Chapala.com Webboard

About wearing masks:

Austria has been distributing free face masks at grocery stores and pharmacies since Monday. Czech, Slovakia, Bosnia, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan mandate mask use in public.

Both C. D. C. and WHO are reviewing their previous recommendations and considering to reverse it. NY Times: "The C.D.C. is expected to advise all Americans to wear cloth masks in public."

Maybe start the reverse behavior training if someone like to touch the face.

I bought a bunch from Operation Feed for the gardner and his family. I'm certain pretty soon we will see more mask wearing people to protect yourselves and people around you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

DO NOT re-use. Dispose of in  container in a manner that no one could possibly touch anything that the mask could have touched. Then wash your hands again.

You can reuse a cloth mask. It should of course be removed in a safe way and put directly into a bag or pail which you don't touch until you are ready to sterilize the mask so it can be worn again. If thorough hand washing with soap kills the virus, it stands to reason that thoroughly washing a mask with soap and water achieves the same thing. A hot dryer or bleaching are other alternatives. And of course you need to wash your hands thoroughly after removing the mask. I made myself 3 cloth masks which I am rotating in this way.

I did find myself adjusting the mask from time to time while I was out, but I did this with my gloved hands, only touching the outside of the mask. The outside of the mask, and my gloved hands were already theoretically contaminated anyway. As another poster pointed out, that's why you have to remove all of it carefully when you get home or before getting into your car and sterilize everything you've bought that you intend to use right away. Things you don't need to use for awhile can simply be placed somewhere out of the way to sit for several days and don't need to be sterilized.

TelsZr...

I never said, or implied that I felt unsafe.  I think you are reading into my comments what you want.  My ONLY concern was for the  health and safety of the checkers and other employees who are working without minimal, recommended protection that a mask provides.   I was protected.  I was wearing a mask.  I know what I am facing when I go out and I know how to care for myself as best I can.  Every time I re-enter my car I thoroughly wipe my hands with a Clorox wipe.  When that dries I apply gel and rub that until it thoroughly dries.  

Thanks for the comments regarding Walmart's hours.  Went last night about 8 pm, mainly locals shopping.  We and others had gloves and masks on, the 2 meter social distancing seemed to be observed by everyone I came into contact with during my time inside the store.  

As I'm not a morning person, that wasn't an option which was why I asked how late they are open.  Some empty shelves but still a good bit of inventory as well.

Stay safe and healthy!

Val  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

TelsZr...

I never said, or implied that I felt unsafe.  I think you are reading into my comments what you want.  My ONLY concern was for the  health and safety of the checkers and other employees who are working without minimal, recommended protection that a mask provides.   I was protected.  I was wearing a mask.  I know what I am facing when I go out and I know how to care for myself as best I can.  Every time I re-enter my car I thoroughly wipe my hands with a Clorox wipe.  When that dries I apply gel and rub that until it thoroughly dries.  

How nice to hear someone is concerned about the health and safety of the Walmart workers..  It makes a change from the usual Walmart bashing we get here.

Did you take you’re concerns to the management. ?  What was their  response ?  Did they say if PPE’s were available to any employee that wish  to use them...?

"that WISH to use them"???? Walmart should be dictating how their employees protect themselves. Or is there such a large population to replace them that they just kick the sick ones out and replace them? What Walmart could teach their employees about their own safety passes down to their employees' families and friends. But, it seems it doesn't matter if they have customers or not. Let 'em die, there's more where they came from too.

And where's the donation jars to help all the senior baggers who were told to stay home.

8 hours ago, Lily H said:

Researchers at Cambridge concluded the pillowcase and the 100% cotton t-shirt are the best materials for DIY masks

The photo you posted doesn't show a pillowcase. What it shows is a pillow. Pillows, particularly down and feather ones, are covered in a fabric called ticking, which is a very tightly woven cotton especially designed so that feathers can't poke through. So what they are actually recommending are pillow coverings, not pillowcases, which come in all thread counts and the low thread counts would give very little protection as the fabric is very loosely woven. 

It's too bad and dangerous that information like "pillowcase" is put out without making things clear. 

I have been to Telmex 3 times in the last week regarding my ongoing Novela re-porting my phone service from ILox. All the service reps are wearing masks. I spent HOURS in front of them, tapping on their computers and talking on the phone to who knows who? They were constantly touching their faces and adjusting the masks. Many times a coworker would approach one and lower the mask close by to ask a question. I fail to see how a mask can be effective in this situation, and in fact maybe it would be counterproductive. Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I think even the least intelligent among us understood that the picture of a pillow was enough to invoke the concept of "pillow case".

You completely missed my point, or I didn't explain clearly. They didn't mean that a pillow case is appropriate material to use and shouldn't have said that. It isn't. Pillowcases are made of various fabrics and any one of those fabrics can vary wildly in how dense they are. There are cheapo pilowcases made of fabric that is loosely woven which would be totally useless as far as protecting you from the virus.

What they meant was the type of fabric that is used for the pillow itself. Which is called ticking and is very dense- the threads are woven really tightly together.

If I could show you a sample of the ticking versus a regular pillowcase, you would understand immediately what I'm saying. 

37 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I have been to Telmex 3 times in the last week regarding my ongoing Novela re-porting my phone service from ILox. All the service reps are wearing masks. I spent HOURS in front of them, tapping on their computers and talking on the phone to who knows who? They were constantly touching their faces and adjusting the masks. Many times a coworker would approach one and lower the mask close by to ask a question. I fail to see how a mask can be effective in this situation, and in fact maybe it would be counterproductive. Just my opinion.

I think many need a course on how to use a mask effectively. They probably are useful if used properly.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, Floradude said:

I was in Walmart shopping today.  Wearing my mask and following all the procedures.  Many of the other customers also wore masks.  Then, I got up to the check stands.  As far as I could see all of the Walmart cashiers were working without masks. Shame on Walmart.  Why is the most profitable and largest corporation in Mexico (I think) not providing free masks for all of their employees while they are working anywhere in the store????

SHAME ON YOU WALMART

Walmart has killed so many mom and pop stores in the area, why are you going there?

You don't like having low-paid employees without masks or gloves touching money from a few hundred people and then grabbing your purchase and scanning it?

You reap what you sow. Why have you been supporting Walmart for years and just now discover that they are irresponsible and dangerous? They've made their money and now that they've put so many smaller businesses out of business you have little choice. So you've just got to live with it or ,make the choose not go to Walmart and find what you need in the few places that are left. Help them by shopping there and make them stronger. You might even get to know the owner as he/she rings up your purchase and talks about the child who is in University.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

You completely missed my point, or I didn't explain clearly. They didn't mean that a pillow case is appropriate material to use and shouldn't have said that. It isn't. Pillowcases are made of various fabrics and any one of those fabrics can vary wildly in how dense they are. There are cheapo pilowcases made of fabric that is loosely woven which would be totally useless as far as protecting you from the virus.

What they meant was the type of fabric that is used for the pillow itself. Which is called ticking and is very dense- the threads are woven really tightly together.

If I could show you a sample of the ticking versus a regular pillowcase, you would understand immediately what I'm saying. 

I get your point, and I know from ticking. BUT I think you are over-thinking it. That chart could have gotten so intense with details that no one would have looked at it. I don't have the report, but I would suggest they were a lot more scientific with the research. One overarching point that many may have overlooked, coming as it does right at the end of that thing: "These materials filter out approximately 50% of 0.2 micron particles, similar in size to the coronavirus."

32 minutes ago, tomwins said:

Walmart has killed so many mom and pop stores in the area, why are you going there?

You don't like having low-paid employees without masks or gloves touching money from a few hundred people and then grabbing your purchase and scanning it?

You reap what you sow. Why have you been supporting Walmart for years and just now discover that they are irresponsible and dangerous? They've made their money and now that they've put so many smaller businesses out of business you have little choice. So you've just got to live with it or ,make the choose not go to Walmart and find what you need in the few places that are left. Help them by shopping there and make them stronger. You might even get to know the owner as he/she rings up your purchase and talks about the child who is in University.

I have to raise an eyebrow every time someone mentions how WalMart has killed the little guy. The truth is, every giant corporation has killed the little guy, and it's always been from a small start, back when you would have applauded their fortitude and ingenuity. And I can't even say "that's the future" of business, because it's been the future of business worldwide for decades and decades. Yearning for the days of Pop's Soda Shoppe is like wishing we could have kept horses and carriages instead of getting automobiles. I still regret the tire industry stealing the food out of the mouths of the guy in the B.C. comics who crafted the first wheel out of stone.

Whether you agree with their tactics or not is another story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2