Chapala.com Webboard

US Suspends Passport Services

RickS

USA Today et al

"In an effort to the slow the spread of coronavirus, the U.S. Department of State has temporarily halted its passport services with the exception of travelers who have a “qualified life-or-death emergency.”

The reduced services went into effect March 20 after the department raised a global travel advisory warning Americans not to leave the country.

Citizens who qualify for a passport must have a family emergency that requires them to travel outside the country within 72 hours. Qualified emergencies include serious illnesses or deaths of immediate family members such as a parent, child, spouse or sibling, aunt or uncle.

These travelers will be required to provide proof of the emergency which can be a death certificate or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. They will also be asked to show proof of international travel such as an airline ticket.

The Department of State did not say when it would resume normal passport services."

Try to wrap your head around this. Until there is an effective Covid-19 vaccine produced and given to you and everyone you come in contact with you will never be safe. Why? Because there are tons of asymptomatic carriers of Covid-19 walking among us who could infect everyone they come in contact with without even knowing they have the virus.

(Copied from another Ex-pat Board).

One piece of good news is that yesterday the Doctor running the San Antonio Hospital mentioned to me during my quarterly visit that there were no recorded cases of the corona virus lakeside.

And also, even in the states where there are 236,339 recorded cases, that is less than 1/10 of one percent pf the population of the US which has a population of approximately 330,000,000 persons. 

Have I delayed my late spring trip to the greater Seattle-Kirkland area? You're darn right I have,

• Haha 1

What I thought the Doc said about testing was that they would draw blood or take a swab from ones tong and send that sample to Guadalajara and that results would be available about 24 hours later.  Again, I think this is what he said. I could be wrong/

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Is there anyone being tested Lakeside? Where?

I would kinda doubt it, what with all the requirements you must meet, plus the blood work and chest x-rays you must first take to your doctor. I think if you are very old and have severe symptoms, the doctors might certify you for testing. Of course, some doctors here seem to like money, so maybe arrangements could be made.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, johanson said:

One piece of good news is that yesterday the Doctor running the San Antonio Hospital mentioned to me during my quarterly visit that there were no recorded cases of the corona virus lakeside.

And also, even in the states where there are 236,339 recorded cases, that is less than 1/10 of one percent pf the population of the US which has a population of approximately 330,000,000 persons. 

Have I delayed my late spring trip to the greater Seattle-Kirkland area? You're darn right I have,

WOW!!! Has there been a 10x US population explosion in the 12 years I have been here? There has been some "busy" folks El Norte!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, bournemouth said:
Demography of the United States
The United States is the third most populous country in the world, with an estimated population of 330,149,796 as of December 16, 2019. The United States Census Bureau shows a population increase of 0.75% for the twelve-month period ending in July 2012.Wikipedia

I stand corrected....Maybe those folks SHOULD "get busy".