Chapala.com Webboard

Airline bailout

Here is the latest from Spain.  Again I say, no one is going to want to travel until this CV pandemic is gone.  The horrors just keep mounting.  It will be even worse for the USA if trump cancels the Shelter in Place strategies anywhere.  That is the ONLY way we can get ahead of the curve.  Once you are behind it, it is too late.  You can't put "the economy" ahead of people's lives!

https://www.irishpost.com/news/bodies-abandoned-elderly-people-discovered-retirement-homes-spanish-soldiers-182052

pend on baggage and change fees to make a profit.

2 hours ago, tkessler said:

We need to bring back the trains for trips 400 miles or less and use the airlines for the longer hauls.    

The trains are there in the U.S. AMTRAK. Sometimes, "Amtrak" will use buses.

I have taken Amtrak a few times and one long-haul train in Europe in 1971. 

I enjoy train rides, but not usually for going cross-country, unless the train is part of the experience. 

I still say, limit multi million dollar salaries/bonuses, stock options, buybacks and unconscionable penalties/fees. 

What makes a CEO worth millions a year, and the the doctors/nurses/lab techs/etc. that save lives, worth maybe 15% of that. 

When the pandemic is over, the curve between the CEOs and middle class,needs to be addressed and leveled.

Please direct any personal comments about/to me, through I.M.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Doesn't capitalism work on the risk/reward system? The only losers should be the stockholders. If there is a bankruptcy, the planes will be auctioned and new investors can reengage them.

Many of the world's finest 5 star are or were partly owned by their governments. This is always superior to letting them go under due to a market turndown like we are seeing. Air Canada, Lufthansa, Emirates, JAL, KAL, Kawaiti, Quansa and many others have been "bailed out" or had investments by their government. Perhaps it's not fair that our carriers compete with government backed carriers. I do think that any investment in an airline should be accompanied by rules including fees and penalties and checked bags included. The FAA should make rules that require seats be 26" pitch and 20" wide at least as a safety measure. Are you sure you want to loose 621K union jobs?

Other carriers partially owned by the governments here