Chapala.com Webboard

Interesting assessment of coronavirus surface transfer

I've seen several articles about CV referencing this German risk assessment institute. The gist of it is that you can pretty much touch anything and if you wash/sanitize your hands before touching your face, mouth, eyes, ears and mucous areas, there will be no transmission. Of course, that last part is apparently the hard part.

https://www.bfr.bund.de/en/can_the_new_type_of_coronavirus_be_transmitted_via_food_and_objects_-244090.html

• Like 1

Never knew how often I touched my face, corner of lips, ears, nose, eyes until I paid attention.  Even then, I usually noticed it after I touched my face.  And it seems, always with my right hand.  

Here's what I'm doing now when I go for my daily walks: before I leave the house I put a alcohol wipe in my right hand and keep it there.  So now when my hand comes up to touch my face, it's already got the wipe between me and my face. 

I also wrapped it on my index finger when I pressed the ATM buttons the other day.  When I get home, it goes in the trash.  

For me the trick is to KEEP it in my hand...when I tried leaving it my tote or pocket, I inevitably didn't use it, forgot about it.  

• Like 5

Right-on B-Gal. Those involuntary actions, when we become artificially required to pay attention, seem like they happen every few minutes!  Amazing.  Sort of like when one cuts, say, a finger and then realize that they use that finger 'all the time' for something.

I do a lot of gardening, so my hands are often covered in soil- I've gotten used to scratching or wiping my face with my arm, so that's certainly coming in handy now.

It's reminding me of when my kids were young- head lice would go around at school and all the parents would have to check and treat their kids if necessary. As soon as there's head lice around, every time your head is itchy, you think, "Oh no, I have lice", but we aren't aware of how often we scratch our heads routinely.

10 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Anyone concerned about how to deal safely with groceries you bring home from the store, I just ran across this video posted on another site- really good demonstrations about how to sanitize and deal with your purchases.

With all the  washing and all, I didn’t see him wash the table where his bag was ..but maybe I missed it .

Absolutely excellent.Thanks.

I would add one extra layer of protection that I use since even though there is no evidence that cornoa-virus on the skin and be a problem, I'm just wondering of you may have a cut/scrape on a hand that might help the virus get into your system. Even though the chances seem less than slim to none, why not?.

In the fruit section of WM and Soriana, they have rolls of plastic bags, some are small.

I take two bags and put one on each hand and then put a rubber bank on each wrist.

Strip off when done and dispose of them in a lined trash container.

It takes no time/money.

Just a thought.

Another expert I have seen several places, a Dr Alan ??, says the virus lives on surfaces but the most current findings are that it only seems to transmit through airborn droplets. The virus on surfaces, according to him, is only dangerous for a short time. Who to believe?

50 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

The virus on surfaces, according to him, is only dangerous for a short time. Who to believe?

I'd prefer to be safe than sorry. During that "short time" you could possibly infect yourself. Another thing people should be aware of- don't let other people pet your dog if you go out for a walk- you have no idea if that person might have just coughed or sneezed into their hand, then you touch your dog... 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 2:06 AM, mudgirl said:

I'd prefer to be safe than sorry. During that "short time" you could possibly infect yourself. Another thing people should be aware of- don't let other people pet your dog if you go out for a walk- you have no idea if that person might have just coughed or sneezed into their hand, then you touch your dog... 

I think people should always keep their hands off my dog.