Chapala.com Webboard

DYI Facemasks

NLU

I considered the DYI option, but was persuaded otherwise, so I bought some face masks from the Operation Feed folks yesterday.  Very pleased with them.  The ladies making them are using colorful fabrics instead of boring white and they are quite comfortable.  50 pesos each, and it helps people who need the money.  If you make an extra donation, it helps even more.😉

• Thanks 1

She posted on Thursday they are no longer taking orders.  I too bought from them last week and happy with the product.  But DIY may be helpful for those who don't have any. 

DeborahM       Posted Thursday at 03:01 PM

Operation Feed is no longer taking orders for masks. They are concentrating now on sewing mass for the villagers in San Juan Cosala.

• Like 2

DIY is an option for those who can still thread the needle on the sewing machine. Old eyes and shaky hands make it very much more difficult for some. I gave two of mine to the young man who walks my dogs. His wife is now making them for family and friends in Chapala. And the beat goes on.

6 minutes ago, Ferret said:

DIY is an option for those who can still thread the needle on the sewing machine. Old eyes and shaky hands make it very much more difficult for some. I gave two of mine to the young man who walks my dogs. His wife is now making them for family and friends in Chapala. And the beat goes on.

See this one, NO-sew. https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/how-to-make-a-diy-no-sew-face-mask-with-fabric-and-hair-elastics/

Combined with social distancing and hand washing, they are fine for the purpose and better than nothing. The virus is large and any tightly woven cotton is comfortable, functional and washes well with soap and water.

Yes, thanks Bisbee Gal. I'm out of reactions already today. I have neither hair elastics nor squares of material or scarves and I'm not going out to find them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RickS said:

It is my understanding that cloth/cotton masks are not effective as are 'too porous'.

I wouldn't trust them in a hospital setting with a bunch of COVID patients around, but I figure any barrier is going to be better than none. And there are all kinds of cottons- some are more tightly woven than others.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:15 AM, RickS said:

It is my understanding that cloth/cotton masks are not effective as are 'too porous'.  

I doubt Lakeside has any/many HEPA vacuum bags but those can be cut up and used very effectively.

This creative cloth mask is not porous. I doubt you could even breath through it.

You guessed it. A friend posted it on his Facebook page. ☺

91767917_2511712952422733_3143223810728132608_n.jpg

• Haha 1