Chapala.com Webboard

Thoughts from a newbie

Initially I was excited to find this forum of locals to help me learn and navigate living in a new community and country.  The more I read however, the more discouraged I’ve become.  What makes the world an interesting place is that we all come from different backgrounds and have varied life experiences which of course lead us to have different thoughts and opinions.  One thing we do have in common is that we’ve chosen to make this community our home.  Is it possible for us to share, consider the points of view others and even disagree without resorting to nasty personal attacks on this forum?  I may be completely off base in posting here, but with all the craziness in the world right now it seems like the perfect time to practice some care, compassion and camaraderie within this community.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, Holalola said:

Initially I was excited to find this forum of locals to help me learn and navigate living in a new community and country.  The more I read however, the more discouraged I’ve become.  What makes the world an interesting place is that we all come from different backgrounds and have varied life experiences which of course lead us to have different thoughts and opinions.  One thing we do have in common is that we’ve chosen to make this community our home.  Is it possible for us to share, consider the points of view others and even disagree without resorting to nasty personal attacks on this forum?  I may be completely off base in posting here, but with all the craziness in the world right now it seems like the perfect time to practice some care, compassion and camaraderie within this community.

You're not off base just uninformed about the long standing feuding personalities on this broad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are very sweet but also naive.  This board is ruthlessly ruled by someone with a far right ideology and so fairness will never be possible.  Talk to coldwell banker they own the space and are the only ones who can level the discourse.  It is a reason many choose not to do business with them.  Eh MC?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holalola said:

You're very reasonable! Lakeside is a melting pot with all types charactors, personalities and backgrounds that you won't have a dull moment. The best thing is you really can search for tons of useful information without posting questions (Some are outdated). I have learned a lot on many different subjects.

I do put my thumbs away and not log in here for a few days. Know that often when people are arguing especially online, they aren't looking for solutions. It's about dumping his/her opinion out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey Holalola,

There are lots of wonderful and diverse people living lakeside.  If you'll send me a P.M., I'll be happy to try and direct you to more "like-minded" people so you can ask questions and learn more about things that may concern or interest you.  I've used this web board as a valuable tool for many years and have learned to look away from some of the petty feuds and discussions that occasionally occur.  As Lily H mentioned, generally you can find great information without a twist or spin.  If you are not averse to Facebook, there are some really good FB groups that you can join that are private and you can participate in the areas that may interest you most while you make a decision about lakeside.

Stay safe and healthy and cheers/salud!

Val :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

You are very sweet but also naive.  This board is ruthlessly ruled by someone with a far right ideology and so fairness will never be possible.  Talk to coldwell banker they own  space and are the only ones who can level the discourse.  It is a reason many choose not to do business with them.  Eh MC?

Here's an example of exactly what the OP is referring to.  Nice job there El Menudo.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe try Facebook. The Chapala forums are populated with many thick skinned characters. I have been online since the compuserve forums, with my $10,000 windows clone, so called portable. Then there were the usenet flame wars. It will all be some fascinating book someday. You can' t float, in a boat without wind, power,and words.

I greatly enjoy the Chapala Forum. And maybe it is because I am a middle of the roader, neither totally conservative nor totally liberal. And I don' t find this forum too conservative or too liberal. I find it just fine. Sure every once in a while someone will go a little too far one way or another, but it doesn't bother me. Often I find it entertaining.

My biggest complaint is my age. So I lie about it and claim to be older than I am :) 

• Like 1

Holalola, internet forums are often not all sweetness and light and totally civilized dialogue. There are all kinds of opinions, writing styles and personalities. Yes, people should try not to be mean or make personal attacks on other posters, but that's not the reality in any internet forum I've ever participated in. If a forum has unbiased, watchful moderators, who are actually trained in that field, they'll usually remove personal attacks or close threads that get too nasty. But in general, if you're the kind of person who is sensitive and expects everyone to be nice all the time, you won't find that on any internet forums, in my experience.

• Like 5

Mudgirl and the others saying basically the same thing are, IMO, right. 

If you are thin skinned, the, as much as I fear/hate it, try a FB groupl

As to my dislike for FB, just Google "Dave the mind reader" and you will understant.

Best wishes.

Sorry Holalola. I think I may be one of your offenders. I cut my teeth on a PV forum. That was really rough. Hang in there. Mostly this forum is about sharing "how to, where to and who to". The search function isn't the best but does work as long as what you're looking for has more than four letters.

Here in the real world we have fights, feuds and outright lies.  One or two of the people on here I would like to invite out back but than a day or two later they will post something I like.  The women on here more than hold their own so I try to not stir up the ire of  one.  I quite like it when we get off thread about something but some people complain.  If we did not have differences of opinion what a boring place this could be.  

• Like 2

Try not to use a internet forum as a judgement about folks here.  Lots of nice people I know here both conservative and liberal.  Something about sitting behind a keyboard that makes certain folks say things they would not say in person. Everybody has a bad day now and than but MOST folks here or on the other board are ok. Yea some folks are acidic or emotional about certain issues I ignore it.  When things get better come have a cup of coffee with us at the ajijic plaza or LCS in the morning. I think you will get a better impression of us. Lots of folks meet in lots of different location and you should be able to find some common ground.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Here in the real world we have fights, feuds and outright lies.  One or two of the people on here I would like to invite out back but than a day or two later they will post something I like.  The women on here more than hold their own so I try to not stir up the ire of  one.  I quite like it when we get off thread about something but some people complain.  If we did not have differences of opinion what a boring place this could be.  

Differences of opinion are fine and debate is interesting.  It's the nasty, personal attacks that I find confusing.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Why don´t you have the same "moral standard" for using your real age???      :D:D:D

Gosh, I was born in 1839 not 1939. I don't want people to know that. And of course you and I know each others age. It's got to stay a secret :) 

13 hours ago, Ferret said:

Sorry Holalola. I think I may be one of your offenders. I cut my teeth on a PV forum. That was really rough. Hang in there. Mostly this forum is about sharing "how to, where to and who to". The search function isn't the best but does work as long as what you're looking for has more than four letters.

We had wonderful brawls on Thorn Tree as well as good info.