Chapala.com Webboard

Hamburger Meat Alert

I have returned to Oklahoma to take care of my cattle.  Prices for calves have dropped by 30 to 40 cents whereas old cow and bull prices have increased by 10 to 15 cents.  This is due to Hamburger meat, they are trying to get all they can.  Hamburger meat can be used to make many different dishes and can be frozen for up to 3 or four months.  Steak and roasts can be frozen up to a year at zero degrees farenheit.  Some stores here have already started limiting hamburger purchase to one 2 pound package.  They use to have 5 and 10 pound packages but I don't see them any more.  I am selling my old cows but I am sure there will be a nation wide shortage of beef, especially hamburger meat.  The other thing I can't find is pinto beans.  I am sure where you come from in the United States or Canada there is items there which cannot be found but I think Hamburger meat will be a national shortage.  There is plenty of chicken and it is easy to increase supplies.  For cows you only get one calf a year. You might consider buying some extra hamburger meat for the future. 

I live in Colorado where we produce a good bit of beef. And right next door to Oklahoma and Texas where they produce a ton more. 

Last week my Kroger store had no fresh beef of any kind. Fast forward to yesterday and a trip to my favorite small store with a great meat department and they had.... NO hamburger, some steaks which I bought. Then I drove over to my Kroger store again for weekly staples and.... still not ONE ounce of fresh meat of any kind. A 15' long meat counter and it was dark!  Fish, yes.  And the butcher said he had no idea when they would get any meat. 

I think... or rather thought.... that I was too old to go vegan. I don't even like the sound of that word!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I have returned to Oklahoma to take care of my cattle.  Prices for calves have dropped by 30 to 40 cents whereas old cow and bull prices have increased by 10 to 15 cents.  This is due to Hamburger meat, they are trying to get all they can.  Hamburger meat can be used to make many different dishes and can be frozen for up to 3 or four months.  Steak and roasts can be frozen up to a year at zero degrees farenheit.  Some stores here have already started limiting hamburger purchase to one 2 pound package.  They use to have 5 and 10 pound packages but I don't see them any more.  I am selling my old cows but I am sure there will be a nation wide shortage of beef, especially hamburger meat.  The other thing I can't find is pinto beans.  I am sure where you come from in the United States or Canada there is items there which cannot be found but I think Hamburger meat will be a national shortage.  There is plenty of chicken and it is easy to increase supplies.  For cows you only get one calf a year. You might consider buying some extra hamburger meat for the future. 

Holy Cow! 

3 hours ago, rafterbr said:

And for all the readers in the USA  who will think about this. His old cow & bull prices will go up if you purchase to hoard beef.  Thus this post could benefit him financially!!!!

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

And for all the readers in the USA  who will think about this. His old cow & bull prices will go up if you purchase to hoard beef.  Thus this post could benefit him financially!!!!

Why was this post necessary?

Anyone having trouble finding hamburger around here?

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

No problema. We get all we want,done the way we want at the Mecado. Most cattle ranchers I know raise and finish steers for consumption, so what's this talk about butchering old cows and bulls anyway.

Very few ranches finish their calfs.  They go to large feedlots.  There is no way readers  from here with all their friends will affect the prices of the millions of people who buy beef.  I was simply giving a heads up.  Prudent people may want to store a little extra beef.  If and when it gets bad in Mexico it will probably be worse than here.  The processor uses cows and bulls for hamburger, bologna and other lunch meats.  Your steaks and fine cuts come from the fed out calves from the feed lots. People in Mexico have not walked into a Walmart or grocery store and found the shelves empty like here.  I believe people will start hoarding there like here, and I don't believe Mexico has an adequate resupply system.  As for the toilet paper for some reason people have hoarded and my son-in-law in Germany is using a spong.

1 hour ago, vetteforron said:

Isn't beef a commodity?  Prices I know can vary from region to regions but, I thought commodities are about the same wherever. This is just a question I just am not an expert in this area other than eating to many BigMacs. 

Prices can vary widely within a region.  Actually most of the calves in Oklahoma go to feedlots in Kansas, Nebraska and New Mexico.  They are usually processed in the same states.  Meat from there goes to New York, California, etc.  In Oklahoma most of the grocery stores get boxed meat from Canada.   

• Like 1

The shortage of beef may be related to the current over surplus of  dairy milk. In Mexico, as in the U.S. a dairy cow must produce at least one calf so it will produce milk. If that calf is a bull it is sold after weaning and after a few months they are shipped live to the huge U.S. feedlots. With the lower consumption and low prices for dairy milk maybe less cows are going in to "production".

6 hours ago, crynoutloud said:

My guess is with the restaurants closed down in the most populated states there will be a glut of beef in the supermarkets.

You may be right but I have heard the government is planning a large beef buy.  Again mainly hamburger meat.  This is to feed the hungry school children who use to get free meals at the schools, homeless people and other low income or unemployed people.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

The shortage of beef may be related to the current over surplus of  dairy milk. In Mexico, as in the U.S. a dairy cow must produce at least one calf so it will produce milk. If that calf is a bull it is sold after weaning and after a few months they are shipped live to the huge U.S. feedlots. With the lower consumption and low prices for dairy milk maybe less cows are going in to "production".

In the United States there are less cows now than there were 40 years ago.  Most of our foreign markets have dried up is the only reason there is adequate beef for the states.

No doubt this has something to do with that:

USDA estimates 2011 U.S. per-capita beef consumption at 57.4 lbs., down 13% from 10 years ago, and down about 25% from 1980. USDA predicts Americans will eat 54.1 lbs. of beef on average in 2012.