Chapala.com Webboard

Survey. Yes or No

49 minutes ago, johanson said:

I suspended my maid with pay. My gardener will continue to work

Us too.  Gardener rides his bike here and has no problem keeping his distance when coming and going.  We plan on resuming maid soon but with another customer will handle her transportation so she doesn't get on the bus.

Don't have a housekeeper. 

Gardener wants to come; he drives his own car and has access to garden without coming into the house.  He has a strong loyalty to the house; he's worked at this house for 13+ years, and for years before that his uncle was the gardener here.  If it were a situation where he had to take a bus to get here, we'd have asked him to stay home and would have paid him.  

I have a housekeeper who normally works twice a week, 9:30AM to 3:30PM.  I talked with her and gave her the choice NOT to come, to come once a week, or to keep to her regular schedule.  I assured her that I would pay her regular twice-weekly salary no matter what she chose to do.

She chose to come one day a week; her husband or another relative will bring her to work so that she doesn't have to take a bus.  If she chooses to change her mind and not work--or work full time--I will continue to pay her full salary.

It seems odd to me that our employees' pay is built into our household budgets but that some people apparently are not paying their employees for their time away from work during this extremely difficult period.  Sure, I'd rather have my housework done by my housekeeper rather than do it myself.  And she'd rather work her regular hours.  But who suffers the most financially if she chooses not to come?  Not me.  I have no interest in causing financial problems for her and her family.  

• Like 1

We are not at Lakeside for the next 6 months.  When we go north, we usually continue to pay our maid (4 hours a week) and our gardener (1 1/2 hours twice a week) and they work although the house is empty.  We give the maid a number of 'once a year' jobs to do for the 6 months; the gardener continues to water and trim as usual.

This year, we will continue to pay them, but we've asked them not to come to work on public transit.  The maid will come every 10 days or so, in her husband's truck, to check on the house and then leave; the gardener, who comes in his own truck, will come every 7-10 days to water the plants enough to keep them alive, less during rainy season.

If things change over the summer, we will be in contact with our property manager to renegotiate the terms, but we will continue to pay their full salary during the 6 months.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 2:53 PM, More Liana said:

I have a housekeeper who normally works twice a week, 9:30AM to 3:30PM.  I talked with her and gave her the choice NOT to come, to come once a week, or to keep to her regular schedule. 

Can you explain this? Someone is either isolating they're not- there's no such thing as "sort of" isolating. So what does it matter if she comes once a week or twice a week?

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Can you explain this? Someone is either isolating they're not- there's no such thing as "sort of" isolating. So what does it matter if she comes once a week or twice a week?

Did I say anything about her isolating, or about me isolating? 

I gave her the choice of doing what she believed is appropriate for her.  She's an informed adult, capable of making decisions about her life.  A family member brings her to work, she doesn't take a bus.  She's a long-time employee (she worked for me for years, when I lived in Morelia the first time, and she came back to work for me when I moved back here over a year ago) who really cares about keeping my house as clean as hers is--hers is spotless.  I left it up to her.    

Have you asked those who posted "no", or "no and no" the same question?