Chapala.com Webboard

Speaking of masks

I've pretty much been living like a hermit for the past 2 weeks, but I get the impression that if I do go out and interact some people are expecting me to wear a mask. First question, is there anywhere around here to source a useful mask?

Secondly, any opinions on the actual utility of various masks?  Internet research backs up old information that I had that the only real protective mask is the n95 which protects against aerosol type small droplet spray and some or most bacteria/viruses and which we are asked to reserve for health care workers. Surgical and other more penetrable masks are only advised for people who are actually sick (protects others from large droplet coughing/sneezing) or those caring at home for someone (better than nothing?). Somewhat recommended for long periods in a close environment (planes, etc.), but not with a lot of reassurance, and not recommended for just walking down the street.

Also, most people I see wearing them touch them, adjust them, and often pull them down to converse with store clerks etc. which supposedly negates there purpose. Is it mostly a feel good type of thing?

I have aan announcement that appearee in France.. about masks  ... where there are no masks.. 2 types are one way mask. one protects from receiving the virus, the other from passing it on  , two masks are two ways (one of whch is not available period) the other is in such short supply that only doctors can get and even for them, it is almost impossible to get.. all the other  are totally useless... I do not know about Jalisco but here in San Cristobal de las Casas there are none of any type  so no pont worryng about it..

I found it easy and economical to find and/or buy "DUST" masks. But there is a big difference between a dust mask and one that will protect you from viruses. I will check tomorrow and I bet that if in fact my pharmacy carried them, that they will be sold out by now

While there aren't a lot wearing masks, I observed as many Mexicans wearing them as expats in the past 10 days.  Pre-coronavirus, it was the responsibility of the sick to wear the masks to protect others, at least in Japan on the subways.

3 minutes ago, Ellie said:

So you either get home and wash your gloves with soap and water - OR throw them away and start a shortage of gloves.

Cleaning and reusing sounds good to me. Can anybody point out the problem?

Today I washed two pair of gloves and found one leaker. Three out of four will be reused unless somebody can convince me otherwise. 

• Like 1

I went to Soriana at 7am this morning.  I didn't see anyone waiting for buses in either side of the carretera wearing masks.  One other shopper, no mask no gloves. I didn't see any employees with masks or gloves.  I wore both.

We live in Colonos de Brisas de Chapala, doorbell just rang. It was a 2020 census person. No mask, no gloves.

5 hours ago, Joyinmexico said:

With the MOST serious situation being discussed you maker a JOKE ABOUT IT? No wonder people say there are only drunk stupid old men in Ajijic!

I don't drink and I'm female. And I am very glad that "attitude" is not contagious. Lighten up.

• Like 2

ja ja , I do not think the hijab qoub be useful but the niqab or shador may help .. Lighten up joyinmexico, or it is going to be a long long 3 months or more... The situation s what it is and joking about it is a way to cope with it which is probably more healthy than being totally stressed out aout it, that is how the catarinas in Mexco came about:  they were so many people killed during the revolution that  the catarinas ,ocking death became a big hit..

Your name say it all JOY in Mexico..

• Like 2

When I see others with a mask it heightens my awareness  of the necessity to err on the side of caution with hand washing and maintaining distance from each other.  That is a good thing to maintain awareness.  In regards to the comments of the other older expats with depressed immune systems who are of the opinion that this is all a overblown hoax, I sincerely hope you are right.  Best of luck to you in the event you are wrong.  

kiko, I do not believe it is overblown or an  hoax but we have to take one step at a time.. we now that the great majority of the people survive it. My brother and his wife and family got it. He is in his lat 60´s and he survive it at home but they are people who die from it and the hospitals  in some countries in Europe are over their capcty and it is dangerous for people who are very sick.

Whatever we can do  to prevent the weaker ones to survive is a very good thing. On the other hand we cannot stop living because we may die because we  will all get it in the end.. A hoax I do not believe it is at all.. In the meanwhile we need to make the best of every day and enjoy the days we have and we cannot stop laughing because that is the best defense we have.

I am, 74 so I am in the high risk braket,  who has no bed in France when push to shove comes, so  I am taking it seriously , two of my cousins have cancer and are the high risk list as well but besides trying not to contaminate others , there is nothing we can do . If it is our turn , it is our turn-

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ferret said:

I don't drink and I'm female. And I am very glad that "attitude" is not contagious. Lighten up.

Ahhh, a female who jokes about hijabs! You certainly are a sensitive respectful one! I do not have to "lighten up" gang, especially when there is a pandemic going on, all while you all BS here.  Yes, you can wash gloves, DUH! YES you even can wash some masks or and double them up and they help in many ways. God people, READ, and  I would stay off the bus (unless gloved and masked) since metal holds the virus for over a week. BTW, my census taker had both gloves and mask and I counted 3 others in the past day!  

Actually, my best research says less than 72 hours. But be aware: all that will get you is the RNA of the bug, not the DNA, as the efficacy wears off much more quickly. And the DNA needs to be there to infect. All the RNA will do is tell you there were traces at one point.

Plus, when did making a joke about hijabs become disrespectful in this sense? This particular humour was pointing in the opposite direction: a good reason.

• Like 1