Chapala.com Webboard

Purple garlic brothers

Ian Greenwood

Just picked up a wonderful looking pizza from purple garlic brothers in San Antonio...he said he didn’t want to open but has run out of cash getting his new location ready .Just down the street  ( San Jose ..?) from the light at the Coca Cola plant about 1/2 bock ...3310913385......they need all the hope they can get......at the moment they are not delivering . ...before the trolls arrive ...bathed in alcohol and quarantined myself in the car and used the horn to signal my arrival .

Driving from the west pass C/C turn right at light ( San Jose..?)  towards the lake ...about 1/2 block....no real sign of course...it’s on the left ...looks like a shuttered garage ...just like the old Perry’s ....tiny sandwich board...maybe? ...Pizza was great...N Y style crust...

• Thanks 1

Followed Ian's advice and ordered a large pepperoni and onion last night. Ready in 15 minutes, cost $200 and was good. The crust was chewy and delicious. Good sauce and nice amount of toppings. I talked the them a few weeks back and I know they had some startup problems in their new  place. Give them a try so that they can still be here when this virus problem is over.

• 3 weeks later...

As of 15 April this place must have closed. Operator says number does not exist. Any other number available?

Correction! Just some trouble with their line as he called me back and I ordered my pizza. It was a little light on the cheese and could have used more pepperoni to be considered a good pizza. I have to agree that the crust was in fact chewy as was previously reported.

Yes l’m  a little obsessive / compulsive about food...it comes with the territory...l ‘ m a Chef. .when ordering a pizza ,before I leave the house   ( I always  p/ up  ). I   chop onion and plenty of garlic and sauté spinach and mushroom s .  I turn on the oven to max..scatter a little cornmeal on a pizza tray .. Arrive early... perhaps a glass of wine if It’s too early....When it’s ready  (ordered crispy )  never let them close the box....it steams . Hurry home ..top with the spinach etc . 500 degree oven.......5 minutes  ... a hand full of fresh basil or arugula...grated Parmesan......perfecto... had one tonight from purple garlic....less than $ 10 without tip  and of course without the wine.....please tip as generously as poss ‘ cos like every other restaurant in town they are struggling...

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

They are delivering now. I had the spinach, chicken, blue cheese (has a name but I don't remember it) and it was WONDERFUL!!!! My new favorite pizza. And the pizza bones were delicious.

That's not a pizza anymore. It may be delicous, but that's not a pizza.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Why is that any less a pizza than that Mexican favorite, pineapple & ham? According to Mr Google, traditional pizza toppings include:

• Margherita: tomato sauce, mozzarella.
  • Funghi: tomato sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms.
  • Capricciosa: tomato sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms, ham, eggs, artichoke, cocktail sausages, green olives.
  • Quattro Stagioni: tomato sauce, mozzarella, ham, black olives, mushrooms, artichoke, peas, salami, eggs.

How about we consider it a gourmet pizza?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Why is that any less a pizza than that Mexican favorite, pineapple & ham? According to Mr Google, traditional pizza toppings include:

• Margherita: tomato sauce, mozzarella.
  • Funghi: tomato sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms.
  • Capricciosa: tomato sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms, ham, eggs, artichoke, cocktail sausages, green olives.
  • Quattro Stagioni: tomato sauce, mozzarella, ham, black olives, mushrooms, artichoke, peas, salami, eggs.

How about we consider it a gourmet pizza?

The second two are already “considered” gourmet pizza so why not yours, indeed. As for the ham and pineapple one, do not get me started. I actually like the odd flavor and eat it when I have to but it is not pizza either. Since it can not be considered “gourmet” by anyone’s standards and can not be called an open-faced sandwich,  “pizza” it is. And now, dammit, I WANT PIZZA!

Pretty much US and Canadian pizza styles have nothing to do with Italy or gourmet. As I've always said, the dough is simply a delivery mechanism for whatever you want on top. (Yes, dough afficionados will argue about that comment, and that's okay. Most Mexican pizzas are slighly gourmet in nature simply because so many start with a thin, crispy crust. But we are pretty much all expats here, which means we didn't grow up with gourmet or Italian pizzas (seriously, a slice of pie from a New York pizza joint owned and operated by the offsp;ring of an Italian immigrant family is not Italian pizza). Which means when I talk about pizza, I'm assuming I'm in an audience of mostly like-minded people. (And that has proven true most of the time.) That's precisely why I said it may be delicious... but it's not pizza.

Ordered a pizza from Purple Garlic last night as  we have many times before.  The pizza arrived promptly, still warm, but the delivery person had no mask or gloves. Okay, we were super hungry and ate it anyway but I just wanted to say (in case I..you know..don't make it), the pizza was not that good..not worth..you know.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2020 at 7:29 PM, kam said:

Ordered a pizza from Purple Garlic last night as  we have many times before.  The pizza arrived promptly, still warm, but the delivery person had no mask or gloves. Okay, we were super hungry and ate it anyway but I just wanted to say (in case I..you know..don't make it), the pizza was not that good..not worth..you know.

I hope you let them know this was not acceptable and will affect future orders. 

• Like 1