Chapala.com Webboard

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Ellie

I live in the village - la Floresta trucks as well as police going by just now with flashing lights making an announcement which I couldn't understand.

Confirmed by Hector - per the government, we are now entering Phase 3 and no one to leave their house until April 19th.  More info as available.

Got this by email tonight from the embassy in Mexico.....

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (March 30, 2020)

Event:  Mexico COVID-19 Update (March 30, 2020)

As of March 30, the Mexican Ministry of Health confirmed 1,094 cases of COVID-19 within its borders. 

The Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19 on March 19.  U.S. citizens who normally reside in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.

Commercial carriers have significantly reduced the number of flights between Mexico and the United States.  If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.

The government of Mexico has implemented nationwide measures to limit the spread of COVID-19.  On March 26, the Mexican government suspended all but essential activities.  Schools and universities are closed until April 19.  Gatherings larger than 100 people have been banned.  High-risk persons, including the elderly and those with relevant medical conditions, are directed to avoid workplaces, public spaces, or any other location with crowds.  Public sector, private sector, and social activities and events involving physical gathering, transit, or trips are suspended unless essential to address the crisis.

Closings and restrictions on public gatherings, transportation, business operations, and government operations may vary by state and municipality.  Authorities in the state of Nuevo Leon, for example, are conducting mandatory health screening of travelers arriving from the United States.  At the moment, this affects primarily passenger buses, but could be expanded to other modes of transport.  Travelers should expect significant delays and face the possibility of being forced to return to the United States or being kept in quarantine in Mexico  

Mexican Immigration (INM) continues to provide law enforcement and public counter services across Mexico.  However, due to reduced staffing, members of the public might experience long wait times for routine services.  INM recommends monitoring their website and twitter account for information about their current operating status.  U.S. citizens in Mexico with specific questions about their immigration status should contact local immigration authorities for information.

Effective March 18, 2020, the U.S. Embassy, nine Consulates General, and nine Consular Agencies in Mexico have suspended routine consular services.  For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.

On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice

Visit the local government COVID-19 website with advice for the general public for updated information.

Actions to Take: 

Assistance:

• For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
  • The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at:

Paseo de la Reforma 305

Colonia Cuauhtémoc

06500, Ciudad de México

Phone: +52-55-5080-2000

Fax: +52-55-5080-2005

E-Mail: ACSMexicoCity@state.gov

Just maybe before you post a statement like this  which suggests mandatory confinement ....you may want to read the actual translation of the Governor speech in the post just below yours . His statements seems to extend the 5 - 10  day policy we are in the middle of until  April 19 th.. Perhaps I misunderstood your post ,...if not remember loose lips sink ships.......

It is not mandatory in the sense someone is going to arrest you or beat you over the head if you go out.  It is a call to pull together and do the one thing that can stop this thing in its tracks.  If you must go out, carry wipes with you, wipe any thing you touch, wear a mask and stay 2 meters away from everyone else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Just maybe before you post a statement like this  which suggests mandatory confinement ....you may want to read the actual translation of the Governor speech in the post just below yours . His statements seems to extend the 5 - 10  day policy we are in the middle of until  April 19 th.. Perhaps I misunderstood your post ,...if not remember loose lips sink ships.......

I received this same message from our Us Consulate last night, so its not some fantasy of El Menudo. Its telling us that if we want to return to the USA we have to do it now. I find it to be a chilling message and I wouldn't know where to go in the USA, my home is Ajijic and I feel I will be safer here than anywhere else....

• Like 1

Well according to today's Informador newspaper , the  Jalisco government is asking that a minimum of 6 out of 10 people stay home until April 19th (just a little over half the population). In Chapala in my working class neighborhood I watched pretty much everyone go to work....😞 

2 hours ago, cafemediterraneo said:

I received this same message from our Us Consulate last night, so its not some fantasy of El Menudo. Its telling us that if we want to return to the USA we have to do it now. I find it to be a chilling message and I wouldn't know where to go in the USA, my home is Ajijic and I feel I will be safer here than anywhere else....

The level 4 advisory was issued almost 2 weeks ago. ( old news) It logically stated that if you want to return to the USA you should do it soon or you could have difficulty doing so. With fewer flights and fewer buses it would only be logical that as time goes on it will be more difficult to do so. 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

The level 4 advisory was issued almost 2 weeks ago. ( old news) It logically stated that if you want to return to the USA you should do it soon or you could have difficulty doing so. With fewer flights and fewer buses it would only be logical that as time goes on it will be more difficult to do so. 

It may be old news but the US Consulate didn’t sent me the email until last night.  How did you hear of it two weeks ago?

6 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

It may be old news but the US Consulate didn’t sent me the email until last night.  How did you hear of it two weeks ago?

We got the same email yesterday as well.  And the one on March 25.  That one had the Level 4 advisory.

The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who normally reside in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.

The previous email from them was March 21 and wrote about the joint U.S. and Mexican actions.

Just now, El Menudo said:

On the news in hundreds of places on March 19th and 20th. .

Also not the first time consulate sent this.   March 25 message "The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who normally reside in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period."

3 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Well according to today's Informador newspaper , the  Jalisco government is asking that a minimum of 6 out of 10 people stay home until April 19th (just a little over half the population). In Chapala in my working class neighborhood I watched pretty much everyone go to work....😞 

Sorry.... I was going to stay away from this, but I feel an obligation to elaborate just a little.  There were actually TWO stories in Informador yesterday.  Both originate from the Health Situation room and both come via the Rector of the Univ. of Guad. In one it does agree,,,,Jalisco government is asking that a minimum of 6 out of 10 people stay home until April 19th.

BUT.... and this is important so all clearly understand the entire report (see:  "U de G  alerta necesidad atacar aislamiento ante pandemia" in teh Jalisco section  if you want to confirm the following loose translation, avoiding some unnecessary words) which goes into a lot better detail and compliance options/results:

U of G in today's update said Jalisco people must remain at home to avoid spreading CoV  which would lead to the collapse of the hospital system.

Up to April 19 they believe the following, based on estimates from the present existing cases. If 40% of people stay home they think there will be 1,514 to 1,718 new cases;  if 80% stay home they think there will be 14  (yes---- FOURTEEN--- my emphasis) new cases diagnosed. But if nobody stays home they estimate 46,470 to 59,046 new cases !!!

The rector of U of G explained that they had found in the first days after people were asked to stay home, around 80% complied, but in later days only 40% continued to comply. He estimated that between Mar 23 - 25 up to 80% complied, but from then to Mar 29 only 40% did. He emphasized "we cannot let our guard down"  because we will put the capacity of the entire hospital system at risk.

He confirmed that although not everyone stayed home, in Jalisco the measures taken have been effective. While the entire country had an increase of 389% of diagnosed cases, Jalisco had only 189%.  Detailed data shows that on 20 March, Mexico registered 203 cases and by 29 March there were 993 cases, but in Jalisco on March 20 there were 28 confirmed cases and on Mar 29 there were 83 cases.

In the other  story he said that if at least 60% MINIMUM stay home, we could have up to 185 new cases, but if people don't comply it goes to the  46-59 thousand mentioned above.

Please note also:  Guad news on TV this a.m.  (and Informador has something too) said it is understood lots of people cannot afford to stay home. They recommended  carry hand sanitizer and use often on public transport. On arrival at home, change shoes and clothing before entering the house. Do not gather in any way other than to go to and from work.

So yes, there will be Mexicans who will go to work. And yes, sadly some don't/can't read, pay attention to TV news, or even FB posts on which a lot of Mexicans rely. But if ENOUGH get the word, and if ALL foreigners  comply, we may have the chance to stop this steamroller in its tracks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, Guiness said:

Yep...and right now our Mexican neighbors are enjoying hosting a big family gathering, pool party, music, etc. They just don't get it or they just live for the moment and simply just don't care.

Arghhhhh, holding my breath

It's a shame that it's going to take their abuelas and abuelos dropping like flies before they "get it". My water delivery guys laughed when i told them to just leave the garafons on the porch, rather than carry them inside as they usually do, and I put their money down on the porch as well, saying I was not getting close to people because of the virus. And these guys are delivering garafons to people's homes without masks or gloves, pulling them out of the truck with non-sterilized hands.

• Like 1

I am glad they understand but many do not.  Most of the local vegetable markets I shop at no one is wearing gloves or masks and the local shoppers all crowd in together .

AlanMexicali, I am very happy your family is being safe.

6 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

What an understatement. All my wife's Mexican family and friends and our neighbors understand very well.

Your family is perhaps better educated than many. While we are online every day informing ourselves as to the latest information, many Mexicans are actually illiterate, especially some of the older generation. Not stupid, just illiterate- they actually can't read all the stuff we are reading. The locals where I live are carrying on as if it's just business as usual  Food handlers not wearing gloves or masks, coughing and sneezing and spitting in public, congregating in groups and throwing parties. Yes, they need to be educated, gently and kindly,  before they find their loved ones carted off in body bags.

Alan, this is no time to be defending Mexicans, as if we are being racist or something. While you may be seeing your Mexican family and friends being as aware as you are, many of us are seeing the opposite. What's important right now is that as many people as possible understand the gravity of the situation.

• Like 1