Chapala.com Webboard

Closing of U.S./Canada border. Exceptions?

Eric Blair

I just read that  Disney Plus confirmed on Twitter that royal family member,Meghan Markle, is coming from, or came from Canada, to lend  her voice to the film Elephant, which will begin streaming on April 3

How is this considered "essential travel?"

Unless you really need attention, please send your comments to me in PM and I promise to answer them in a courteous manner.

12 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

I just read that  Disney Plus confirmed on Twitter that royal family member,Meghan Markle, is coming from, or came from Canada, to lend  her voice to the film Elephant, which will begin streaming on April 3

How is this considered "essential travel?"

Unless you really need attention, please send your comments to me in PM and I promise to answer them in a courteous manner.

You can bet the State Department issued a special permission for them to travel to the USA.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

You can bet the State Department issued a special permission for them to travel to the USA.

I'm sure that's true. However, how does doing a voice -track for Disney really  qualify as essential travel, especially when if a Canadian in Canada has an American wife in the U.S., he couldn't come to visit her if she were in the hospital.

Sort of a real double standard.

1 hour ago, Eric Blair said:

I'm sure that's true. However, how does doing a voice -track for Disney really  qualify as essential travel, especially when if a Canadian in Canada has an American wife in the U.S., he couldn't come to visit her if she were in the hospital.

Of course it's a double standard...

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The story is wrong. She already did the voice. And yes, if you are an actor, or any type of artist, your livelihood must continue when it can.

First, she is a "Royal" from Britain; also her and her husband  third zillions of dollars/pounds, every store that has been closed and theaters where live productions involve livelihoods. 

Connections is the key word.

8 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

He is not a Canadian and they are the Duke and Duchess of Sussex who are British Royalty and he specifically is a grandson of Queen Elisabeth II. She was already there as a born in California person and they both are locating there with their son who is also royalty. Get it straight before you post some BS  nonsense that doesn't affect you, in any event.

12 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Sorry, but they are no longer "royalty".  They are no longer Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

12 hours ago, happyjillin said:

He is not a Canadian and they are the Duke and Duchess of Sussex who are British Royalty and he specifically is a grandson of Queen Elisabeth II. She was already there as a born in California person and they both are locating there with their son who is also royalty. Get it straight before you post some BS  nonsense that doesn't affect you, in any event.

Just so I understand, you believe "Royalty" should have privileges in this time of dying and death, that the average person can not have?

A non-american could not come in from Canada to be with his sick/dying spouse or child,  but a "Royal" should be able to come in to work w/Disney.

Sorry, I can't internalize that, as a natural born American, that my non-american wife could not come w/me if I needed someone to care for me if I wanted to come to the U.S. for medical help.

In that one, I am clueless.

If you believe that Royalty, celebrities, and the wealthy and powerful should not be given special privileges, there is nothing wrong with that. If you believe they won't be given those privileges in our society, you should probably rethink. Just look at the stars of any sports team around the world, look at their outrageous salaries, and ask the same questions.

But she was not chosen to be "allowed" to do this because of her celebrity status, although that might have played into it in terms of publicity surrounding the whole thing. The couple literally moved to LA to live. Are there currently laws against people moving, or travelling, especially if it was planned before this? If so, then my own brother should not be allowed to get back into Canada today after spending two weeks in isolation here in Mexico.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Sorry, but they are no longer "royalty".  They are no longer Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Sorry, yes they still hold that title even though they have relinquished their ROYAL duties. Harry merely has lost the title "His Royal Highness" and some of what that entails and nothing else. He still remains 6th in line for the throne,in any event.

Eric, I am sorry but this is old news. She did the voice over some time ago (proceeds will go to benefit elephant protections) and they moved to the U.S. to live. There are many instances of injustice in this world that you can rant about. This isn't a particularly good one.