Chapala.com Webboard

RestaurantsServing to go food

Ian Greenwood

Just picked up a wonderful tray of chicken enchiladas, moist, lightly spiced just a well prepared dish enough for three or four people came with a large Tossed salad from blue Rose bistro not necessarily cheap 395 Pesos . A  heavy duty ,aluminum tray ...cooking instructions.”...Come on  “ folks support your local restaurants ...before they’re gone .

• Like 1

El Rey Taco's special today is a full blown roast turkey dinner, with all the trimmings, including cranberry sauce. More than their usual prices at 200 pesos each.

Ian, some food professionals are saying the Covid  19 outbreak will change the restaurant and food service industry forever. That deliveries will become the norm. Makes sense in Chapala and Ajijic where parking is extremely limited. Any thoughts?

True enough about the wretched parking situation in recent  years, but after being home most of the day, it's a pleasure to go out  for most people.  I miss it.  As for take out...I don't mind cooking...and I KNOW what kind of sanitation is practiced in my kitchen.  We can only hope it's up to snuff in the take out restaurants.

Excellent article here on safety of take-out food.  Long but worth reading.  Well researched.  Good tips on how to handle delivered/take-away foods and packaging.  

Risk of take-away about the same as risk of shopping for food.  I see so many people at groceries pick over food then put it back, many let their kids do the same.  While you can boil/bake/grill it at home, you touched it at the store and if you then touched your face before you had a chance to wash/sanitize you could get the virus. 

We are doing one meal at home, one meal take-away or delivery.  Want to support my local tiendas and fruterias, as well as local eateries.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gringal said:

Good points, but by now we all know that all produce we buy should get a good Microdyn bath before using.

It's about what happens when you are in the store; if you touch food (and any surface) that has the virus, then touch your face before you leave the store or on your way home, or anytime before washing or sanitizing your hands, you're at risk for the virus.  It's about the same level of risk grocery shopping as getting take-away or delivery.  

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

El Rey Taco's special today is a full blown roast turkey dinner, with all the trimmings, including cranberry sauce. More than their usual prices at 200 pesos each.

Ian, some food professionals are saying the Covid  19 outbreak will change the restaurant and food service industry forever. That deliveries will become the norm. Makes sense in Chapala and Ajijic where parking is extremely limited. Any thoughts?

After snacking and grazing yesterday I ordered two turkey dinners. Will enjoy “leftovers” for the next couple of days. Have been eating Marco’s turkey dinners for several years now and they are wonderful! I trust Marco and his sanitary practices.

• Like 1

I called in an order to Ismat's this afternoon.  It was ready when I arrived (they did offer home delivery but I had to pick up a medication so I was going to be out anyway), everyone had on gloves and face masks.  When I finished paying, she gave my gloved hands a generous squirt of hand sanitizer before I touched my car keys and steering wheel.

A win-win.  She mentioned Gossip's is still using the current menu to use up ingredients in their inventory but will switch over to a different menu on Monday.

Cheers, stay safe and healthy,

Val   :)

• Thanks 2

Chopsticks is doing take-away and offers to bring it to you in your car inside Bugambilias garage, IF you pre-ordered and phone them from the parking garage when you arrive for pick-up.  You can also go inside to pick-up or eat (they say at FB page that they have spaced their tables).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gotta say, those ribs from Adelita's were delicious for lunch today! Many thanks to them for offering this wonderful service.  The young man arrived in less than 45 minutes with hot ribs (and the fixings), wearing a mask and gloves and had the right amount of pesos to make change based on the bills I told them I'd be using to pay.

Delicious and many thanks!

Cheers,

Val  :)

I just want to add that some to many restaurants are also serving to the very small # of folks who venture out and want to be served at the restaurant. Apparently Thursday was the first day this was allowed.  The tables were widely spaced to ensure proper 2 meter spacing at Scallions .And when I was there, there were maybe 6 to 8 other customers, which of course, is much fewer than normal.

We ordered four vegan curry plates from Indian Curry in the food court in Laguna Mall. He's does delivery through Traitte or pick up. 333 964 7203.

Teocintle is offering delivery and take-away.  Had wonderful meal from them last week.  They are changing their menu almost daily, see FB page.  Here is today's menu, Wed. April 8th  

Phone or Whatsapp at 33 1547 8968 

For now their hours are 2 to 7.  

teo2.jpg

teo1.jpg