Chapala.com Webboard

How to talk to family and friends who ignore social distancing appeals

ChrisR

Not to take away from the seriousness of the message but I had no choice. There is something seriously wrong with the way the "reactions" system is working on this forum and I do not understand the "limitations" of said reactions.

• Thanks 1

I had an interesting conversation with my daughter in Toronto today. She and her family have been self-isolating for a couple of weeks already, since before the official orders, and got in a stock of non-perishables at least a month ago (No, they're not hoarding 12 giant packs of tp, it's basically enough non-perishable food, and other essential items to last them 2 or 3 weeks if need be.

She and my son-in-law have pretty essential jobs, so they're secure that way and are both working from home and my 18 year old granddaughter is doing her uni courses online. But the 15 year-old, who's a challenge at the best of times (major ADHD) was still going out and about and several days before the lockdown orders came out, was told in no uncertain terms that she absolutely couldn't go out anymore, that she was risking the health and possibly the lives of her parents and sister. Her friends' parents were still letting their kids out, so of course my granddaughter railed and ranted for 2 days until my daughter finally sat her down and said that fine, if she wanted to go stay at a friend's house, and the parents were okay with that, my daughter would pay for her food and other needs, but that if she made that decision,.she had to understand that she wouldn't be allowed back into the family home until there was an all-clear, which might not happen for months. Not even for 5 minutes to grab some clothes, not even if she changed her mind and cried and begged to come home. That pretty much sobered her up and 2 days later there was no longer any choice and all her friends were confined to home as well. Of course they're all on their phones whining to each other about how unfair and boring it all is.

• Like 1