Chapala.com Webboard

TO ALL US CITIZENS NOT GETTING SOCIAL SECURITY or filed a US tax return YOU MAY MISS THE $1200 GIVEN OUT BY THE US GOVT

To all US citizens who do not get social security and who did not file tax return in 2018 or 2019 

you my miss out on the $1200 single  $2400 married,

YOU need to file a tax return a immediately to get that  crisis money

Go on IRS free file web site and file today and file a tax return by efile little income you may have.

some of you may have only income of   $2 interest, but if you file you may get the money

some of you are not required to file since you are below the threshold, but go ahead and file the little income you have.

Have your kids help you.

This is only for people who do not get social security or have not filed a tax return in 2018  or 2019

do it today,, they may send you THE $1200 as early as three weeks from now.

see link

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-stimulus-package-aid-and-stimulus-guide-for-us-individuals-and-businesses-223030400.html

Are you dead sure that, if one didn't file a return in 2018 but did say in 2017 or 2016, that they will NOT get a stimulus check?   None of us have read the Bill just passed today.  Yes, I "read" that if one has not filed yet in 2019 that they will use one's 2018 return but I did not see that 2018 was as far back as they will look.   Do you have some insight into the exact criteria and tools that Treasury will use to distribute the funds?

2 hours ago, RickS said:

Are you dead sure that, if one didn't file a return in 2018 but did say in 2017 or 2016, that they will NOT get a stimulus check?   None of us have read the Bill just passed today.  Yes, I "read" that if one has not filed yet in 2019 that they will use one's 2018 return but I did not see that 2018 was as far back as they will look.   

According to the new law, the IRS is going to look first to your 2019 tax return to compute the payment. If no 2019 return has been filed, however, the IRS will grab your 2018 return instead. (If you receive Social Security and don’t need to file a return, the IRS will send you a payment based on your Form 1099-SSA).

• Like 2

If you do qualify for the money under any situation you can call the IRS consumer hotline and give them your banking info to receive it quicker.

Unless they already have it.

Especially if one does not have a USA address. Or if it would be difficult to get it sent here from that address.

Fortunately I already have my Federal return by direct deposit so I should be good to go.

Yes, I read and already knew what you said about 2019 and 2018. That's how the checks will be cut. But none of us know exactly what 'else' the law says just in case there is no 2018 filing.  I can't image that the cutoff will be so abrupt as to eliminate all those who maybe filed in 2017, 2016, 2015 etc. but just didn't have any US income in 2018. Maybe you are right, but.... 

16 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Funny I was under the impression that among other things, this money was to help people that no longer had income due to this pandemic. 😩

Yes... among other things. And this appears to be 'one of those things'. But a not-so-often mentioned reason is to pump billions $'s into the economy very quickly ... people get the money and SPEND it, money they didn't have before and therefore would/could not have spent it..... to stop/mitigate the free fall. While many of us don't agree with this philosophy it's certainly not a new concept.

Me, I'll just give mine to a person that I know needs it/something right now to keep his head above the water.

• Like 1

For sure, but there are plenty of folks who don't have social security.... unfortunately.

Look, I am absolutely NOT trying to debunk traderspoc's Post. It is what we know, but it's what we DON'T know that gives me some concern. I don't know if I would suggest that someone file a 2019 return in time, however possible that may or may not be, without knowing 'the rest of the story'. I'm also not sure how someone who doesn't get SS and has not been filing returns all along is going to quickly file a return anyway but that's another story.

33 minutes ago, RickS said:

Yes... among other things. And this appears to be 'one of those things'. But a not-so-often mentioned reason is to pump billions $'s into the economy very quickly ... people get the money and SPEND it, money they didn't have before and therefore would/could not have spent it..... to stop/mitigate the free fall. While many of us don't agree with this philosophy it's certainly not a new concept.

Certainly we all agree that payments must be made to those who are now unemployed or underemployed due to the virus.  They need these checks to survive.

For those not affected by this virus, it remains to be seen how effective this direct relief will be compared to direct payments made in past recessions.  In those recessions, people were not under stay-at-home orders and businesses were not shut.  It was easy to go out and support your local stores and shops.  Right now almost half of Americans are under such orders.  As they say, "it's different this time."

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-24-20-intl-hnk/h_53920ca17935e3453626b25442b00066

At least 13 states and 13 municipalities in the US have ordered 144,522,931 people to stay home as a result of the pandemic, according to data compiled by CNN using US Census population estimates. 

That's about 44% of the US population.

At least three additional states and eight municipalities will have orders going into effect later this week. 

When all orders take effect 162,485,384 people will be affected by the orders — or 49% of the US population.  

• Like 1

I am retired and am on social security and income from my investment account. And of course my investment account which is a combination of stocks and bonds has lost some 20% to 30% of its value since the corona virus became serious.

Do I deserve the $1,200 given out by the US government?  I do not know, but I will not be complaining when I get the $1,200 deposited in the same account that receives my monthly social security check.

To add more detail to @Lily Hpost, there is a diminishing payment for those above initial threshold.  WaPo has a handy-dandy calculator here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/coronavirus-stimulus-check-calculator/

Who exactly qualifies for a payment? Individuals with adjusted gross incomes up to $75,000 a year will be eligible for the full $1,200 check. Reduced checks will go out to individuals making up to $99,000 a year (the payment amount falls by $5 for every $100 in income above $75,000).

Married couples are eligible for a $2,400 check as long as their adjusted gross income is under $150,000 a year. Reduced checks, on a sliding scale, will go out to married couples who earn up to $198,000. Married couples also will receive an additional $500 for every child under 17.

All good information, but we are drifting from the premise of traderspoc's Post and I quote... "To all US citizens who do not get social security and who did not file a tax return in 2018 or 2019".

He/she is trying to give THOSE people a head's up as to how to garner a check. The rest of us are home free.

5 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Funny I was under the impression that among other things, this money was to help people that no longer had income due to this pandemic. 😩

good observation , They may  have no income in 2020, but have to pay tax on the dividends and capital in 2019 that they no longer have

What I posted is from the U.S. Treasury.  They are the ones issuing the checks.  I have found inaccurate information on Forbes website and others that still say IRS will require that you file.  That is not true.  FOX news has also quoted the U.S. Treasury document that I supplied above.  I am sure in a short amount of the time, the other news agencies will follow suit and correct this misinformation previously given.  Let's hope!

I didn´t get yesterday, even, my monthly deposit! and of course, I do not have social security....  :( :(  I would be happy to have at least the  regular deposit.... :(