Chapala.com Webboard

Covid-19 Government announcement today

I just watched the full hour news conference; medical in theme. There was not one word of mandatory quarantine or of any government-imposed "shelter in place" requirement.

The only mention of AMLO was by one reporter who asked about his exposure to a now-confirmed case. The doctors both said that AMLO is not considered a high-risk person for contracting or passing the virus. Odd (to me) that the 30 or so reporters attending the press conference live did not abide by the safe 1.5 meter distance, did not have gloves or masks on, and freely passed the microphone from one to another during the Q/A portion of the update.

Takeaways:

• Try to stay home; it's the only way to stop the curve of infection.

• Over 900 confirmed cases nationwide; 20 dead to date, of which 50% registered other medical complications such as hypertension, diabetes or were immunocompromised.

• Number of infected is (fairly) evenly distributed between young adults thru mid 60's. Point--nobody is exempt.

• Lots of review of graphs and talk of how to re-fit hospital beds for what is to come. Total--best case--is under 1300 beds available after Mexico is confirmed in Stage 3 of transmission. They estimate 15% of cases will need hospitalization. 

• As of now there is neither prescribed treatment nor any national standards. Each doctor is free to diagnose and prescribe as s/he wishes. Treatment right now? Stay home and take Paracétamol if you have a fever. Do not overcrowd hospitals for less-than critical symptoms.

Again, both individuals  (Dr. López-Gatell Ramírez was not in attendance tonight)  who conducted the conference stressed social distancing as the best way to reduce the curve. Absolutely no talk of any government-imposed lockdown, paid time off, or anything of the sort. From a medical viewpoint, everything right now is still voluntary.

12 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Tourism between the USA, Canada & Mexico has been paused by agreement of the three countries.

Not that I know of.

I watched it as well.. I understood the spacing should be at least two meters, Oh well, I have my surgical gloves and masks and I'm going to overprotect myself. I will probably get teased by some of my friends, but I plan to make the best of it and always have an unopened can of Corona Beer with me as well.

I wish all of us the best of luck during these scary times :)  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rony said:

I listened to it carefully but I dont know where the translator got "mandatory ".

One word makes all the difference.

In the last message of the governor ( 4 hours ago ) : federal government " asks " citizens to stay home 

Totally agree.  Bad translation.  No mention of mandatory neither yesterday nor today.

more than anything...look at the body language and listen to the tone in this video.  I leave it up to viewers to interpret.

91512244_861028670975933_5259562542035894272_n.jpg

12 hours ago, cedros said:

Any thoughts on how this will affect those wanting to fly to Mexico from Canada as a tourist?

I meant to inquire about Residente Permanentes of Mexico wanting to return home to Mexico form north of the border.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

That's looking pretty good from the street.  Nice upgrade of the exterior.

Gracias. I designed it to look colonial and the contractor is following it perfectly with an excellent crew. I can hardly wait to see what his  painter does to execute the trompe l-oeil i have requested for certain areas.

Based on the press announcement I was afraid to go out this morning to get a scheduled blood draw for my annual physical, Wednesday. So before I went, I phoned up the San Antonio hospital asking if it was OK to go out and come down and get my blood tests.  They said sure. So I went in at 8 AM, and there was almost no one there. And I asked the doctor on duty ( in the area of the hospital that I had my tests) if the had seen any persons testing positive for the Corona Virus. And he said no. So I guess our lakeside community hasn't been hit yet.

As long as I was out, I stopped  by Super Lake for food supplies so I could stay home and at a local pharmacy to pick up my meds, There were a few people shopping at Super Lake this morning and we all spaced ourselves when I went through the checkout line.

17 hours ago, DeborahM said:

That was four hours ago. This is changing hourly now. We need to watch the YouTube live feed at 7 pm!

I belong to the Mexican government Youtube channel that you have suggested to others. 

I have received no notification of any live feed or any further information from the Federal government. 

I live in MIchoacán so did not expect to receive notice from the State of Jalisco.  

bmh, sorry to hear you gave tourist in Chapala,. I sure hope they were in quarantine for 14 days.  Those two countries are hot spots

i personally feel all entry into the country should be stopped for 1 month.  Just my opinion 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Sorry, but you are uninformed.  Canada border closed to non-essential travel (ie tourism) announced by  Canada on Monday March 16.   Mexico border closed both ways to non-essential travel effective March 20 11:59PM 

It was closed to GROUND TRAVEL.  I am asking about air. Travel agents say they are selling tickets to fly Canada to Mexico it isn't necessarily for tourism-it could be for those returning home to Mexico 

1 hour ago, More Liana said:

I belong to the Mexican government Youtube channel that you have suggested to others. 

I have received no notification of any live feed or any further information from the Federal government. 

I live in MIchoacán so did not expect to receive notice from the State of Jalisco.  

It was live at 7PM last night. It was also live on at least 2 TV channels.

41 minutes ago, cedros said:

It was closed to GROUND TRAVEL.  I am asking about air. Travel agents say they are selling tickets to fly Canada to Mexico it isn't necessarily for tourism-it could be for those returning home to Mexico 

Residents are not tourists. The non-essential ban does not apply. They are allowed to return to their place of residence. Also Canadians returning to Canada are allowed to pass both land crossings and change planes in the USA.