Chapala.com Webboard

Tuesday Farmers Market OPEN

I received a very long email about the status of next week's Farmers Market. If you want all the details plus a list of vendors, please send an email to farmers(at)marketchapala.com

Hi Farmers' Market Friends: 

As of April 1st, a new Federal law was released that due to the now declared National Health Emergency, where Street Markets & Store Markets are considered to be of essential necessity, and thus, we are OPEN for BUSINESS on Tuesday, April 7th from 9:30 AM- 12:30 PM (see Shopping time slots below!).  CONTINUAL HYGIENE REGULATIONS are need from all of us (above the norm) & a limited  number of persons per 15-20  minute time frames. SO help us by abiding to the Shopping Time Slots, and following and respecting the NEW stipulated  way of social conduct, and be as quick and goal-oriented, as possible (ie. No social crowding, no gathering to chat in the market, no sit down to eat food, chit chat, socializing, etc.). Come and go, to allow the next person in line to shop.  All of this during the declared world crisis. 

You are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to use face masks, and RESPECT SAFE DISTANCES (please self monitor)! 

SHOPPING TIME SLOTS (based on the the first letter of your last name, as follows):

9:30 am:  K-O

10 am: P-T

10:30am: U-Z 

11am: A-E

11:30am: F-J

12pm: Pre orders & fast pick ups.

For this coming Tuesday, We will have a NEW set up & GUIDELINES:
a) vendors' tables will be all around the entire  space available, 2 meter distance in between each table
b) entering only in groups of 15-20 people max at a time 
c) you must come in through the right doors and exit from the left doors, only,  to create a better order and to allow proper and smooth flow
d) if needed, we will mark safe distances on the floor, when waiting in line.

We suggest you:
a) contact the vendor(s) you would like to order from before arriving to market (over weekend or Monday), so your order is prepared and ready to go upon arrival, and your time at the market is lessened
b) if you don’t want to come in, make sure you have ordered ahead, and tell the person with the microphone to announce your order or call the vendor(s) to take it to you to your car
c) check attached vendors’ contact list to make arrangements

Be aware that only about 50-60% of our vendors are able to be present. You may not be able to get everything you’re used to (check attached list to make other arrangements with those not present).

Also, you may request your order be delivered at any of the 3 stores that have allowed to be pick up points for our Tuesday Farmers’ Market Vendors (Alkimia, Casa Cacau, Canadian Style Natural Foods) OR you can ask if vendor does home deliveries (see particularities on attached document).

Check out our website www.marketchapala.com (I made a mistake last week), our Facebook page (@LAKEChapalaFarmersMarket) and Instagram @lake_chapala_farmers_marlet) to stay connected with us. 

Although I have not been to the Tuesday market in years, as I recall the overwhelming majority of those present appeared to be well over 60. The US CDC strongly recommends that those over 60 try to avoid all shopping trips period. It seems odd that a market targeting health conscious individuals should encourage people to ignore that guidance.

b/t/w the reason I stopped going was because people were constantly trying to out jockey each other to get to items of choice. I can’t see them being good practitioners of social distancing.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I was at last weeks market and the rules worked quite well with just a few glitches. We rushed in, shopped quickly, NO lines, got most of what I wanted and was out in less than half the usual time. Glad the CDC finally got their poop together but no shopping sounds a bit extreme. The precautions being taken seem very safe to me.

hopefully the merchants can organize and deliver just like they do in Paris.. There people use their debit cars and the merchants leave the merchandise outside the door and it is left out for 3 hours before being desinfected and put away.. People after a whilefigure out a way to contnue doing business..in a safer way.

I was at the market last Tuesday, I know it was difficult and they were doing their best but I thought it was disorganized there was very little social distancing both outside and inside the building,  many didn’t understand they were supposed to wait in line and snuck in when The guy on the door turned his back.. Many did shop and leave while others stood around chatting..  In my estimation there less than half of the usual venders there.. I won’t go again until this virus issue has been resolved, it’s just not worth the risk..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, johanson said:

The Wednesday Ajijic Tianguis is closed. And presume the Chapala Tianguis is closed  as well.

The Monday market at Sunrise restaurant and the Tuesday market at La Huerta should be closed also but greed winns the day.  I agree, this was started in order to provide healthier choices, that is no longer the case. Encouraging people to go out when they have been asked to stay home is not thinking of anyone's health. Shame on them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Get a grip people. These are markets comprised of mostly small vendors who make a good portion of their living selling at these venues.  Feeding your family is not my definition of greed. The Tuesday market people are trying their best - since the national guidelines are allowing them to open - to provide a safe shopping experience. If you go to their Website, see above, you will find many of the vendors listed and some deliver. Most are not big enough to take credit cards. If you'd rather go to Walmart, that's your call. For me, the fresh fresh produce is worth the drive and the hassle.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Get a grip people. These are markets comprised of mostly small vendors who make a good portion of their living selling at these venues.  Feeding your family is not my definition of greed. The Tuesday market people are trying their best - since the national guidelines are allowing them to open - to provide a safe shopping experience. If you go to their Website, see above, you will find many of the vendors listed and some deliver. Most are not big enough to take credit cards. If you'd rather go to Walmart, that's your call. For me, the fresh fresh produce is worth the drive and the hassle.

Last week it was not the vendors that were the problem, it was the shoppers.. In the hour that I was there waiting in line and shopping many of the shoppers did not practice social distancing..there was very little distance between many of those waiting in line.. if you tried to leave 6 feet newcomers would butt in to the line.  a few would wait close to the door so as they started to let a few more in they would rush in before anyone could stop them... Some shoppers would not wait until you had completed your purchase, they would come and stand next to you waiting for you to finish..  I made one purchase and left.  

1 minute ago, TelsZ4 said:

Last week it was not the vendors that were the problem, it was the shoppers.. In the hour that I was there waiting in line and shopping many of the shoppers did not practice social distancing..there was very little distance between many of those waiting in line.. if you tried to leave 6 feet newcomers would butt in to the line.  a few would wait close to the door so as they started to let a few more in they would rush in before anyone could stop them... Some shoppers would not wait until you had completed your purchase, they would come and stand next to you waiting for you to finish..  I made one purchase and left.  

And that observation is the very reason to stay away

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmh said:

Like if the produce in all the other stores were not fresh if you know how to pick..I wonder how we managed all these years without fresh produce..

I have been going to Farmers Markets for 40+ years. And yes I can tell the difference. I am going to buy food somewhere, I'd rather it be from local growers than a warehouse where they spray the food to make it look fresh. To each his own. I don't know where the rest of you are buying food, but the food-fairies haven't shown up at my house yet.

25 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

I have been going to Farmers Markets for 40+ years. And yes I can tell the difference. I am going to buy food somewhere, I'd rather it be from local growers than a warehouse where they spray the food to make it look fresh. To each his own. I don't know where the rest of you are buying food, but the food-fairies haven't shown up at my house yet.

The food fairies have been to my house. Lakeside shopping service. Excellent.

12 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Forty years ago is ancient history in this regard. There was no pandemic, you were not asked to stay home and keep from spreading a deadly disease. Forty years ago the food was grown locally, many at the markets get their food from the Abastos not their backyards. The local small businesses have fresh, unsprayed produce, Walmart is not the only option. There are many small venues all over, Mexicans with no other source of income, struggling to survive. These are the people who need our support, not the expats looking to supplement the steady income they can count on.

WalMart is, fortunately, not the only option. When it comes to fruit and veg, they are deplorable. Our local store is the butt end of the supply chain for WalMart, and it certainly looks like they get only the leftovers. But the open-air markets have suffered greatly over the past years, with very little local produce, most of it coming in bulk from the Abastos and who knows where.

Soriana the other day had a major quality upgrade in their produce section. No idea if it is related to what's happening, but for the first time ever I was able to get a really good selection of stuff. Even their broccoli was on ice.