Chapala.com Webboard

I was in Walmart shopping today.  Wearing my mask and following all the procedures.  Many of the other customers also wore masks.  Then, I got up to the check stands.  As far as I could see all of the Walmart cashiers were working without masks. Shame on Walmart.  Why is the most profitable and largest corporation in Mexico (I think) not providing free masks for all of their employees while they are working anywhere in the store????

SHAME ON YOU WALMART

Many doctors as well as the  World Health Organization have said if you are not sick that wearing a mask can actually can raise your chance of catching the virus. Most people do not know how to put the mask on, take the mask off, and properly dispose of the mask. Also they tend to touch the mask & their face more thus enhancing the possibility of transfer from their hands to their eyes, nose, or mouth. .  

There are mixed opinions, but maybe Walmart is following the  directions of the  World Health Organization. 

• Like 3

Remember when you were a kid and your mom wanted you to wear a hat but you didn’t want to because you would look stupid or it would mess your hair.  Even worse if she wanted you to wear a helmet and kneepads. This is the same kind of thing, a lot of their employees are kids and maybe sometimes it’s a case of the second your mom’s not looking, the gloves are off.  

21 minutes ago, Lily H said:

To suggest masks do not work was a lie from the beginning. Some of us adults know once we put them on, we do not touch them.

"Some of us adults"     True..... Unfortunately most people do touch their face and adjust the mask. 

I doubt you could substantiate that the World Health Organization lied from the beginning regarding the use of masks. Maybe you have inside information??  You have the right to your opinion, but many experts would differ with you. 

For information  If you wish to use masks ....Before putting mask on  Wash your hands.  Wash your face.  Adjust metal strip ( if there is one) to hold tightly to the nose. After putting the mask on wash your hands again.

When removing the mask it is to be removed so that it touches nothing else. DO NOT re-use. Dispose of in  container in a manner that no one could possibly touch anything that the mask could have touched. Then wash your hands again.

I would bet 99% of non professional mask users do not follow the needed precautions. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Floradude said:

I was in Walmart shopping today.  Wearing my mask and following all the procedures.  Many of the other customers also wore masks.  Then, I got up to the check stands.  As far as I could see all of the Walmart cashiers were working without masks. Shame on Walmart.  Why is the most profitable and largest corporation in Mexico (I think) not providing free masks for all of their employees while they are working anywhere in the store????

SHAME ON YOU WALMART

If you were so concerned about them not wearing masks why didn’t you walk out..?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Many doctors as well as the  World Health Organization have said if you are not sick that wearing a mask can actually can raise your chance of catching the virus. Most people do not know how to put the mask on, take the mask off, and properly dispose of the mask. Also they tend to touch the mask & their face more thus enhancing the possibility of transfer from their hands to their eyes, nose, or mouth. .  

There are mixed opinions, but maybe Walmart is following the  directions of the  World Health Organization.

But the CDC now does recommend them. Because if everyone is wearing one, then it's safer. Confusion reigns. I was against them at first, because all I read told me that you are only protecting others when you wear a mask, and if you are not sick, then there is not point. However, I can see the flaw in the logic. Suppose you are carrying and don't know it? I have also found that not only do I touch my face less, people stay farther away from me (at least most people do). Now, if everyone has a mask, no one has to worry about it. I saw a woman in SuperLake yesterday with no mask, on older gringa, sneeze right into a vegetable cooler. Now, do I really want to get any veg from that cooler again? Imagine how many people are doing this.

The biggest tell here is a video from the Czech Republic, where everyone was forced to wear masks from the get-go. They only just recorded their first death a week ago.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lily H said:

To suggest masks do not work was a lie from the beginning. Some of us adults know once we put them on, we do not touch them.

No proper official suggested that. They said masks don't keep you from breathing others in; they prevent you from breathing yours out.

9 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

But the CDC now does recommend them. Because if everyone is wearing one, then it's safer. Confusion reigns. I was against them at first, because all I read told me that you are only protecting others when you wear a mask, and if you are not sick, then there is not point. However, I can see the flaw in the logic. Suppose you are carrying and don't know it? I have also found that not only do I touch my face less, people stay farther away from me (at least most people do). Now, if everyone has a mask, no one has to worry about it. I saw a woman in SuperLake yesterday with no mask, on older gringa, sneeze right into a vegetable cooler. Now, do I really want to get any veg from that cooler again? Imagine how many people are doing this.

The biggest tell here is a video from the Czech Republic, where everyone was forced to wear masks from the get-go. They only just recorded their first death a week ago.

My sentiments and experience exactly.  

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

No proper official suggested that. They said masks don't keep you from breathing others in; they prevent you from breathing yours out.

11 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

And I saw a lady in Walmart with a mask & gloves. She adjusted her mask, then touched a couple of papayas before choosing one. The possibility that she transferred the corona virus from her mask to her glove to the fruit is equally frighting. Mask or no mask....That is why you wash your hands then the fruit, then your hands again after returning home.  

Again there are 2 schools of thought among experts.  

As to the Czech Republic (actual name Czechia)  the population is 10.5 million  as of today is over 3,805 cases and 44 deaths so they are growing in cases & deaths very quickly. 

The population of Angola (where they are not wearing masks) is 13 million. There are 8 confirmed cases and 2 deaths....

So citing Czechia does not prove that masks work  There are way too many factors that need to be considered

• Like 1

Assuming for the sake of argument, masks don’t work, if they make you feel more protected and secure than isn’t that a benefit?  A placebo effect if you will.  I think the best approach is to do what you feel is right for yourself and try not to concern yourself too much with what others are doing.  “Consider how hard it is to change yourself, and you’ll understand how hard it is to change others”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

I like wearing a mask when shopping at Walmart because it makes it easier to leave without paying. But jokes apart I do wear a mask when I go out and if anything people tend to keep there distance from me.

Lol, good one HB.  Sometimes laughter is the best medicine. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dostortas said:

Lol, good one HB.  Sometimes laughter is the best medicine. 

Yes a laugh is the best in these times. If you believe drinking mineral water will help  Do it.  If you believe Santa Muerte will help visit the shrine. 

But I just read the real prevention has been around for years it is called cerveza Corona! If you drink enough you won't be able to leave home so you are safe.

I've held off as long as possible and need to go to Walmart to stock up on some staples.  Does anyone know what time they are closing now?  I'd like to try and avoid the larger crowds and go near closing time.

Thanks, hoping you're all staying safe and healthy,

Val  :)

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

There you go, being a bully again.

If I felt it was unsafe I would leave.. I wouldn’t stay in a situation that I felt was unsafe. I put my health over low prices.  So as the poster didn’t say they left Walmart one must assume they didn’t feel the situation was that much of an issue and just wanted to bash Walmart...

• Like 1

There is plenty to read on the WHY of wearing face masks including the main reason why the WHO suggested not to... that being that PROFESSIONAL MASKS ARE FOR FRONT LINE CARE GIVERS.

Wear a mask, keep your distance and wash your hands and social isolate AT HOME in between. I have tremendous respect for virus' and bacteria but not a lot of respect for those who endanger others. YMMV.

23 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

If I felt it was unsafe I would leave.. I wouldn’t stay in a situation that I felt was unsafe. I put my health over low prices.  So as the poster didn’t say they left Walmart one must assume they didn’t feel the situation was that much of an issue and just wanted to bash Walmart...

I don't disagree, but to each his own, right?

1 hour ago, daisy2013 said:

Best to go early in the morning

No. That's when all the expats go. That's what we do. Line up at INM at 9, knowing they don't open until 10 and never actually arrive until 10:30. It's bred into us. We're still taught it: hit the airport 3 hours early for an international flight. Sure, same time everyone else gets there and it means standing in line for an hour and a half. Or, arrive 90 minutes ahead of the flight and sail through.

I went early last week, 9:30. Never again.