Chapala.com Webboard

Huge Developement?

What about water at all?  Chapala is running short of water and needs at least one new well, maybe more.  My friend across the street from Soriana only gets water for a couple of hours every other day and this is the START of the dry season.

They need a moratorium on any new construction until the infrastructure is vastly improved.  Water and sewer especially.  Roads are a mess, but water and sewers are health issues.  There was a 4 foot geyser of sewer water spewing on Colon/Morelos at 16 de Septiembre/Independencia the other day.  

• Like 2

There has been a leak in the sewage at the bottom of Colon/Morelos for years.  It's never been repaired because the govt. doesn't care.  They may have tried to repair it but have never been successful.  Perhaps they used the wrong plumbers.  Many here think the more resilient to repair the problem, the more silicone you use.

21 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

There has been a leak in the sewage at the bottom of Colon/Morelos for years.  It's never been repaired because the govt. doesn't care.  They may have tried to repair it but have never been successful.  Perhaps they used the wrong plumbers.  Many here think the more resilient to repair the problem, the more silicone you use.

Not referring to the usual seepage and stink at the bottom (Old Posada). This was a block north and never ever seen a geyser like this anywhere in town and I walk daily.  

13 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

The pipes that keep breaking are clay,50+ years old. where they have been replaced recently with PVC the problem has been alleviated. To do all the systems[including water] in all the towns and villages in the Muni of Chapala is a huge and costly undertaking and unfortunately the $'s aren't there instantly just like anywhere else in the world.

9 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

The pipes that keep breaking are clay,50+ years old. where they have been replaced recently with PVC the problem has been alleviated. To do all the systems[including water] in all the towns and villages in the Muni of Chapala is a huge and costly undertaking and unfortunately the $'s aren't there instantly just like anywhere else in the world.

Which is the priority for State and Federal money....Bike Lane or Infrastructure Sewer...I guess the bike path was the choice

wasn't this whole area identified as a serious fault area unsuitable for development.

In Ajijic there was a mini development in an area of high fault incidence by a well known realtor and developer husband. When I asked about what provisions they had made for the faults in the immediate area, they said ask the architect. Doing so she said, "what faults."  After 5 years one of six units have sold.

45 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Which is the priority for State and Federal money....Bike Lane or Infrastructure Sewer...I guess the bike path was the choice

New water and sewer lines were laid too. Our muni is subject to the whims  of the feds and state who dole out the $'s and  loans the muni needs to do, because income from local taxes ,bus. licenses,etc. is not enough

How many of you remember the intro to "The Beverly Hillbillies"? Old Jed Clampet shoots his shotgun 'and up from ground comes some bubbling crude - black gold. - Texas tea" Same scenario today, but it won't be oil, and no one is going to be a millionaire. Other than the build, sell, and run developers. The world changed when it was taken over by salespeople and lawyers.

• Like 1

Just now, happyjillin said:

New water and sewer lines were laid too. Our muni is subject to the whims  of the feds and state who dole out the $'s and  loans the muni needs to do, because income from local taxes ,bus. licenses,etc. is not enough

I think  most of us appreciate that the local authorities  do not collect sufficient monies to address these huge capital expenditures...

However did you know that when a poll of homeowners in  certain sections of Riberbas were asked "are you willing to pay X pesos for connecting to a main sewer", the majority said NO....that is one reason (I suggest) that if the local authorities can not find support, they look else where to carry out improvements....

For for the nickel and dimes we pay for City Taxes you can only expect Peanuts..that is after the Municipality has taken their cut ......

Sadly this pandemic will economically  hit Mexico the hardest...For what ever reason It has never has been able to have a satisfactory system of Tax collection....so just maybe those people who have been self employed, they have been able to save money for a rainy day, I hope so because the any stimulus package from the Federal Government can and will be basis on what its past record has been for Tax collection in prior times

There was no poll. There was a guy walking around telling people he had plans to do it. There has been someone coming up with that every five years or so since I've lived here. There were two times I distincly recall: when I lived across from where you are now, and a few years back in the place I'm in now.

Just now, Ferret said:

Ah, so nothing official. Well, if some yahoo came to my door looking for money to put in a sewer, I'd tell him where to go. That's a scam not a poll.

So is that a good reason to let grey and black water go on to the streets....

CG like you many of us living in Riberas have heard and seen that a sewer project is being considered and I believe seen the guys on the street doing a survey.

I would suggest that my first post has merit and the scenario   was like..OK what if we can obtain federal monies , it is a normal practice for the home owners to pay a connection fee..so how many are will to pay

Respectfully I would suggest that if there were a 100% guarantee plan (not a scam) the majority would still balk at paying a connection charges. My qualification to that option would be that over the past 5 years there has been considerable new homes and maybe just maybe those newcomers would tip the balance in favor to pay...but a "significant" number will not, even thou a time payment plan was also proposed.

• Sad 1

No, of course not, but unless you are willing to spearhead such a move and be ready to suffer the slings and arrows, then you can't be saying things like that.

A sewer project is always being considered. Half the reason it won't float is the non-resident Tapatios (Villa Nova and Ch. Haciendas, to name at least two I know about for sure, have all kinds of morosos who own land but refuse to pay fees for anything because they aren't full-timers) who won't pay. Another half is, yes, people who just don't want to pay anyway. But another 100% reason is it would mean ripping up the streets for years, blocking you out of your garage, screwing up every essential service for days or weeks on end.

Just ask people in Ajijic who woke up one day years ago to find their streets dug up, or came home from work to discover they couldn't get into their own garage for the next two years.

And a 200% reason: no way Chapala is ever going to invest that kind of money in what they consider to be the ### of the municipality. There, that's about 400% of my reasoning.

The usual practice NOB with places like Riberas is to form a sewer district and add the cost onto the property tax bill prorated over a significant number of years.  Once it is determined for public health reasons such a step is needed, it isn't voluntary.  Riberas certainly has a need based on public health.  Since the fracc no longer exists there the only way this is going to happen is if it is imposed from above.

Unfortunately I don't think there is such a mechanism here.  Of course the Chapala government could be proactive for a change and go to the Governor and ask for something like this to be adopted in law.  I won't hold my breath on that one.  Anyone who knows the Governor might want to explain this situation to him and put this suggestion to him.  He is being proactive on the environment.

Years ago, like 13 or 14, there were meetings of folks in Riberas about the sewer.  When they heard the price for each property, many backed away fast.  You see how the burned out lights get replaced in the neighborhoods and how crappy many of the dirt and cobbled roads are and the flooding in the summer; Chapala doesn't care about Riberas and hasn't for a good while.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Years ago, like 13 or 14, there were meetings of folks in Riberas about the sewer.  When they heard the price for each property, many backed away fast.  You see how the burned out lights get replaced in the neighborhoods and how crappy many of the dirt and cobbled roads are and the flooding in the summer; Chapala doesn't care about Riberas and hasn't for a good while.

Thank you Yo1..do you recall the # mentioned, I recall 3500 to 4500 peso, or not.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:50 PM, Yo1 said:

What about water at all?  Chapala is running short of water and needs at least one new well, maybe more.  My friend across the street from Soriana only gets water for a couple of hours every other day and this is the START of the dry season.

Unless my old brain is getting clogged with dementia, I think we are approaching the END of the dry season. At least for the last 12 years here in SAT, I have observed that the RAINY SEASON usually starts in conjunction with the 10 day Fiesta here in mid June or so. Anyway, maybe this worldwide disaster will slow or put an end, at least for now, to this envelopment craze here. It already started before this crisis...how long has it been since you saw workers at the half finished condo/retail project just East of Walmart and next to the Coco-Cola plant? Was that the canary in the coal mine?

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Unless my old brain is getting clogged with dementia, I think we are approaching the END of the dry season. At least for the last 12 years here in SAT, I have observed that the RAINY SEASON usually starts in conjunction with the 10 day Fiesta here in mid June or so. Anyway, maybe this worldwide disaster will slow or put an end, at least for now, to this envelopment craze here. It already started before this crisis...how long has it been since you saw workers at the half finished condo/retail project just East of Walmart and next to the Coco-Cola plant? Was that the canary in the coal mine?

They were still working today in Lourdes.

34 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

They were still working today in Lourdes.

How far has it gone and how long to be finished? By the way spellcheck got me again in my post...of course "this envelopment craze here" should have been "this development craze here". Oh well, it is getting late and maybe the the vino tinto is kicking in. PLEASE do not close down Paz, maybe our last, best hope here in these troubled times!