Chapala.com Webboard

Somebody really hates Ajijic

Cicero

Almost everything in this article is wrong and/or out-of-context. You'd think nothing ever happened up north in terms of crime or health issues; meanwhile, this article focuses on isolated incidents and assumption. I see Cicero is a one-time poster, so I'm guessing he wrote the damn thing and is now trying to claim his fame. Begone, troll.

I'd say he pretty much nailed it. And it won't get better. I'm not one who's head is in the sand and can't stand the truth. Mexico has some good things and some bad things. It's foolish to think everything in Mexico is wonderful. But, I'm staying for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Most should not  bother reading this; only a waste of your time.

I can't agree that EVERYTHING said is not true and/or out of context.

No place on this planet is perfect.

I have been here over 15-years. My experiences have been 90% positive. Get ripped off by cops? Not as much now as before. Traffic? Right on. Changing of the landscape from Mexican or maybe Mexican/Gringo mix? Absolutely. Gringo Tax? Of course. 

Crime? I guess I've been pretty lucky. Only major thing that happened was my car computer was stolen. left Vista del Lago/Country Club to a small house in Chapala. I don't care for HOAs but usually they are well meaning people. 

I find your average Mexican worker, honest, helpful, friendly and really great. Been ripped off by Walmart more than any Mexican(s) and one non-Mexican (my own stupidity)..

Cost of living? Maybe half of big cities NOB. Big plus.

Being who/what I am, my biggest "complaint" is the lack of legal help and accountability  of individuals/companies. Truly buyer beware. Like the American Wild West.

I just wonder why the guy put the site up? His identity is hidden by WHOIS.

I much prefer Chapala to Ajijic. More Mexicans in Chapala. 

Bottom line: I came down here for fun and bought a house on day three. Never regretted it for one millisecond. 

To some of you I say, "Sorry, but I'm staying here until I die."

• Like 2

Some good, some a bit overblown IMO.  Problems here being compounded by poor local government.  State government however IMO is much improved.  We'll see how things go when this road and bike path work is done.  That needs to be followed up with maintenance and better management of traffic signals. 

I was in a fender bender last week in Riberas.  Cops came, very efficient and supportive, then turned it over to the transitos.  At no time was there a shakedown or hint of one.  They were very thorough in checking for any injuries and once the insurance agents were called they patiently waited through the process.  

There's a lot about crime in GDL that isn't much related to us.  We have always had to be very proactive in our own security and that hasn't changed.  But there's a much greater police presence in the area now for what that is worth.  And they seem more attentive and courteous.  I don't feel any less secure here than I did 12 years ago.

I see our biggest issues as water, sewer, traffic and street maintenance.  Unfortunately, that is the purview of the local government and it is hard to feel very optimistic about the future of those items in those hands.  They have always been quite willing to approve any and all development with, ahem, the right "motivation" and that seems unchanged.  In an environment where a bunch of people want to throw up all manner of stuff that is a problem for this area.  To me that is the biggest negative going forward.

• Like 3

Everybody  has a different view. Much is accurate. When I drive from Jocotepec to Chapala I see construction on both sides of the hwy. I wonder in a few years how are people going to drive. I guess more like LA in high traffic. 

One thing that bothers me when people mention the 78 year old gentleman murdered why does it matter where he is from. 

• Like 3

You know, this is happening not just here but in a whole lot of places around the world as the retired population explodes, many have money and they are moving from the less desirable places to the more desirable ones, either for reasons of climate, geography or whatever.  Unfortunately this migration is killing exactly what made people want to move there in the first place.  

• Like 3

What the writer says is mostly true but he neglected to talk about all  the great things about Ajijic.  I have traveled a bit and no matter where you are you can find bad things to say about it.   Ajijic has many great aspects to living here and I am going to start another thread about reasons why we are here.

I'm gonna say OF COURSE HE IS. One post ever. Referring to a WordPress quickie site. Too cowardly to own it either there or here. True definition of the word TROLL. One thing missing on our site is the ability to see how many times a Poster has come back to view his own thread.