Chapala.com Webboard

A Dose of Reality

Hud

1 minute ago, virgo lady said:

Yes, you seem to be a master-baiter, Hud.   Enjoy "yourself"

Thanks, I am enjoying it. Have a wonderful afternoon ! :D

1 hour ago, Hud said:

An interesting statistic I found, for those who 'have not completely lost their minds by now: as of today (4-3-2020),  .01 % of the people in Texas have the virus, or are recovered. Another statistic worth noting: as of today, .0003 % of Texans have died. These are totals since January, when the Trump Adm stopped flights from China.The MSM will NOT show you those stats, because some of you might realize they have been trying to destroy the US with their scare tactics. Does this mean this virus is not serious. No, but it needs to be put into perspective with reality.

As of today,  Texas has 5,330 cases and 90 have died and 5,133 cases are still active. You might want to check your math. 90 deaths is 2% of known cases.

3 minutes ago, Ferret said:

As of today,  Texas has 5,330 cases and 90 have died and 5,133 cases are still active. You might want to check your math. 90 deaths is 2% of known cases.

What an animal you are !!!  Lets not go from apples to oranges. Lets stay with apples. 90 deaths is .0003% of the Texas population. You just wantta make it sound like more die than do. That get you off?

• Sad 2

Yes it is worse than the regular flu.  No it is not the black plague.  Yes the medical progress is extremely rapid.  U of Pittsburg announced they have a vaccine almost ready for testing.  Positive results are accumulating quickly about the hydroxychloroquine combo treatment.  Will this be as bad as H1N1?  Yes and then some but at the end of the day the big cost, which we unfortunately are going to witness, is the incredible economic damage done on millions of people who won't eat because they can't work.

We are already taking steps to keep our three Oaxaca girls in school because we know their artisan parents, who depend wholly on people coming to Mexico and buying their fine arts, aren't going to be able to.  Thanks to God and the U.S. for the amazing opportunities it gave us over our lifetimes we can.

If you are thinking now is a great time to own some very high end Alibrijes I can email you a catalogue with prices.  

Everyone needs to look around and see what can be done to help.

My parents lived through the Great Depression and WWII.  They shared a lot what that was like.  We have a ways to go before we get to that level.   Our Mexican neighbors, maybe not such a far way to go.  🤕

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Positive results are accumulating quickly about the hydroxychloroquine combo treatment.

Small Trial Finds Hydroxychloroquine Is Not Effective for Treating Coronavirus

A trial of an anti-malaria drug in France found different results from a similar study published the previous month.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/04/03/small-trial-finds-hydroxychloroquine-is-not-effective-for-treating-coronavirus/

• Like 2

^^^ Well that is discouraging news.  On another front though, UdeG has been researching Hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for Gruñon disease that usually runs alongside Moco Guajolote disease.  Both are common in expat communities with elevated infection rates among older white males.  We can only hope.

12 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Small Trial Finds Hydroxychloroquine Is Not Effective for Treating Coronavirus

A trial of an anti-malaria drug in France found different results from a similar study published the previous month.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/04/03/small-trial-finds-hydroxychloroquine-is-not-effective-for-treating-coronavirus/

Results not supported by the more general reports coming in of successful use on far larger numbers in New York, or by the other French studies (2) or by the Wuhan results.  I'm skeptical.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, bmh said:

My brother is on his fifth day of coma and he is on these drugs.the fever dropped yesterday but his lungs are not functioning  yet stil lon a respirator.. So far those drugs are no miracle..

I hate to hear this but not surprised.  Best of wishes to you and your brother.

4 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What I am reading is these drugs work best if administered early when symptoms first appear.   They cannot do anything about the big damage once it appear.  Thinking of your brother bmh and hoping for the best.

Hmmmm, most who get infected only have mild symptoms.  Some, no symptoms at all.

I do not know about the States but in France only the people in the hospital are treated with these drugs and people who are in the hospitals are the worst cases. There if you have the virus you do enter the hospital unless you have a very high temperature and difficulty breathing, the other people are told to stay home and take paracetamol

More Reality : 2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates

Other Languages

CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through March 28, 2020, there have been:

39,000,000 – 55,000,000
flu illnesses

person coughing icon

18,000,000 – 26,000,000
flu medical visits

doctor patient icon

400,000 – 730,000
flu hospitalizations

hospital room icon

24,000 – 63,000
flu deaths

flu virus icon

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

And to think, that many deaths after a large percentage of Americans went and got their recommended vaccinations.

A lot, isn't it, and the season is not over yet. Biggest problems are nonvaxxers and older people with other advanced conditions. Just think how many lives were spared because they did have the vaccination.

10 minutes ago, Hud said:

A lot, isn't it, and the season is not over yet. Biggest problems are nonvaxxers and older people with other advanced conditions. Just think how many lives were spared because they did have the vaccination.

They never tried to contain the seasonal flu where I worked. They all came to work. Coughed and wiped their runny noses. Took pain medicine when the fever gave them a strong headache and flu remedies and usualiy infected a dozen of us employees and then we in turn all came to work ,,, etc..

Are you insinuating that if we treat this Covid-19 outbreak like seasonal flu and don't take any precautions only about 16,000+, the CDC current statistic, will die and not maybe up to a million or more?

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

They never tried to contain the seasonal flu where I worked. They all came to work. Coughed and wiped their runny noses. Took pain medicine when the fever gave them a strong headache and flu remedies and usualiy infected a dozen of us employees and then we in turn all came to work ,,, etc..

Are you insinuating that if we treat this Covid-19 outbreak like seasonal flu and don't take any precautions only about 14,000+, the CDC current statistic, will die and not maybe up to a million or more?

Can't be treated the same as the flu because (1) there is not a vaccine, (2) doctors do not know what treatments yet will work to help, like they do with the flu, and (3) it spreads a lot more rapidly than the flu.  Seems to have the fact that more vulnerable(those with other health conditions) people are at high risk in common with the flu, but that may be a characteristic of all respiratory viruses. I hope you don't believe what you suggest here. Surely you are more intelligent than that, Alan? I will also say that if countries are able to keep the deaths totals less than with the flu, their leadership will have done an outstanding job handling this situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several Vaccines are in the works with the most advanced in either animal trials or small human tolerance trials. The only approved human trials involve various dosage levels to determine side effects of the vaccine..No humans are directly exposed to the Covid/19 virus in an attempt to determine effectiveness.

IMO, talking about a vaccine for Corvid-19 to be developed, tested, rolled out and administered to, what, maybe 150 million people is like talking about who is going to win the 2022 Super Bowl. 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:27 PM, Ferret said:

These stats to have any validity must be calculated against population not known cases. Population is known but total number if cases us an unknown. You must use a per capita infection and death rate or you are just manipulating numbers. 

• Like 1