Chapala.com Webboard

Interesting

SunFan

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I remember the words of Trump.   

Here are some:

Jan. 22: "And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s — going to be just fine.”

Jan. 24: “It will all work out well.”

Jan. 24: "China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!"

Jan. 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. … we think it’s going to have a very good ending for it.”

Feb. 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”

Feb 14: “We have a very small number of people in the country, right now, with it. It’s like around 12. Many of them are getting better. Some are fully recovered already. So we’re in very good shape.”

Feb. 24: “... is very much under control” and the stock market “starting to look very good to me!”

Feb. 26: "The United States is really prepared.

Feb. 27: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

Feb. 29: Vaccine will be available "very rapidly."

Feb. 29: Obama and Joe Biden “didn’t do anything about” swine flu. “The Obama administration made a decision on testing that turned out to be very detrimental to what we’re doing.”

March 2: "It's very mild."

March 6: “Anybody that wants a test can get a test.”

March 7: "I am not concerned at all."

March 10: "It will go away. Just stay calm."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Deeds, not words. Lily.

Nor do sound bites out of context a policy make.   The Corona virus task force and VP have been running the show and doing pretty well when you consider they hafe to deal with 50 state governments, some of whom are as partisan as some of you.

Nice try, good TDS post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actions matter.  Politicians talk and posture a lot.  There's no question he underestimated the problem, he's hardly alone in this.  What matters is the U.S. government on his watch responded quickly and to date the death rate from this virus is 1/18th that of the previous big virus outbreak for which the same government sat on its hands for over four long months in 2009 doing nothing.  Among other things you all seem to have selectively forgotten, this same government was roundly attacked by your partisans and your media for the early travel ban on China which proved to be a very correct move.

Equally ironic, your partisans and your media attacked him for correctly labeling the virus based on its origin after they had all done the same.  The level of hypocrisy is truly amazing here.

I'm sorry I can't hate the guy for trying to keep people calm and projecting optimism and for being a less than perfect person.  His early assessments were not correct.  Unlike the President of Brazil, however, this one has learned from his mistakes and more importantly the government has responded forcefully and not at all tardy when viewed in the context of both previous history and the rest of the world.  That is probably why this government is polling pretty high on the approval of the U.S. public for its response.  Check Gallup.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gringal said:

For me, it's not so much who did what and when, or whether the reporting was the truth or fiction for convenience, but what the plans and actions are now.

It's not just me, but plenty of Republicans who find the most appalling idea is the U.S. president wanting to open up the country by Easter!  I just don't get it, and it's scary as hell.  I doubt that the majority of Americans over 65 are in favor of dying to boost the economy. 

Just as bad is the Mexican denial stance.  We're all in trouble; the leadership is in disarray in many places and yes, those who will suffer the worst are already at the bottom of the economic ladder. I can relate to the artisans since I am one, and the market as well as the selling opportunites have disappeared.  Fortunately, my survival doesn't depend on selling my wares.  If it did, I'd be going hungry.

That is not what he said. Listen to his speech. You are just repeating the same false information as the press. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Actions matter.  Politicians talk and posture a lot.  There's no question he underestimated the problem, he's hardly alone in this.  What matters is the U.S. government on his watch responded quickly and to date the death rate from this virus is 1/18th that of the previous big virus outbreak for which the same government sat on its hands for over four long months doing nothing.  Among other things you all seem to have selectively forgotten, this same government was roundly attacked by your partisans and your media for the early travel ban on China which proved to be a very correct move.

Please stop spreading lies.  It makes you look even worse.  Obama declared a public health emergency when there were 20 cases of H1N1.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-wait-swine-flu-n1h1/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Deeds, not words. Lily.

Nor do sound bites out of context a policy make.   The Corona virus task force and VP have been running the show and doing pretty well when you consider they hafe to deal with 50 state governments, some of whom are as partisan as some of you.

Nice try, good TDS post.

You have got a lot of nerve calling someone else partisan.  Look in the mirror deary.  😾

Thank you All Day. I had to go and search for that link in another thread on this subject because it's kinda obvious that MC didn't read it the first time round. I was just coming back to post it here and found you had already done so.

I've got floors to sweep and mop and dusting to be done. Carry on.

Many politicians from around the world have learned that B.S. baffles brains. One particularly notable one has been practising this maxim his entire life and career.

Too bad you couldn' t read Fareed Zakaria' s new article "Americas Exceptionalism is now Incompetance". A well balanced, non partisan look as to what has happened to government and governing in the U.S.A. There are many now saying the dream of Federalism is breaking down. Mexico adopted Federalism because they thought it would please the USA. - it didn't. And here, just like there, the system is breaking down because of too much authority in a central location, where the risks of corruption and poor management threaten an entire nation equally. The founders of Canada foresaw this problem, and put a lot more deciding power with the Provinces. A Parliamentary Democracy. One poorly run Province will barely damage the rest.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

There's no question he underestimated the problem, he's hardly alone in this

He understands nothing about science and refuses to listen to those who are knowledgable. He ignored what he was being told, because he thinks he knows better than anyone about everything. A POTUS has no business "underestimating the problem" and making decisions based upon his own ignorance. Intelligent, responsible people listen to what they are being told by those who in a position to know. There is blood on his hands, lots of it, there will be more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SunFan said:

From reported figures America now has more C-19 cases than China https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

On the surface doesn't that statistic say a lot about America's preparedness and management of C-19 given China has four times the population and not one of the best health care systems in the world.

It would be interesting to see comparisons based on percentage of infections/deaths to each countries population

SunFan

Actually it has more to do with the number if citizens traveling internationally. No one cruises or travels more than nortenos. I am sure when it all settles down we will see the survival and infection rates.

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Actions matter.  Politicians talk and posture a lot.  There's no question he underestimated the problem, he's hardly alone in this.  What matters is the U.S. government on his watch responded quickly and to date the death rate from this virus is 1/18th that of the previous big virus outbreak for which the same government sat on its hands for over four long months in 2009 doing nothing.  Among other things you all seem to have selectively forgotten, this same government was roundly attacked by your partisans and your media for the early travel ban on China which proved to be a very correct move.

Where do you get this nonsense?   The death rate from H1N1 ended up being .02%  Today we have 94,000 cases of COVID 19 with 1,435 deaths.  That's a death rate of 1.59%.   You should really consider taking a little timeout for the sake of the board as it seems you are just posting propaganda.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, geeser said:

Actually it has more to do with the number if citizens traveling internationally. No one cruises or travels more than nortenos. I am sure when it all settles down we will see the survival and infection rates.

Good point. I hadn't thought of travel as a possible key factor in infection rates.

SunFan

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

What exactly would you have had them do?  A travel ban was put on on January 20.  The same people that are suggesting not enough done criticized that as too much.  Make up your minds.

The last Joe biden spoke about it he said he would not do a travel ban on China. Do those checks have to be hand carried?`

15 minutes ago, All Day said:

Where do you get this nonsense?   The death rate from H1N1 ended up being .02%  Today we have 94,000 cases of COVID 19 with 1,435 deaths.  That's a death rate of 1.59%.   You should really consider taking a little timeout for the sake of the board as it seems you are just posting propoganda.

I am afraid he is teetering on the edge.  It may be time for an intervention.

Lots of US haters crawling out from beneath their rocks here. Wish one would explain why they hate the US so much that they feel the need to attack everything it does?  It seems they are hoping for complete destruction of the country and mass loss of life. Any one of you haters want to explain this, or no guts?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Lots of US haters crawling out from beneath their rocks here. Wish one would explain why they hate the US so much that they feel the need to attack everything it does?  It seems they are hoping for complete destruction of the country and mass loss of life. Any one of you want to explain this, or no guts?

You are so funny! 😁😁😁😁😁

10 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Lots of US haters crawling out from beneath their rocks here. Wish one would explain why they hate the US so much that they feel the need to attack everything it does?  It seems they are hoping for complete destruction of the country and mass loss of life. Any one of you want to explain this, or no guts?

Guts?  No problem.  What makes you interpret criticism of the administration's policies as hating the people of the U.S.?  I think that's a huge stretch.  El Menudo has quoted an article detailing most of the policies that will hurt the population in terms of environmental controls, etc.  I have many, many relatives and friends in the U.S and I want the best life for them...and everyone else, for that matter. 

• Like 2