was all hospital cost (cath lab and 1 night room) and the physician and his team. The hospital is relatively virus free with only 4 covid cases last week. 2 in ICU and 2 in isolation rooms. Every one wears a mask and temperature checked before entry. Most doctors have privileges at several hospitals. If you are going to do it do it before the big virus wave hits.

9 hours ago, michael2595 said:

I have also been given Dr. Najar as a recommendation from some people in my complex. All say he is really good. Anyone here knows of Dr. Nahar? His practice is at San Francisco Asis hospital.

I'll ask you again. Which doctor said you need a stent and what tests were you given? Quit frankly this whole thing is sounding a bit fishy.

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I'll ask you again. Which doctor said you need a stent and what tests were you given? Quit frankly this whole thing is sounding a bit fishy.

Its not a bit fishy and I would rather not mention this persons name for that DR is extremely well known and the report I got with the films said that I need to have this taken care of. I even saw the films and pointed out where it was needed. The films were taken in GDL. Thank you for your concern

1 hour ago, michael2595 said:

Its not a bit fishy and I would rather not mention this persons name for that DR is extremely well known and the report I got with the films said that I need to have this taken care of. I even saw the films and pointed out where it was needed. The films were taken in GDL. Thank you for your concern

So, now you have several here who recommend the best at Lakeside, yet you still want others? I think you may have more problems that finding out if you really need a stent, unless you are qualified to read an x-ray.

1 hour ago, michael2595 said:

SO you're saying that you've already had an angiogram because that's the only way one can determine if you need a stent? A good cardiologist would do this and since he's in there would give you an  angioplasty to facilitate  stent placement. But looks like you don't want any help really. Bueno suerte.

angioplasty.jpg

On 4/6/2020 at 2:12 PM, happyjillin said:

SO you're saying that you've already had an angiogram because that's the only way one can determine if you need a stent? A good cardiologist would do this and since he's in there would give you an  angioplasty to facilitate  stent placement. But looks like you don't want any help really. Bueno suerte.

angioplasty.jpg

Did I say I had an angiogram? I had far better and saw clear as day the occlusion. I had a High field Cadiac MRI .  Thank for your  snarky remarks. My procedure is being done  next week. 

26 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I had a High field Cadiac MRI.... I have never heard of that procedure..not that I am a doctor...was it expensive?..I guess it is less (non invasive) which is good.

I believe it was somewhere north of 15,000 pesos when I had it done. The crew who did it were amazing. Took around 4 hours because they had to get my pulse down to around 60 or 70 for the scan to be effective. They gave me the films and also  3d color pictures of my heart which also showed that I had slight anemeia. Got blood work and yes, i have it. . I was amazed. ..... https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=cardiacmr#overview

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS710US710&q=pictures+of+cardiac+MRI&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj3yoiwwdfoAhUmmXIEHXV2CnIQ7Al6BAgEECw&biw=1366&bih=625